The State of the Nintendo Switch

Would love to own one, but the price is a bit high for my taste.

Waiting for a bundle deal or 15-20% giftcard or coupon situation to pick on up.

Sold off my NES classic and SNES classic to make room for a Switch, I'm sure when the Virtual Console comes into play I’ll be forced to get one.

I guess you could say, you really 'switched' your opinion?
I know I know, so bad, its good.

Got the kids both Nintendo Switch from Santa this year.

Games are a little on the pricey side for my liking. Spent around the same price as an actual unit on 6 games for the device.

To be honest, I'm wondering, when/if it will be cracked rather soon?

Or emulated considering the specs and the likes of CEMU doing a half decent job of emulating the WiiU.

I just flat out disagree with anyone who says "Nintendo is strong again."

Look they are definitely better than the "Wii U days", but that's basically saying nothing at all. The Wii U had trouble beating the Dreamcast, and the Vita crushed it. When I look at the charts right now, the Switch is selling half as well as the PS4.

Note that Nintendo is intending for the Switch to replace BOTH its home and its mobile console, and idk it seems like overall it's gonna end up selling half of its former combined number... Oh and the 3DS + WIi U sold WAY worse than its previous generation...

I just flat out disagree with anyone who says "Nintendo is strong again."

Look they are definitely better than the "Wii U days", but that's basically saying nothing at all. The Wii U had trouble beating the Dreamcast, and the Vita crushed it. When I look at the charts right now, the Switch is selling half as well as the PS4.

Note that Nintendo is intending for the Switch to replace BOTH its home and its mobile console, and idk it seems like overall it's gonna end up selling half of its former combined number... Oh and the 3DS + WIi U sold WAY worse than its previous generation...

It's more about profits than userbase. Nintendo's profit margin on what they sell is insane. Where other companies (like Sony and M$) are selling the consoles at about cost, Nintendo is making a significant profit off of both the console (a glorified tablet) and the games (which are the most expensive, for what you get, in the entire industry.

The Switch was not intended to steal from the handheld market. Nintendo said they would update the 3DS. That still hasn't happened and it seems to have been largely forgotten with the massive success of the Switch.

I grew up on Nintendo and their IP is some of my all time favorite. I just don't get why people will basically buy the same IP over, and over, and over. I bought my wife a Switch and she will defend it like a teenager defends their choice in music.

You mix in the high profit margin, the ramping up of production, and the loyal fanbase and you've got a juggernaut.

Don't forget, they announced that the new iteration of Pokemon RPG will be for the switch! This will be the first time, ever, that a main Pokemon RPG will be playable on a TV! Pokemon still has major appeal, so I believe this game will be huge.

I think the Switch really complements PC gaming.

I can play all the big multi-platform titles on my PC, an area the Switch is not good at. Online multiplayer is best on PC, another failure of the Switch.

On the other hand, Switch has the portability factor that PC, PS4 and XBOX can't do and local multiplayer is best on the Switch.

I hadn't bought a console since the 360, but I'm really looking forward to playing the Switch I bought "for the children" for Christmas.

Will there be a new Super Smash Bros for Switch? That might make me think about picking one up...

It's only a matter of time....

Nintendo has shown it is going to milk its IP on the Switch. Already has Mario, Zelda, Mario Kart. Metroid, Kirby and Yoshi games have been announced. And the Switch got Gamecube controller support (big plus for Smash Brothers.)

Nintendo has shown it is going to milk its IP on the Switch. Already has Mario, Zelda, Mario Kart. Metroid, Kirby and Yoshi games have been announced. And the Switch got Gamecube controller support (big plus for Smash Brothers.)
Yeah... but no announcements yet... I'll hold off a bit - they'll only get cheaper, the longer I wait :)

Yeah... but no announcements yet... I'll hold off a bit - they'll only get cheaper, the longer I wait :)

Don't place too much hope in that. Nintendo is pretty atrocious at lowering the price. Throughout the year it was hard enough to find one in stock (and almost impossible when it first came out).

The real hope for price: 1) the accessories become cheaper; and, 2) the games don't cost so much after they are 1-2 years old. I don't see the system itself going on sale for a very, very long time.

It's more about profits than userbase. Nintendo's profit margin on what they sell is insane. Where other companies (like Sony and M$) are selling the consoles at about cost, Nintendo is making a significant profit off of both the console (a glorified tablet) and the games (which are the most expensive, for what you get, in the entire industry.

The Switch was not intended to steal from the handheld market. Nintendo said they would update the 3DS. That still hasn't happened and it seems to have been largely forgotten with the massive success of the Switch.

I grew up on Nintendo and their IP is some of my all time favorite. I just don't get why people will basically buy the same IP over, and over, and over. I bought my wife a Switch and she will defend it like a teenager defends their choice in music.

You mix in the high profit margin, the ramping up of production, and the loyal fanbase and you've got a juggernaut.

I will ignore MS because they XBOX has almost never made any profit for them, but Sony on the other hand is wreaking in the profits. In fact they are making a ton of money BECAUSE they sell their consoles without a ridiculous mark-up. Sony sells 2-3x as many consoles as Nintendo, and that means 2-3x as many people buying games. The attachment rate on Playstation is also higher, and they are also making money with PS+.

So what I am saying is that "yes" - Nintendo is profiting again. But there is a fairly low ceiling to their business model. Nintendo is still using a 1980's business model while Sony is (successfully) expanding its Playstation line into VR and even TV!

I was thinking about buying the switch for my son for xmas but it's simply too expensive. The console is around the same price as the PS4 but accessories for the Switch are ridiculously expensive: the pro controller is £60 in UK and a spare joy-con with a charging grip is £95!

Back