The wierdest computer problem ever

DjKraid

So, I recently fired up my old PC and it worked for a while just fine but now all of a sudden it speeds up like crazy. The analog gadget clock spins like a fan and every keystroke gets "pushed" at least 20 times if I just tap it once.
The question is, is there a way to "vsync" or slow down the computer to a normal rate?

How old? Sounds almost like a dying CMOS battery (the little button battery on your mobo).

I'd turn PC off, unplug from power, take out this battery, press power buttons, then assemble it 10 mins later and turn it on and see.

#St1ckM4n - it's old but not that old :p
- abit A-S78H
- 6Gb DDR2 800MHz
- AMD Athlon x2 4450e

It runs exactly 60 times too fast and with the help of that info I managed to find a solution...which I haven't tried out yet...I'll get back to that later :)

Oh well, now I have tried the things that should have solved the problem:
-> Throwing a bunch of commands (can't remember which) to fix the windows clock timers - with no luck
-> Flashed the BIOS back to the stoneage = "factory BIOS"
-> Setting all the CPU and memory settings manualy in the BIOS

Nothing just seems to help, the exact problem is that the system runs exactly 60 times faster than what it should. This results in that 1 "irl min" = 1h in the computer and that also means that there's no double clicking...unless you do it 60 times faster than usually...which is IMPOSSIBRUUU
The problem only comes randomly, I ran a few different stresstests when the computer ran at normal speed just to see if it would fail at some point...but no...it ran 12h non stop with the cpu at full load...so now I'm open for suggestions...anyone...please...?

As I said, the problem just comes randomly and I would have to boot with ubuntu for ages before I could get the problem to come...and that's not even sure, it might be that I would have to install it for the problem to come up which would be pretty pointless.
Anyways, I also tried a few times earlier before the BIOS rollback with a Ubuntu 6.10 live CD with no problems...even tho that's besides the point...

Back