Top 5 AMD B450 Motherboards

Julio Franco

Staff member

With the first AMD B450 motherboards just popping up, truth be told, there aren't that many good ones to choose from, certainly not nearly as many as we'd like and not as many as there could be. Asus and Gigabyte options are somewhat disappointing so far, Asrock has done a decent job, but it's MSI who really turned things around. We hope these picks will help narrow down your search for the perfect B450 motherboard.

Read the full article here.

I've tried your #1 pick (MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC) .....and unfortunately, it arrived DOA. I returned it for a refund. One significant things to point out about the MSI offerings is the MB power connector scheme. Of course there is the typical 24 pin connection, but there is also two additional connections.... a 4 pin, and an 8 pin. The issue here is that not many power supplies offer both of these connectors. It's annoying to have to hunt down a psu with both of these connections.... they are not standard.

"Price to performance the MSI B450 Tomahawk is hands down the best value all-rounder available at the moment."

I'd rather say that title goes to the MSI B450-A Pro. It features the exact specifications, apart from the sleeker look and the addition of RGB-light, and is a whopping $20-$30 cheaper. Granted, the Tomahawk really does have the better looks, the Pro is quite dull since it was designed for system builders and companies. But if you don't care about looks and lights, the best value is, in my opinion, the MSI B450-A Pro.

I've tried your #1 pick (MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC) .....and unfortunately, it arrived DOA. I returned it for a refund. One significant things to point out about the MSI offerings is the MB power connector scheme. Of course there is the typical 24 pin connection, but there is also two additional connections.... a 4 pin, and an 8 pin. The issue here is that not many power supplies offer both of these connectors. It's annoying to have to hunt down a psu with both of these connections.... they are not standard.

You dont need connect both connectors, It is just marketing related.

"It features the exact specifications, apart from the sleeker look and the addition of RGB-light, and is a whopping $20-$30 cheaper. Granted, the Tomahawk really does have the better looks, the Pro is quite dull since it was designed for system builders and companies. But if you don't care about looks and lights, the best value is, in my opinion, the MSI B450-A Pro.

Indeed its almost the same, but one PCIe x1 slot and the USB`s 3.1 & USB-C in the rear panel.

you don't need more than even 4 pins unless you OC. for half of the last year, I ran a 1700X doing distributed computing at 100% CPU 24/7 on just the 24+4 on an ancient PC Power & Cooling 370 watt

Actually Gigabyte B450M DS3H have better MOSFETs then Asrock B450M Pro4 and Asrock B450M-HDV. Asrock uses PK618BA & SM4336 MOSFETs while Gigabyte uses 4C06N MOSFETs.

the DS3H is still trash and runs an 8c16t really hot. again, my 1700X, no OC, at 100% distributed computing load ran at 87C on the VRMs on my AB350M-DS3H (identical 1x4C10N + 2x4C06N setup as the B450 and same wimpy heat sink). 67C when I "upgraded" to a B450M Mortar (slightly under Tomahawk VRM perf). I don't remember the exact numbers, but the DS3H's temps were fine on a 2400G, however.

Last edited:
The ASRock B450 Pro4 is a great motherboard, and I especially like having the two M.2 slots. But I was disappointed to find out that I couldn't use the XMP profile for my memory. As this link from their website shows, overclocking is very limited on this board. https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B450M Pro4/#Specification
I happen to have a Raven Ridge processor, which limits me to a speed of 2667 MHz. Since I had bought four sticks of 3000, I wasn't happy. I'd replace it if I could find another mATX board with two M.2 slots.

Back