This real-life jetpack is straight out of Iron Man

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In brief: Few things are more exhilarating - or terrifying - than strapping jets to your back and challenging gravity to a one-on-one game of winner takes all. LOFT is an upcoming documentary that chronicles the Jetman's journey of pursuing the dream of autonomous human flight.

Personal flight is a dream shared by virtually everyone at some point during their childhood but for Swiss military-trained pilot and aviation enthusiast Yves Rossy, it became an obsession. After more than 20 years of innovation, Rossy’s vision has become a reality that’ll soon be portrayed in a feature-length documentary titled, “LOFT: The Jetman Story.”

A 4K teaser for the film recently hit YouTube, previewing the Jetman’s incredible journey to defy gravity and fly among the heavens. His jet-propelled flight suit, kind of like a squirrel suit but with fixed wings and engines, looks like it is straight out of Iron Man.

The clip highlights what is being called the world’s first ground takeoff and the dangers that pilots Yves Rossy, Vince Reffet and Fred Fugen face. What really touched my core, however, was this simple quote: “You’re not just playing something, you are the thing.”

Be sure to watch this one in full 4K with a decent sound system as the audio is just as incredible as the visuals.

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

Permalink to story.

Stuff like this already has existed. Main problem has always been overall weight and fuel / flight time. No mention of those two things here for a reason...

Even without the ability to use this device for landing, it is beyond amazing. This is humans flying. The dream of the centuries. The dream of scientists, and witches possibly. I cant wait to see someone come up with the mechanism to take off the ground and land in addition to this jetpack.

This is old, old, old news .... heck, these two have already been on 60 minutes (the real one, not the fake one) ..... I'm surprised a certain president hasen't proposed this as our newest fighter with the pilot carrying a 500 lb. bomb under each arm!

I'm surprised a certain president hasen't proposed this as our newest fighter with the pilot carrying a 500 lb. bomb under each arm!

"These bombs will be, like, totally yuuuge! Like no one has ever seen! People tell me that I invented flight, I've done more for making yumans fly than any President before me!"

Back