Thermalright's new pads make applying thermal paste much easier

Daniel Sims

Staff
In context: Applying thermal paste can be one of the most delicate parts of building and customizing a PC. It's somewhat easy to make mistakes, and builders have been arguing over the best methods for years. Thermalright's new product could make the process more straightforward, especially for novice builders.

Cooler vendor Thermalright has revealed thermal pads designed for desktop CPUs. Meant for application between the processor and the heatsink, the pads replace the often tricky task of manually applying thermal paste.

Less experienced users can sometimes struggle when installing or changing a CPU. They have to be careful not to squeeze too much paste out of the tube, then set the heatsink just right so that it properly spreads the paste across the surface of the chip.

Discussions also occasionally arise over the question of which pattern will most efficiently disperse heat across the CPU. Intel and most experts agree that the simple "dot" method is best, but a test from Igor's Lab found that a straight "sausage" line can slightly lower temperatures on some larger chips.

Thermalright's thermal pads opt to spread across the entire processor with a simple square shape that's easy to apply. According to the product page, users set the pad on the heatsink, peel away the paper, and then install it onto the CPU.

The pads come pre-cut in two sizes: 30x40x0.2mm for Intel processors and 40x40x0.2mm for AMD chips. The Intel pads support 115 series LGA sockets, LGA 1200, and LGA 1700 sockets, while the AMD size fits AM4 and AM5. Collectively, they cover CPUs going back to around 2017.

Concerning price and performance, Thermalright's new product appears to compete with respectable budget thermal paste options. While the pads haven't appeared in Western markets, jd.com and Philippine store Shopee list them for around $4 or $5, and their 8.5 W/mk thermal conductivity rating puts them alongside some good affordable choices in a recent review of 90 thermal pastes from Tom's Hardware.

This makes them likely good choices for processors running at stock clock speeds, but they won't outperform more expensive pro-grade pastes. Anyone considering overclocking should probably stick to the latter, but the pads appear to be a good option for beginners building their first PC. They could serve as a middle step between stock cooling and high-end custom cooling.

Permalink to story.

Back in the days when CPUs didn't have heatspreaders, applying thermal paste could be tricky for beginners, with lots of noobs smearing paste over the entire CPU instead of just over the die area (and to make it worse they'd often use low quality paste that with time solidified into concrete). And making sure the paste stayed just over the die and didn't spread over could be a bit of a hassle.

Nowadays is a no brainer, to me applying these pads carefully, seems to be more work than just putting a few drops of paste and spreading a thin layer with a card.

Back in the days when CPUs didn't have heatspreaders, applying thermal paste could be tricky for beginners, with lots of noobs smearing paste over the entire CPU instead of just over the die area (and to make it worse they'd often use low quality paste that with time solidified into concrete). And making sure the paste stayed just over the die and didn't spread over could be a bit of a hassle.

Nowadays is a no brainer, to me applying these pads carefully, seems to be more work than just putting a few drops of paste and spreading a thin layer with a card.
I use the Cary Holtzman method, put a dot down a spread it with my finger in a nitrile glove!! 😁😁

IMO, its not difficult to apply thermal compound. I've been following the instructions at https://arcticsilver.com/methods.html It takes a bit of time, but using those instructions, it would take quite a bit to get it wrong.

Don't get me wrong, I've been using ThermalRight CPU coolers for my builds for over 10-years, and I like the company. But when you have a tube of perfectly good Arctic Ceramique 2 lying around, it would be a waste to spend more money on these pads.

Back