The world's largest video game collection consists of more than 20,000 titles

Shawn Knight

Staff member
WTF?! Finding something to play shouldn't be all that hard for Antonio Romero Monteiro considering he owns more than 20,000 games spanning consoles from the second to eighth generation. If you've played it or even heard of it, odds are, he has it.

The Guinness World Record for the largest collection of video games was recently awarded to a Texas man whose collection is so extensive, it took officials eight days to count.

Antonio Romero Monteiro of Richmond has amassed a staggering collection consisting of 20,139 titles, or nearly twice as many as 2014 record holder Michael Thomasson had before selling his haul for more than $750,000 at auction.

Monteiro’s collection includes complete North American libraries for the PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, PSP, Xbox, Xbox 360, Wii, Wii U, Game Cube and Dreamcast as well as games for more obscure consoles like the TurboGrafx-16, 3DO, Neo Geo Pocket, the Sega Pico and the Atari Lynx, just to name a few.

Monteiro also owns more than 100 consoles, allowing him to play each and every game in his library.

The floor-to-ceiling collection seemingly goes on forever and is filled with rarities like the Multi-Purpose Arcade Combat Simulator made exclusively for the US military. Curiously enough, Monteiro said his absolute favorite game is Castlevania IV which he described as “a masterpiece.”

Permalink to story.

That's wild. Wish we had a little more info on Mr. Monteiro and his collection.

When did he start? What does he do for a living that he can 1) afford this, and 2) afford the time. How did he come about some of his rarest games? Can you do a tour through his collection (just in case I'm ever in Richmond).

The biggest library of unplayed games.

Yep, even the biggest Steam collection is only just over 10,000 titles. Granted, they are not console games, plus will never come close (at least in value) to having a physical collection.

I've got a "large" collection of a few thousand console games but this is just incredible.

Reminds me of guys that have 100 models unbuilt in the closet. He likes the stash. I feel sorry for him

Don't know why it took officials 8 days to count to 20,000.

Did they try and use their fingers? Kept hitting 10 and got confused, 7 days later someone gave them a pen and paper...

Don't know why it took officials 8 days to count to 20,000.

Did they try and use their fingers? Kept hitting 10 and got confused, 7 days later someone gave them a pen and paper...
There is more to counting his collection than just counting numbers from 1 to 20,000. You've got to make sure the cases have discs, watch out for duplicates, understand game versions/revisions, etc. The people who do the things they do for a living typically know more than the average Joe about how to do those things.

Anyone with a collection this size means there must be something wrong with them. Right to the fear mongering, eh? Anyone different from you can only be a bad thing.
Different is not this fellows issue

Back