Android This is what happens if you drop your Galaxy S7 Edge on the edge

Scorpus

Staff member

Should you get a case for your Galaxy S7 Edge? Well if you think you'll drop it on the edge, it's probably worth getting some protection for your $700 smartphone, as it's remarkably easy to shatter the curved glass. I've certainly learned my lesson, and if you take a look at the video above, this isn't just your normal broken screen.

This isn't going to be a cheap or straightforward repair process.

Permalink to story.

yRaz

Aww, sorry to see you broke your phome, it's always a shame to see broken smartphones. I love the curve, but I was always concerned about its durability. Best of luck getting it fixed or replaced.

Cycloid Torus

Thanks for the warning - being a clumsy klutz, I had better look for something 'incredibly' durable - does anyone make a smartphone embedded in acrylic?

DaveBG

That is why I liked the previous design with the plastic panels... this shatters and weights more. Lame but the iCrowd stupid complains made this

This actually happened to me, too. I dropped my phone in between my seat in my car, and it cracked, THAT easy. I was really disappointed.

Burty117

I love the fact articles about iPhone screens are full of comments along the lines of:

"Stupid iPhones, so weak, so worthless"

But if it's a similar article that's not about an iPhone it's full of puns and:

"Aww sorry to see you broke your phone"

Harsh world :p

Same as my S6 Edge + broke in my pocket on day 2, replaced at £75 cost to me and second dropped within a week. Not replaced but not happy. Never buying another edge phone.

p51d007

Well...these phone manufacturers think that covering the entire screen with glass, and, some along with the back. And people, for whatever reason, carry these things 24/7 in their hands, and buy into the "scratch proof/shatter proof" idea of gorilla glass. Glass, if hit on the EDGE will usually shatter.
That's why I opt for the mid range phones, in the 300-400 dollar range instead of the 700 and up range
of these flagships, which of course will be replaced by next years overpriced "flagship".
If I invested 700 or more for a stinking phone, you could be I'd have it wrapped in something!

9Nails

I was this close || to running to the store to get this phone tonight. But I think now I'll hold off and see if others have had a similar issue and that maybe there's a design flaw here.

Scorpus

Staff member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I was this close || to running to the store to get this phone tonight. But I think now I'll hold off and see if others have had a similar issue and that maybe there's a design flaw here.
Our news editor Rob also smashed the edge of his S7 Edge as it turns out. I've heard a few other reports on Twitter as well

Reactions: fktech

Mister_K

Its a shame that putting a case on this phone completely eliminates the only reason you bought THIS phone in the first place....
Not really. I got this case here (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Galaxy-VRS-Design-Shield-Silver/dp/B01BCZBOBU) and while it's not the best protection ever, it certainly helps and does not detract from the ergonomics of the phone.

Also I dropped it from .5m to 1m height landing on a concrete floor and its fine. Sure its all angle of attack but only small portion of metal chipped (not noticeable and hidden by the case).

What I am MORE concerned about is how the actual glass is not very scratch resistant and also a finger print magnet (smaller issue but still an issue).

Still S7 E > iPhone ANY DAY

R

Raoul Duke

So many of these phones are quite beautiful looking devices it's a shame to have to cover them with fugly cases

SirGCal

I can't stand not having a case on my phone. If for no other reason then they are just too small to hold onto otherwise. But I also drop my phone all the time and my Otterbox Defender has done a phenomenal job to date of protecting my investments.

T

teddy

At first, you are stupid if you don't use protection on your phone. Second, they aren't Nokia 3310!. Third, if you are clumsy then simply don't buy high-end flagships.

T

teddy

So many of these phones are quite beautiful looking devices it's a shame to have to cover them with fugly cases
I use tpu s-curve silicone case, in clear color so you see the phone. look it up :) I have been using that brand and model on my last 7 phones :)

Leeky

Glass... Broken... Concrete wins again.. Shocker..
Not when it's in one of these...

Otterbox Defender. I swear by them. Work recently replaced our iPhone 5S' with iPhone 6 models and mine had worn this case since arriving new. I dropped it concrete multiple times, slammed it in my car door (fell out of pocket as I closed it), threw it at a wall (slipped on something and threw my arm up launching it full pelt into a brick wall) and it didn't have a single mark on it after heavy daily use for over a year.

When my personal mobile came up for renewal last month, I made sure my next phone had an Otterbox Defender case. Sure it makes it bulky, but it definitely protects it. So much so that I literally throw it on the floor when someone doubts it'll protect the phone. The look is usually priceless.

I guess my longwinded point here is.... get a proper case for it and it won't happen again. It sucks dropping any modern phone. It's exactly why I went for another Defender case for my new Note 4. At least that's one less thing to worry about!