Time Warner says next Batman Arkham game coming this year

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Time Warner CFO and chief administrative officer John K. Martin recently revealed during an investors call that the company is planning a strong games release this coming year which will include a new game under the Batman: Arkham franchise. Not much else was revealed during the chat but it certainly gives Batman fans something to look forward to in the coming months.

The fact that a new game in the franchise is on the way isn’t a real shocker at this point. Last month it was revealed that Warner Bros. registered some 15 new Arkham-related domain names. The company used MarkMonitor to register the domains, a brand protection firm that they have worked with in the past.

time warner batman arkham game batman arkham

The list of registered domains include arkhamuniverse.com, dcarkhamverse.com, batmanarkhambegins.com and batmanarkhamstories.com. It’s likely that most of these were picked to throw off any guesses about the true title of the upcoming game but at least one of the URLs could give some credit to a rumor from last year pointing to a Batman prequel.

VG247 said their own sources were able to confirm that Rocksteady Studios, the company behind Arkham City and Arkham Asylum, is not making this new game. Furthermore, it is widely known that Paul Dini, the writer for Arkham City, won’t be returning for a follow-up job.

Based on Martin’s wording, the title could come this year or sometime in 2014 as part of the company’s next financial year.

Permalink to story.

The Arkham City series has really raised the bar as far as superhero games go. I typically thought of them as cheap games that sell because of the associated superhero or movie release. Both Arkham city and Arkham asylum were top notch in my book though and are better than many of the AAA titles out there. Can't wait for a new one. Hopefully they don't screw it up.
Btw does anyone know why they would drop the writer or associated company for this new one? It seems like with the success of the first two everyone would be all in for a new one.

The Arkham City series has really raised the bar as far as superhero games go. I typically thought of them as cheap games that sell because of the associated superhero or movie release. Both Arkham city and Arkham asylum were top notch in my book though and are better than many of the AAA titles out there. Can't wait for a new one. Hopefully they don't screw it up.
Btw does anyone know why they would drop the writer or associated company for this new one? It seems like with the success of the first two everyone would be all in for a new one.

My guess will be that with the success of the previous title, they'll try someone new (cheaper?) and milk as much money as possible from the startup success.

My guess will be that with the success of the previous title, they'll try someone new (cheaper?) and milk as much money as possible from the startup success.
Unlikely. The VG24/7 Page clearly states that they hypothesise that this game will be a prequel. If that is the case it still means that Rocksteady could still be working on their sequel that they so heavily hinted at in Arkham City, of which will probably be ready in a year or two.

Go sequel; not holding my breath for the prequel...

I'm sure it'll be as good if not better than both AA & AC. Looking forward to playing it as long as it's released on PC as well.

Back