The Witcher: Blood Origin is Netflix's next live-action monster-slaying series

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
In context: The Witcher franchise started as a series of books and short stories. CD Projekt Red took Andrzej Sapkowski's universe and turned it into a multimillion-dollar video game powerhouse. Netflix then capitalized on it with an original live-action series, then an anime (in pre-production). Now it has another show in the works looking at the origins of The Witcher universe. If Sapkowski had only seen this coming, he'd have asked for more money.

On Monday, Netflix announced that it greenlit a new production set in The Witcher universe. The show will be called "The Witcher: Blood Origin." The six-part miniseries will explore the origins of the witchers.

According to showrunner Lauren Schmidt Hissrich, 1200 years before Geralt of Rivia was born, "the worlds of monsters, men, and elves merged." From this conjunction, the Witcher class emerged. Declan de Barra, the screenwriter for the wildly successful Netflix Original, is penning the new show.

Although details are scarce, it sounds like Blood Origin will focus on the very first Witcher. Of course, if it is successful, that plot leaves the door wide open for further spinoffs or even another regular series that explores the lineage of the clan.

The show is not the only way Netflix is looking to capitalize on the popularity of its new franchise. In January, the streaming giant commissioned Studio Mir to produce an anime based on the novels called "The Witcher: Nightmare of the Wolf." The show even spawned a soundtrack, largely thanks to the "Toss a Coin to Your Witcher" song from Season 1.

Hissrich did not mention when The Witcher: Blood Origins would be premiering. Presumably, it will be a while—perhaps after season 2 of the main series concludes, but that's just a wild guess. In an age of binge-watching, the breaks between seasons are particularly pronounced. Having related material to watch while its most successful debuting show ever is filming might keep the momentum going.

Permalink to story.

Mister_K

^ well those two answers are a complete split.

It took some getting used to, but overall, the show is decent!

Evernessince

^ well those two answers are a complete split.

It took some getting used to, but overall, the show is decent!
They kind of flubbed the first season TBH. It could have been a lot better then just decent. At the very least people liked it so they will get more chances to make it better.

Mister_K

They kind of flubbed the first season TBH. It could have been a lot better then just decent. At the very least people liked it so they will get more chances to make it better.
Yep exactly that, but usually its around season 3 where shows get good. Either hit it out the park in s01, experiment in s02 and do what works in s03. Looking forward, not like there is anything good on streams anyway...

Reactions: Evernessince

PurpleYoda

Streaming services... Netflix particularly brought us 2 things - “boxets” available without a need for an actual “boxet” AND “seasons” that are at best half of what used to be recognised as a season only a few years ago.. I mean to call 10 episodes a season?? This would constitute part one of the season with mid season finale and all, anyone remembers those? Now we’re lucky if we get to get 10 episodes! Makes me cringe when I think about it.. Don’t het me wrong I like the convenience that comes with having access to all these shows at arms length but with such short runs there is no more tome for character development!

Mister_K

Streaming services... Netflix particularly brought us 2 things - “boxets” available without a need for an actual “boxet” AND “seasons” that are at best half of what used to be recognised as a season only a few years ago.. I mean to call 10 episodes a season?? This would constitute part one of the season with mid season finale and all, anyone remembers those? Now we’re lucky if we get to get 10 episodes! Makes me cringe when I think about it.. Don’t het me wrong I like the convenience that comes with having access to all these shows at arms length but with such short runs there is no more tome for character development!
Those shows still exist but are quite terrible.

TV has come a long way and often, better than what you get at the cinema. Quality/Filming time directly affects the cost which results in smaller seasonal lengths.

johnofo

British TV series are/were often 6 episodes. America's penchant for bigger seems to have led to more being 20+. But 10 episodes of 45 - 60 minutes is a lot of time for story development. Some of the series with more episodes only have episodes lasting 20 minutes.
Game of thrones seemed to work well with 10 longer episodes, up to the last couple of seasons when everything felt rushed and writing felt poor.

PurpleYoda

British TV series are/were often 6 episodes. America's penchant for bigger seems to have led to more being 20+. But 10 episodes of 45 - 60 minutes is a lot of time for story development. Some of the series with more episodes only have episodes lasting 20 minutes.
Game of thrones seemed to work well with 10 longer episodes, up to the last couple of seasons when everything felt rushed and writing felt poor.
Not the series I had in mind: Babylon 5, any Start Trek, Battlestar Gallactica, Lost, Colony, Alias, I could go on, none of them 20mins long ;-)