"The subsystem needed for this image type does not exist."

wisenblaker

I am currently getting the error above when trying to run any program besides windows based ones on my Lenovo laptop. A week ago I had a start up loop issue but was able to end it by restoring said computer. Now all I get is this error and I am unable to access the internet at all. I have already tried using the FRST tool and have both the FRST log and the services log from the program. I had been following a thread helped by Broni on this site but ran into trouble when the fixlist became computer specific. Any help would be great! I am running windows 7 home premium.

Please be more specific - - EXACTLY which program causes this error?

Pretty much any program I try...I noticed it first with chrome but any non standard program on my laptop seems to have this issue. If I go through the control panel and try to find the program under the program and features resource it is not there.

Ok, forget Chrome for now - - show me the path to and the name of an example if you want some help - - I don't read Tarot Cards.

Example program: OuickTime Player

"C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\QuickTimePlayer.exe

The subsystem needed to support the image type is not present."

I did a bit of googling and this is what I came up with.

That error message seems related to 64-bit systems. And based on the path you gave jobeard you must be running 64 bit Win 7.

On the one hand, it might be the result of some severe system problem ( I even saw a MS kb about that msg due to 32-bit support turned off but that was about a 64-bit Windows Server, not a Win 7 PC)

On the other hand, you mentioned following a thread by Broni. (I think I found that thread too). https://www.techspot.com/community/...tical-error-and-will-restart-in-1-min.186043/

You might be best to first rule out malware. That means creating your own malware thread! (Start with the steps provided in the sticky at the start of the malware forum) fyi..You can't follow malware advice for someone else. You need to create your own thread and follow the advice specific to you.

If the malware people think it's a systems problem, they'll send you back here to the non-malware forums for help

/* EDIT */
p.s. Whether turns out malware or maybe worse if a systems issue, it sounds (to me) like alot of work. So if you also have the option of a recovery partition (back to factory default) or a Windows re-install, that may turn out to be the "shortest distance between two points". But in any case, is up to you.

Thanks for your help Lookin, I will definitely try the malware route first since I had already tried the "System Restore" option given by Windows.

Somewhere in your efforts, try sfc /scannow to correct system issues

Thanks jobeard, I did run the sfc scan earlier in my efforts and it found issues but was unable to correct all of them. Right now I am in a repair session with Broni, the guy I mentioned earlier. Hopefully his help will work out and if not back to square one.

If you have a thread in the Virus and Malware forum, you don't need a parallel thread here. I'm closing this for now. If you need it reopened after you are done in the VM forum, you can PM me.

Back