Thermal paste is heating up instead of cooling off my cpu

Status
Not open for further replies.

truflip

wuts the normal temp for a P4 + HT at 2400mhz 533FSP? cuz mine used to idle at about 36C n maybe 46C at full load.. i added some thermal paste (because i accidentaly "cleaned" out the old one ) n now it idles at like 40C and at full load 58-60C =S

hmm i think i used some cheap stuff.. got it for a dollar.. n its like a 1gram syringe.. neway it ses..

thermal conductivity: >7.5W/m-k
thermal resistance: >0.06C-in^2/W

i looked at some artic silver stuff.. n they seem a lot better.. much much better lol..

dont buy fanner.com's thermal paste! my CPU was better off without any paste actually..

truflip said:
i looked at some artic silver stuff.. n they seem a lot better.. much much better lol..

That wouldnt hurt at all.

truflip said:
dont buy fanner.com's thermal paste! my CPU was better off without any paste actually..

I am pretty sure that you had to have a thermal pad between the heatsink and CPU, just attaching a heatsink with nothing, would overheat very quickly. As far as increased temps, its prob. not the paste (but the dollar bargin stuff aint good) it is most likley the amount you put on. You only want a small amount, like the thickness of a peice of paper. I use an old credit card to do this. Good luck

Sean

Thermal paste is really only there to make sure you have good contact and to fill any grooves or crevices to ensure this. It isn't really used to cool anything - your HSF does most of that. That means you really want a very thin lining of thermal paste when you apply it.

hehe.. im a noob.. there was too much paste.. im back down to 37C idle.. 45 full

@ AtK SpAdE. ...no, there was no thermal pad.. just w/e paste was left on the CPU when i cleaned the Heatsink

however, theres a lil problem.. there was so much paste that when i pulled out the HS to remove some paste.. the CPU chip came out with it.. .it scared me.. is my CPU ok? i put it back on now.. n its working fine.. but i didnt even ground myself or anyhting.. :hotbounce

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back