This my Second Build But need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

xquizyt

Just need some help with my second build. I built the first one I had with someone. Now I'm winging it alone.

I'm not a gamer or anything but just want a nice fast system.

Asus P5B Intel Socket 775 ATX Motherboard / Audio / PCI Express / Gigabit LAN / S/PDIF / USB 2.0 / Serial ATA / RAID

Apevia Black/Black X-Plorer ATX Mid-Tower Case with Clear Side, Fan Controller, Front USB and Firewire Port

Intel Pentium D 820 2.80GHz / 2MB Cache / 800MHz FSB / Socket 775 / Dual-Core / Processor with Fan

EVGA GeForce 7100 GS TurboCache / 256MB GDDR2 / Supporting 512MB with TurboCache / SLI / PCI Express / DVI / VGA / TV Out / Video Card

Western Digital / Caviar SE16 / 500GB / 7200 / 16MB / SATA-300 / OEM / Hard Drive

Xion / 600-Watt Ver. 2.0/ ATX / 140mm / SATA-Ready / SLI-Ready / 20/24-Pin / Power Supply

I already have the DDR2 1GB or Ram

also does anyone have any suggestions for a LCD TV?

hi there xquizyt,

overall it looks nice, I just have a few suggestions:

1. go with a Core-2-Duo processor. they are much more powerful than Pentium-D's (the E6300 is about $80 more expensive, but will eat that Pentium-D 820 for lunch ;))

2. don't use a video card with turbo-cache, it steals system RAM to make up for it's lack of onboard memory.

3. the system you're about to build will not require anywhere near 600 watts. to make up for the cost of the faster processor, you can save some money buy getting a lower wattage PSU (a 350w-450w PSU by a reputable manufacturer should be fine for that system, just make sure it has a strong +12V rail). Fortron makes a few good quality high-power models for $29-$35

cheers :wave:

I think a video card is unnecessary if you're not a gamer, you'd save a bit of money by just getting a good onboard chipset - The GeForce6100 or 6150 chipsets are alright.

If you want to stick with intel, i'd also say move up to the E6300, the C2Ds are much more cost efficient than Pentium D's.

If hard drive speed is important, perhaps consider a RAID0 config?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back