They warned you: Someone allegedly used a politician's cloned voice to interfere with...

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
Surprise, surprise: It was only a matter of time before someone used AI to imitate a politician to interfere in the electoral process. It's simply a given. So it should come as no surprise that someone cloned Joe Biden's voice to help suppress voting in the New Hampshire primary.

The New Hampshire Attorney General's Office is investigating a robocall that went out to voters in the state telling them not to vote in the upcoming Democratic primary election happening today. The voice on the recorded message that began circulating on Sunday sounds like President Joe Biden. However, the state's AG expects it is likely an AI clone of the president's voice.

"Although the voice in the robocall sounds like the voice of President Biden, this message appears to be artificially generated based on initial indications," the AG's office said in a Monday statement. "These messages appear to be an unlawful attempt to disrupt the New Hampshire Presidential Primary Election and to suppress New Hampshire voters."

A part of those "initial indications" is that the calls originate from the treasurer of a PAC (political action committee) supporting Biden in New Hampshire primaries, leaving no motive for the calls.

NBC News obtained a copy of the recording, which sounds much like President Biden. It even tossed out a favorite Bidenism--"malarkey."

"What a bunch of malarkey," the recording says. "You know the value of voting Democratic when our votes count. It's important that you save your vote for the November election. We'll need your help in electing Democrats up and down the ticket. Voting this Tuesday only enables the Republicans in their quest to elect Donald Trump again. Your vote makes a difference in November, not this Tuesday."

The giveaway is that there is no reason for Biden, or any other candidate, for that matter, to send out messages to constituents urging them not to vote.

Biden is already in trouble in New Hampshire because he does not appear on the primary ballot. The Hill notes that the Democrat National Committee (DNC) wanted to move the state's primary to February 3, replacing it with South Carolina. New Hampshire said no way, and somewhere in the conflict, the Biden campaign forgot to file in time for the January 23 primary. Meanwhile, the previously mentioned PAC (connected to the spoofed treasurer number) has worked to get NH voters to elect Biden as a write-in candidate.

NBC News contacted the Trump campaign, which said it had nothing to do with the calls.

Losing New Hampshire should not hurt the Biden team too much. Biden was fifth in the 2020 NH primary and still triumphed as the Democratic nominee. However, his age and political performance were unquestioned at that time. TCBS points out that this cycle has his party wondering whether he is the one who can beat Donald Trump, who is continuously looking like the presumptive Republican nominee.

It's not the first incident of bad actors using voice cloning AI to trick people. Some of the first scams began popping up last year. In those instances, the attackers were convincing people to send them money by cloning the voice of a loved one, saying he was in trouble.

To our knowledge, this is the first time anyone has used the technology to interfere with an election. However, it's highly likely it won't be the last.

Image credit: Phonlamai Photo

Permalink to story.

I mean, voice impersonators have been around since forever. And you can always grab voice clips from other sources to help make anything sound more official ("I'm so-and-so, and I approve of this message").

Faking media is old tactic.
Edit: Clarifying last point.

Last edited:
I mean, voice impersonators have been around since forever. And you can always grab voice clips from other sources to help make anything sound more official ("I'm so-and-so, and I approve of this message").

It's old tactic.
Do you have any sources showing this has been done before? I don't ever recall any scandals involving impersonators, but I could have missed it.

I bet you the real giveaway that it wasn't Biden is that he didn't stutter or make up gibberish when talking.

I only say that because I don't really follow politics, but the couple of times I've watched Biden give a speech he had a lot of trouble trying to speak. A lot of stumbling over his own words, mumbling or even making words up.....it's kind of sad, actually.

I bet you the real giveaway that it wasn't Biden is that he didn't stutter or make up gibberish when talking.

I only say that because I don't really follow politics, but the couple of times I've watched Biden give a speech he had a lot of trouble trying to speak. A lot of stumbling over his own words, mumbling or even making words up.....it's kind of sad, actually.
Yeah. I was kinda thinking that they would endorse someone younger and healthier. I agree that he seems a little feeble (okay maybe a lot) in the few appearances he makes. Honestly, IMO, political office should be age-capped at 65-67. Just retire like everybody else does at that age.

Do you have any sources showing this has been done before? I don't ever recall any scandals involving impersonators, but I could have missed it.
I'm not saying there's been anything widespread. I'm just saying that the means exists to fake stuff like this already if you want. You don't even need to be a professional impersonator (if you lower the quality of the audio).

Fake ads with a photoshopped image. Doctored audio. Fake news articles. Or anything that would be convincing. I would assume moderators catch most of those though.
The thing unique about calls is that there is nothing to properly moderate them (as much as there should be). Robocalls have been used at least once on a small scale that I could find. So I'm surprised it's taken this long to even try to do something more widespread. Maybe it's effectiveness is still too low for the effort...

Yeah. I was kinda thinking that they would endorse someone younger and healthier. I agree that he seems a little feeble (okay maybe a lot) in the few appearances he makes. Honestly, IMO, political office should be age-capped at 65-67. Just retire like everybody else does at that age.

EXACTLY! 1/2 of the U.S. senate, is over the age of 65. 46% democrat, 54% republican. In the house, 32% is over the age of 65. 40% democrat, 32% republican.

Unfortunately, since "they" are the ones that pass bills that become law, it would probably take an Article 5 convention of the states to mandate they retire at age 65, or as close to it, as their term expires.

Oh, that data was in 2021.

EXACTLY! 1/2 of the U.S. senate, is over the age of 65. 46% democrat, 54% republican. In the house, 32% is over the age of 65. 40% democrat, 32% republican.

Unfortunately, since "they" are the ones that pass bills that become law, it would probably take an Article 5 convention of the states to mandate they retire at age 65, or as close to it, as their term expires.

Oh, that data was in 2021.
Well, as long as we are going to hold a Constitutional convention, we might as well throw in term limits and salary caps in with the retirement thing. Make salaries a percentage of the GDP or something similar (CPI, maybe?) so they have an incentive to actually do political work rather than the BS they get up to now. And limit terms to two, just like the presidency, although I would settle with three if I had to. No more life runs on office and dying literally on Capital Hill of old age like Robert Byrd (92), John McCain (81), and Dianne Feinstein (90), just to name a few recent ones. The longer they're in the more corrupt they get. Plus, political office was never intended to be a career. It was supposed to be a service.

It's not the first time Republican operatives abused the phone network in New Hampshire in an attempt to disrupt Democratic primaries.
Then there was former Republican candidate Ron DeSantis spreading Trump deepfakes to try to sway voters.
Or what about that time when right wingers doctored a video supposedly showing Biden making anti-trans remarks?

The Republican base does things like this all the time. And because that is their nature, they'll readily believe all the made up nonsense about Democratic election interference.

Last edited:
The only people threatened by this is boomers
It's not the first time Republican operatives abused the phone network in New Hampshire in an attempt to disrupt Democratic primaries.
Then there was former Republican candidate Ron DeSantis spreading Trump deepfakes to try to sway voters.
Or what about that time when right wingers doctored a video supposedly showing Biden making anti-trans remarks?

The Republican base does things like this all the time. And because that is their nature, they'll readily believe all the made up nonsense about Democratic election interference.
Wrong.

Back