The United Nations want to study solar geoengineering to fight climate change

Alfonso Maruccia

Staff
The big picture: Efforts to reduce global greenhouse gas emissions aren't working, and the world is on track to exceed the 1.5° C limit set with the Paris Agreements goal. As such, emergency "temporary" measures like Solar Radiation Modification should be considered to buy humanity more time to avoid the worst.

Solar Radiation Modification (SRM), or more broadly solar geoengineering, is a type of technologies that can theoretically reflect sunlight back into outer space thus cooling Earth's atmosphere. According to a newly-published report by the United Nations, SRM is still a "speculative group of technologies" which should, however, be studied more rigorously as we are running out of time for any meaningful effort to curb global warming.

Prepared by a panel of experts within the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP), the report is promoting a rapid review of the state of scientific research on SRM technology and solutions. Climate action is lagging, the experts say, but solar geoengineering still requires more research before any consideration for "potential deployment."

SRM could knock the global average temperature down in a very short timeframe, but it also brings some dangerous risks for the future of our planet. After all, we only have one atmosphere, the experts warn, so we can't risk a global catastrophe because we are in a hurry to bring down the temperatures of an increasingly hotter, inhospitable and unpredictable planet.

Speculations about the potential effects of reflecting solar radiation back into space are based on the observations of aerosol particles spreads by large volcanic eruptions into the upper atmosphere. Scientists know that a "deliberate injection of large amounts of reflective particles into the stratosphere would cool the Earth rapidly," the UN report says.

If global warming were to produce intolerable outcomes such as widespread famines, mass migration, mass mortality or infrastructure destruction, the report states, a "planned" emergency response based on SRM technologies could alleviate some of the harsher effects of a worsening global warming within a few years.

But SRM can be extremely dangerous and bring many ethical issues to the table, as it's a relatively low-cost solution – with an estimated $20 billion expense per 1 degree Celsius of cooling per year – within reach of many countries and potentially "rogue" organizations.

For instance, sulfur dioxide is one of the substances commonly proposed as an aerosol, but it could result in acid rain and deplete the recently recovered ozone layer over the Antarctic. Furthermore, acid rain would also affect those countries which didn't agree to the SRM option, so a discussion within the United Nations is the only viable way to bring global consensus on the matter.

Permalink to story.

They've been predicting that a "planetary catastrophe" is "5-10 years away" for the last 50 years. Anyone remember the school books in the 80s that said Florida would be underwater by 2005 and we'd run out of food by 1999? My favorite was the one that said oil would run out by 2004.

Frankly, The alarmism is doing more damage then climate change in of itself. If they really cared, they'd go after india and china's coal burning, or ocean vessels injecting bunker oil emissions directly into the ocean, or go after plastic production. But those would cost the 1% money, so.........

Of course, better altering the motherfreaking sun and the whole earth atmosphere than to stop throwing crap in the atmosphere to always make more money...

They've been predicting that a "planetary catastrophe" is "5-10 years away" for the last 50 years. Anyone remember the school books in the 80s that said Florida would be underwater by 2005 and we'd run out of food by 1999? My favorite was the one that said oil would run out by 2004.

I never heard any of those things, what the hell were you reading? I guess if you want to find the most alarmist things possible, you can always find some nutter saying just about anything. There's still loads of it today.

I never heard any of those things, what the hell were you reading? I guess if you want to find the most alarmist things possible, you can always find some nutter saying just about anything. There's still loads of it today.
Yes, Drama garners more attention - even if its based on some nutter.

Gee. What could possible go wrong with this? I suppose they are sure that it would cause no harm.

It reminds me of that episode of Star Trek: TNG where Lor tells Data that they used to call his creator "Often wrong Sung" because he was always sure, but often wrong.

Humanity is ripe with doing things that have not turned out as expected. Maybe someday, humanity will get something like this right.

So someone at the UN got bored and decided they want to play [Insert name of deity of choice here], and odd that they don't think about climate change also happening naturally and have gone full bore "we must reduce the heating of the sun", seemingly someone had a hair brained idea without thinking about weather effects, effects on ecosystem of plants and aninals and so forth, so seems to me someone wanted to stir some noise so it looks like they are doing something....

Sure climate change is a problem, but I think these organisations need to realise that a component of it was going to happen anyway naturally

You either don't sound North American, or had your head buried in the sand up until now.

All I need to say is "Al Gore icecaps" for some obvious mainstream alarmist crap. Sums up the last 50+ years of alarmism concerning global cooling global warming climate change...

Frankly, The alarmism is doing more damage then climate change in of itself. If they really cared, they'd go after india and china's coal burning, or ocean vessels injecting bunker oil emissions directly into the ocean, or go after plastic production. But those would cost the 1% money, so.........

Exactly! Oh for how many decades have I heard "The sea level is rising, it's rising!" Well, where is it? I'm still waiting. Come on now, don't be shy.
Everything turned out to be a scam. Parasites from the west made up new schemes to fool the gullible. Now we have to pay for absurdities, like carbon tax. And they don't even use the money for anything good, no, they just use it for more corruption, make up new schemes and make us pay even more for made up things!
Now they have started a war against "disinformation". They want to block, if not make it criminally punishable to spread any info that harms their parasitic business. You will never see even a crumb of truth on the internet.
Only try to convince any TV/MSM worshiper, they will only rage at you, deny everything, and call you a conspiracy theorist. Because a fool has to be proud of his foolishness. Obey and consume.

Sulfur dioxide is clearly a bad idea. It would be nice to have a list of the better options that have been proposed.

Acid rain doesn't just damage vegetation. It acidifies soil and water. Many plant species rely on neutral and basic soil and acidic water can cause problems as well.

Destroying the ozone layer is also bad news.

However, most of the comments so far have been the argument that humanity is sane when it takes radical action that affects the climate/planet/ecology (what is blithely referred to as industrial development) and insane if it tries to correct the lethal damage that that action causes. That doesn't add up.

Exactly! Oh for how many decades have I heard "The sea level is rising, it's rising!" Well, where is it? I'm still waiting. Come on now, don't be shy.
Everything turned out to be a scam. Parasites from the west made up new schemes to fool the gullible. Now we have to pay for absurdities, like carbon tax. And they don't even use the money for anything good, no, they just use it for more corruption, make up new schemes and make us pay even more for made up things!
Now they have started a war against "disinformation". They want to block, if not make it criminally punishable to spread any info that harms their parasitic business. You will never see even a crumb of truth on the internet.
Only try to convince any TV/MSM worshiper, they will only rage at you, deny everything, and call you a conspiracy theorist. Because a fool has to be proud of his foolishness. Obey and consume.

In Italy, the Po river (one of the main drivers for agriculture in the northern part of the country) has no water even now that we are in Winter. No water, in Winter. Predictions for Summer of this year are simply catastrophic, with drinkable water shortages for large parts of the population and an overall destruction for farming and other fundamental sectors of our economy. We saw the first signals of this in the Summer of 2022 already.

The Alps are rapidly losing their everlasting snows, and the 0 °C isotherm has reached obscene altitudes. Large parts of the world are living this disaster now, not in the next 5 or 10 years. Please stop your dangerous propaganda.

Last edited:
The more people try to do something to alter what is happening naturally, the more damage we will do to ourselves. Observe that here we are talking about reflecting heat away from the earth, but yet on the other hand, we are installing more and more black surfaced solar panels. Are the solar panels not absorbing more heat? If you own a solar panel, feel free to quickly touch it when its been under hot sun for some time. It is not warm by the way, it is HOT. Or you can put a black tinted glass out in the sun in the afternoon, and it will also feel hot. There are other examples of people trying to engineer something to go around nature, but ended up badly. Just like Alfonso mentioned above, hydro electric plants is also another classic example where we solve power issue, but created even more downstream impact.

Anyone who really wants to understand the subject should look at the IPCC (The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change). For a well sourced and properly documented critique, search "corbett report IPCC". There have been scathing, comprehensive and most importantly, scientifically legitimate criticisms of the data within the IPCC reports that underpins the model of man-made global warming that many people are unaware of.

In Italy, the Po river (one of the main drivers for agriculture in the northern part of the country) has no water even now that we are in Winter. No water, in Winter. Predictions for Summer of this year are simply catastrophic, with drinkable water shortages for large parts of the population and an overall destruction for farming and other fundamental sectors of our economy. We saw the first signals of this in the Summer of 2022 already.

The Alps are rapidly losing their everlasting snows, and the 0 °C isotherm has reached obscene altitudes. Large parts of the world are living this disaster now, not in the next 5 or 10 years. Please stop your dangerous propaganda.

So what. This has occurred in the past, it will happen again. The weather patterns on this planet are CYCLIC and I'm sick and tired of every event in nature being blamed upon climate change.

The climate change Doomsday followers can go take a long walk off a shirt pier.

Back