Three classic Grand Theft Auto games are being remastered for PC and consoles

Shawn Knight

Staff member
What just happened? Rockstar Games in honor of the upcoming 20th anniversary of Grand Theft Auto III has announced Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy – The Definitive Edition. The three-pack of games will include modernized versions of Grand Theft Auto III, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City and Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. Rockstar said the games will feature graphical improvements and modern gameplay enhancements, while maintaining the classic look and feel of the originals.

Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy – The Definitive Edition will be available on PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One, Xbox Series, Nintendo Switch and the Rockstar Games launcher on PC. Additional details will be revealed in the coming weeks, we’re told.

The trilogy is also coming to Android and iOS, but that won’t happen until sometime in the first half of 2022, we’re told.

The genre-defining Grand Theft Auto III arrived on October 22, 2001, and forever changed our perception of what an open-world game could be. With the 20th anniversary just two weeks away, we’ll likely get details about pricing and an exact launch date sooner rather than later.

Rockstar additionally said it would be removing existing versions of these classic titles from digital retailers starting next week. It’s unclear how this will impact those who already own the games – for example, will they get complementary upgrades to the newer versions?

Rumors of the trilogy date back to this past summer, and included references to a version for Google Stadia, but that wasn't mentioned in today's announcement. Sources at the time claimed Rockstar is also interested in developing modern ports of games like Red Dead Redemption.

Permalink to story.

You know I am all for remastering the visuals I don't mind.

But for these games the *first* thing they need to invest money is on purchasing back ALL of the soundtrack rights because these games have been patched in the past to *remove* some songs they lost the rights to and to me well, those songs kind of made the game in a big way it's the first series where I went out of my way to drive without direction just to listen to the radio and that experience needs to be brought back (Not that I am under any delusion that they will do any of this mind you)

If the visuals are good, and they upgrade the controls to not be crap, I may buy it. I only played San Andreas, but it was pretty awesome back in the day, with an amazing story. It was my first GTA game.

One of two or three reason I bought a PS2 back in the day, to play GTA, GranTurismo and maybe because DVD player?

Rockstar sent cease & desist notices to a number of modders whose mods had not only helped keep the GTA community alive but who weren't doing anything unlawful. As much as I've enjoyed the GTA series over the years between that and Rockstars nefarious reputation in regards to the shitty treatment of its employees I won't be supporting this new release.

It's a shame that Hollywood/AAA devs are now focusing only on remasters/reboots as if they can't do anything original anymore...

It's a shame that Hollywood/AAA devs are now focusing only on remasters/reboots as if they can't do anything original anymore...
Demand is at an all time high right now. Games from scratch take years. These are simply filler to keep demanding little t*ts like yourself from whinging on. Yet still you do. Learn reality and the real World and how things work. Stuff takes time, but your kind expects it instantly - then when its rushed and not perfect you moan again. Learn to wait.

Agreed, not enough new stuff comes through anymore.
Demand is at an all time high right now. Games from scratch take years. These are simply filler to keep demanding little t*ts like yourself from whinging on. Yet still you do. Learn reality and the real World and how things work. Stuff takes time, but your kind expects it instantly - then when its rushed and not perfect you moan again. Learn to wait.
What are you on about? It's been soo long since we got a new GTA it's actually become a meme.
I don't dispute the fact it takes a long time to develop games but come on, we got what, three? Four GTA's in the time frame since GTA5 released?

It makes you wonder how many games got thought up, developed and released since 2013.

Back