Threads appears to be winning the Twitter succession war

Daniel Sims

Staff
The big picture: Concerns about Twitter / X's future since Elon Musk's takeover have sparked a competition over who can build a better microblogging service. Although X hasn't died, analysis shows that by at least one metric, Meta's alternative Threads is gaining on it.

Data from Appfigures shows Meta's Threads app has significantly more daily downloads than X over the past several weeks. Although app downloads don't paint the complete picture, the gap could be widening.

Since Elon Musk purchased Twitter for $44 billion and began making significant changes, multiple scares have left observers wondering when (or if) the social media giant might collapse. Competitors like Threads, Bluesky, and Mastodon are racing to attract Twitter émigrés, and Appfigures shows that Threads might be in the lead.

Click to enlarge

Upon its July 2023 launch, Threads picked up over 100 million users in under a week, and the data shows a corresponding spike with millions of app downloads. Most came from the Google Play Store, while the Apple App Store saw about 600,000. Although enthusiasm for Meta's service rapidly cooled, with user engagement falling by 70 percent by the end of the month, daily downloads remained solidly above X, which began to dip slightly around the same time.

However, downloads of Threads started picking up again last December and have remained up there since, while X has seen a far more modest acceleration. Installs of Threads have easily doubled and sometimes tripled those of X over the last three months.

Click to enlarge

Although figures for Mastodon and Bluesky are comparatively minimal, both platforms are decentralized, so Appfigures can't accurately track them. But those two alongside X on the App Store, received a modest spike in early February when Bluesky became available to everyone.

Daily downloads only indicate a platform's growth rate, and understandably, a mature platform like X would gain users more slowly than Threads since millions already have it on their devices. However, recent financial statements from both companies suggest Threads has passed a quarter of X's active user numbers in less than a year.

Meanwhile, analysis from last fall showed X's numbers down across the board after one year of Musk's leadership. At the beginning of 2024, Fidelity, a major X investor, valued the company at 70% less than what Musk paid in 2022.

Moreover, bots have become a worsening issue, making it difficult to tell how many active users are authentic. Both Threads and X have intensified their anti-spam efforts, yet many users have noted that bots seem more prevalent than ever on X.

Permalink to story.

Daily downloads only indicate a platform's growth rate, and understandably, a mature platform like X would gain users more slowly than Threads since millions already have it on their devices.
At least you were honest about this somewhere.

Kinda pointless a speculation without actual install numbers and whatnot.

Twitter was and will always be for famous and wannabe famous people. No normal person uses (or used) Twitter in any profound way.

Twitter was only ever popular to companies and governments and for famous people watching.

Threads will have the same or similar rules as FB. I could forgive anything but not that.
A nation can't be free without free speech, even if it is prevented "for safety reasons."
I haven't been on threads once. But I have a guess that at the beginning they might allow
a bit more at first to attract more people, and to show it is better than X. Then they can start treating threads users just like Facebookers.
But again, I am certain it is bad due to being owned by the same people who own FB.

I never was a fan of Twitter and seems like Musk wasn't either because he don't give a c#ap about himself stirring it to the edge of a cliff...

"Meanwhile, analysis from last fall showed X's numbers down across the board after one year of Musk's leadership. At the beginning of 2024, Fidelity, a major X investor, valued the company at 70% less than what Musk paid in 2022."

It was worth less than than %70 of what he paid when he bought it xD

I have never gone on Twitter / X and never will. I do hate the name X. Think its stupid and Elon should kept it Twitter.

These numbers are relatively meaningless. Just downloading the app doesn't guarantee they create an account, post regularly, or even visit the app/site to engage with it in any way.

Show us traffic/engagement numbers comparing the two or don't bother writing the article.

Last edited:
"Meanwhile, analysis from last fall showed X's numbers down across the board after one year of Musk's leadership. At the beginning of 2024, Fidelity, a major X investor, valued the company at 70% less than what Musk paid in 2022."

It was worth less than than %70 of what he paid when he bought it xD
No. Not fair. We all know he overpaid. Of course it is worth less. It always was.
And I think he would do much better if he built a new platform.
The only downside would be that it would take years to build the base.
I guess that is something that was unacceptable for him.

Back