To Per Hansson, if others can help welcome...

rajasharma

Article.Dual Boot Windows 7 with XP/Vista in three easy steps.

your comment:There is also the possibility to resize the disk inside the Win7 installation, on the second screen press **** + F10
This brings up the command prompt, in it you have access to microsofts command link "diskpart" tool, maybe not the most user friendly but it gets the job done...

Dear sir,can you please guide me through that commands??

I have xp installed in drive C (74.52 G) and i dont have any other partitions
i want the commands for resizing the C.
And i m supposed to format the unallocated space through disk management??rite?

to kitty,Excuse me, its not necessary to post THREE identical posts asking for help; have some patience

It is MUCH easier to repartition using windows in a GUI, since you don't exactly know what you're doing, I think it would be better.
Please also post a meaningful title so people will actually look at your thread.

thank you for your time but understand i m trying to find answer since 8 hours or so.and have not slept whole night in my country its nite.
and sorry if i have offended you or others.

May I point out this site is run entirely by unpaid volunteers. It is unrealistic to expect the sort of help you might get from, say, the manufacturer of your PC during the warranty period ! Patience is necessary, and the truth is, if your query title is not directly understandable, it may not get attention very easily. Apparently, you do appreciate that time differences around the world might make a difference also !

To your question - HelloKitty recommends you to use an application you can run in Windows with which to view your OS partition, and resize it.

Let me recommend these steps...

First for safety in case anything goes wrong, ensure you have a complete backup of your existing C: drive. The best form is a drive image. http://www.thefreecountry.com/utilities/backupandimage.shtml#imaging lists various possibilities, from which I will not recommend one, as I do not use any of them - I use acronis (paid for).

Failing a full image, at least back up your data. If you only do that and things go wrong, you will have to reinstall XP, but at least you will not lose your data. (This is very unlikely, but since you never did it before....)

Now download Easeus partition manager http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm Note there is also a drive image solution on there, but again I have no experience.

Having installed Easeus, you can view your drive and resize it. PC will need to reboot and do the job during restart - you cannot resize a partition in use at the time !

Finally, when that is finished, you can restart Easeus and create and format a second partition. Depending upon what you want to do with the second partition, create it as primary (for another OS) or expanded for a data partition. One Expanded allows a large number of visible partitions within it (drives within one expanded partition), but only 4 primary partitions can be on one physical drive, which is why expanded is sometimes best.

You may be surprised to find you actually already have two partitions - the first might be a hidden 'reinstall' partition if you have a PC from certain major manufacturers. You probably want to leave that alone, if present.

Finally, yes, a full Win7 install DVD does offer a very crude and simplified way of resizing the existing XP drive before adding a second partition for the Win7 install. Diskpart does that, never seen it, but it should be fairly obvious.

1st thank you Mr.gbhall for your time and comments!!

I think u still didnt get my question!!
In the article there is already a third party partition manager is mentioned which i dont want to use or any other third party partition manager!
why?
because i read reviews they may sometimes can creates errors and may not boot up drives!!

and for backup i already have gone through that process.I appreciate ur insights in that matter.

what i exactly want is Cmd diskpart commands to shrink my C drive.

Your siincere reply is expected!!

Well, never used that. In XP, open a command (dos) window and type diskpart, when it starts, type help. You see the commands, In XP it does not offer resize, so you are stuck there unless you have the Win7 full retail install DVD. Can't help any further, since I dont have that. The command you want is SHRINK

I would say you are as safe using a good third-party partition manager as you are using Diskpart, but that's just my opinion. Please reread my post, which I have expanded.

Plenty of diskpart help on the web, Or anyone else able to give the commands in the diskpart version on Win7 install DVD ???

Thanks Mr.gbhall I appreciate your Insightful thoughts and valuable time.

Yes,I do know that windows xp doesnt offer resize.

and do have full win7 dvd.are you trying say that win7 dvd has options to resize my drive Without diskpart??
if yes please explain.

In the article there is already a third party partition manager is mentioned which i dont want to use or any other third party partition manager!
why?
because i read reviews they may sometimes can creates errors and may not boot up drives!!

I am unsure how you can apply this i a generalize manner, I've not used windows own disk manager (not that it is bad, just a matter of features+useability) for years now, mostly using ESUS or Partition Wizard, and they've served me flawlessly ...... you can resize / recreate or whatever you want to do without having to bother about much. Anyway ..... it is your personal choice.

Guys here an Update i treid my local computers shop to check whether they know or not about that..

The answer was use some partition manager nobody knew the commands in the diskpart.
so lets look for some days..

Hopefully i will find commands...
if somebody reading this and can get in touch with Sir per hansson please direct him to this thread!! i cant because i have to post 30 threads.:(

Thanks For reading the thread!!

I've not used windows own disk manager (not that it is bad, just a matter of features+useability) for years now, mostly using ESUS or Partition Wizard, and they've served me flawlessly
@rajasharma

I agree with Archean 1000%! :grinthumb

I too have been using EASUS Partition Manager for many, many years without ever a problem
> PLUS, I think the EASUS tool is much easier to use and its User Interface is much "friendlier" then DiskPart

You should try it.

P.S. As is true for ALL Partitition Managers, I will give you the same standard warning they do: Before removing or resizing a partition you should first backup all your data on that partition
> That said, it's still good to be cautious and backup your data first (tho i've never had any problem to date)
> That Warning ALSO applies is Windows DiskPart!!

Thank you "archean" and "lookinaround" for your comments!!

I will also agree with you on that after some days i seriously want to partition my drive using diskpart.

and thanks for ur concerns and warnings on data.

and again i wud like to remindeverybody if anyone can contact per hansson through private msg or anyother way please direct him to this thread.

It is unrealistic to expect the sort of help you might get from, say, the manufacturer of your PC during the warranty period !
Thats not true, techspot is much much more useful, just no RMA's.

and again i wud like to remindeverybody if anyone can contact per hansson through private msg or anyother way please direct him to this thread.
His answer will be similar.

Maybe you don't realize but resizing from command prompt and resizing from a GUI does exactly the same thing, you're just less likely to ruin your computer buy using a GUI.

<snip>
Now download Easeus partition manager http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm
<snip>
1) Hi @gbhall :wave:
My apologies! I just realized I completely overlooked your earlier post. Just wanted to add I support your EASUS endorsement 1000% too! :D :grinthumb

Thats not true, techspot is much much more useful, just no RMA's.
2) @HK
LOL. :haha: How true!

3) And finally, @rajasharma
It's the resounding opinion of everyone here that using a tool like EASUS Partition Manager is your simplest, easiest and best solution to resizing the partitions on your hard drive.

Trying to figure out how to do it with DiskPart is like insisting you want instructions on how to use a slide rule instead of using a calculator

/* edit */
P.S. And sounds like we ALL have experience with and use EASUS ourselves for many years... so i think you can be confident when we say, it works :)

Does this mean that Per will be able to change his title to, "Knight of the Realm"? There'll be just no living with him, I tell you....:rolleyes: :haha:"

Trying to figure out how to do it with DiskPart is like insisting you want instructions on how to use a slide rule instead of using a calculator

I think its more like a situation where one is given the choice of spending your evening with Cameron Diaz or Donald Rumsfeld ....... and you insist on choosing the later ;)

I think its more like a situation where one is given the choice of spending your evening with Cameron Diaz or Donald Rumsfeld ....... and you insist on choosing the later ;)
Ok, here I'd like to interject a door number three choice of Grace Park, if that would be possible.

The OP is proving so stubborn about wanting to use DiskPart, I am now convinced he really wants the answer to an examination question, not to actually DO IT.

lol guys thanks for comments i apprecaite humour!!

@hellokitty thanks for your views!!

@gbhall: naa sir nothing like that..thanks.

thanks captaincranky for comments!

@archean: well they edited my answer to hardwork versus easy work..
i wud prefer trump,coz i m forex guy..
u can spend endless evening with that money and wid tht girl.

@mailpup.if u can contact per hannson plz help me..

To create a partition

At a command prompt, type: Diskpart.exe
At the DISKPART prompt, type: LIST DISK (Lists disks found. Make note of the drive number you wish to manipulate.)
At the DISKPART prompt, type: Select Disk 1 (This selects the disk; make sure to type in the disk number from step 2.)
At the DISKPART prompt, type: CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY SIZE=10000
(Change the word PRIMARY to EXTENDED to create an extended partition.) (If you do not set a size (in MB), such as the above example for 10 GB, then all available space on the disk will be used for the partition.) (Seriously consider adding the following option to the end of the above command if you are using RAID (especially RAID 5) to improve disk I/O performance: ALIGN=64)
At the DISKPART prompt, type: ASSIGN LETTER=D (Choose a drive letter not already being used.)
At the DISKPART prompt, type: Exit
Use the Command Prompt format command, Disk Administrator or any disk format utility to format the drive (typically using NTFS, of course).
Extend a partition in Windows with Diskpart. When it comes to adding space to a partition or volume, this method is superior to configuring Dynamic Disks. Dynamic Disk extensions only concatenate the newly added space, menaing they merely add the disk space to the "end" of the original partition without restriping the data.

Concatenation isolates performance within each partition and does not offer fault tolerance when the partition is configured in a RAID array. Diskpart allows you to restripe your existing data. This is truly beneficial when the partition is set up in a RAID array, because the existing partition data is spread out across all the drives in the array, rather than just adding new space to the end (like Disk Administrator).

To extend a partition:

Verify that contiguous free space is available on the same drive and that free space is next to the partition you intend on extending (with no partitions in between).
At the DISKPART prompt, type: Select Disk 1 (Selects the disk.)
At the DISKPART prompt, type: Select Volume 1 (Selects the volume.)
At the DISKPART prompt, type: Extend Size=10000 (If you do not set a size, such as the above example for 10 GB, then all available space on the disk will be used.)

To delete a partition in Windows with Diskpart: (Note: You cannot delete an active system or boot partition or a partition with an active page file.)

At the DISKPART prompt, type: Select Disk 1
At the DISKPART prompt, type: Select Partition 1
At the DISKPART prompt, type: DELETE partition

To wiping (or zero) a disk:
This operation deletes all data on the disk

At the DISKPART prompt, type: Select Disk 1
At the DISKPART prompt, type: CLEAN ALL (The CLEAN ALL command removes all partition and volume information from the hard drive being focused on.)
Final note: Here are four important things to keep in mind regarding Diskpart.

Do not use DISKPART until you have fully backed up the hard disk you are manipulating
Do not use DISKPART on dynamic disks
Check with your disk vendor before using Diskpart

But still didn't get the commands for how to resize your drive:( can anybody help me with resize commands?surely somebody can understand this cmd language and can create commands from above for resize!!

WHO CAN?

Wow... Sounds like you're Hell bent on using Diskpart to resize those partitions aren't you? Once again, I will echo the consensus of most everyone here, and strongly suggest using EASEUS Partition Master, as someone with limited experience attempting to use Diskpart can fudge thinks up. EASEUS is, like its name implies, much EASier. Good luck.

But still didn't get the commands for how to resize your drive can anybody help me with resize commands?surely somebody can understand this cmd language and can create commands from above for resize!!
Since you obviously don't understand the commands, why don't you give up and use a GUI?
FYI you probably posted the commands for what you're trying to do.

Ok I give up ...... I guess it also means you may be gay as you're hell bent on going out with Rumsfeld :rolleyes:

The command to extend the partition is:

extend [size=<sizeinmegabytes>]

It will work if there is available empty space on the HDD in question.

Hmmm. still no help !!

@wendigo:you cant beat the feeling of using cmd it so divine..thanks for your comments

@hellokitty:thanks for suggestion..and i m not quitter.

@Archean:Well i understand your point of veiw and we are supposed to laugh at your comments rite??so hahaha
everybody else please laugh archean is trying to make us laugh.

and i want the commands for resize not to extend..looks u havent get the question yet please read the question..ur into stupidity mode or you are like that only??

ok i going to make it easier for you

But still didn't get the commands for how to resize your drive can anybody help me with resize commands?surely somebody can understand this cmd language and can create commands from above for resize!!

WHO CAN?

Well rajash, everyone who have commented so far in this thread knows who is in what mood, people here try to help others in their spare time, so I need not to indulge in any personal point scoring.

Anyway, extend, causes Diskpart to expand the volume/partition as much as possible, or constrain the extension with the size= parameter (you need free space on the target HDD for this command to work); you have your answer only if you rather actually try to do it; and tell us whether it works for you, or you need further assistance.

Back