The State of Quantum Computing Systems: Current Designs and Future Challenges

It's one of the strangest scientific advances for mankind ever. We don't know how entanglement even works but we're leveraging the effect.

It's one of the strangest scientific advances for mankind ever. We don't know how entanglement even works but we're leveraging the effect.
It is almost like "experience based magic" in some RPG systems: the magic user doesn't understand what makes it work, but knows that uttering a weird phrase while waving hands in an even wierder way will cause a bolt of electricity appear somehow, mostly the intended way...:)
Exciting and (frankly) a bit scary stuff...

Analog computing. Now will this fit into their New Green Deal? This seemingly requiring a lot of power to run.

Reminds me of my friend's wife saying: " I do not understand how the television works, the antenna is disconnected", and my friend answers: "And when the antenna is connected you do understand how television works ?"
The thing is we do not really know how the sun attracts earth, we do not know how light travels through vacuum. We just know to write the equations and make predictions, and the same happens with quantum physics.

Software Engineer speaking: We're as clueless as the rest of you. I do have doubts though, specifically the accuracy over trillions of instructions. As anyone who understands how computers work, even 99.9999999999% accuracy is going to cause problems. I'm not sure if decoherence is going to be a problem you can overcome to an acceptable degree for the purpose of running an OS the way we think of them today.

Been seeing articles about how quantum computing will take over for at least 30 yrs now. seems like climate change doom, always just around the corner, never here. I'm not entirely sure it exists too be honest. Much like climate change LOL.

What is a vacuum tube transistor? I have never heard of one.

I have worked with vacuum tubes and transistors, but never with a vacuum tube transistor.

Analog computing. Now will this fit into their New Green Deal? This seemingly requiring a lot of power to run.
Indeed insane much power is needed to get it even started, as the cooling solutions need the ultimate cold close to maximum we are able to cool devices.
It needs to be cooled at the most insane extreme low temps, this can only be created with a power station just for the cooling of this one device.
We are talking about the lowest temps mankind can create.
And I must add its only usefull for certain tasks, there will never be a quantum computer for medium of small companies or gamers it simply is useless for us.
Climate change does not need science to proof it is happening nor can anyone escape it, we are already way too far already.
The streams in the oceans are already affected and will produce the next global die out of life that is for sure.
With a lot of luck some of the life living now will survive like roaches if they survive, but I am hoping not to be still alive when the world gets hit by what we humans in our ***** greed and destructing habits triggered.
I am pretty sure we are already paste the point of repair as non of the greatest forests and wildlife resorts are protected anymore.
We actually have more animals in cages than their living on the places where there should be wildlife, we have so many farmed animals for meat that wildlife has no place to live anymore. I see everyday messages that species died out around us in a scary pace, and I am not even talking about the massive floating factories which destroy all live in the seas as well.
So count on the planet giving payback as it always has done when things go out of control, it will whipe the planet clean and the cycle starts over, probably now this time much less will survive. But mankind will for sure be erased.

Last edited:
Colossus was secret, and the Zuse Z1 was also not generally well-known. And the Atanasoff-Berry Computer became generally known in a legal case long after it was made. But there was one computer before ENIAC that was publicized, the Harvard Mark I. I am strongly inclined to categorize it as the starting point for the computer revolution.
That is, one digital computer. If one counts analog computers, then, of course, there's Vannevar Bush's Differential Analyzer, which also recieved significant publicity.

Last edited:
What is a vacuum tube transistor? I have never heard of one.

I have worked with vacuum tubes and transistors, but never with a vacuum tube transistor.
I think this awkward phrase was used because some younger people nowadays would not know that a vacuum tube was an active component that could be used to amplify signals, like a transistor. So he was referring to the vacuum tube as a kind of transistor, because it did the same thing.

Back