Toshiba applies for BDA membership

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Toshiba announced today that it has applied for membership of the Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA). The company was a principal supporter of the now defunct HD DVD disc format. It abandoned the format in February of 2008, and announced that it would cease all development and manufacturing of HD DVD players and drives. The HD DVD Promotion Group dissolved shortly thereafter and Blu-ray was crowned as the dominant format for HD video discs.

Toshiba plans to launch Blu-ray-capable products including BD players and laptops with support for the once-rival disc format later this year. The details, timing and regional launches of future products are under consideration and announcements will come in due course.

As awesome as Blu-ray may be, it's still a pricey endeavor for media junkies, so the more competition the merrier.

Permalink to story.

its a shame, HD-DVD from what i remember was cheaper than Blu-Ray, plus my mate got the HD-DVD add-on for his XBox to buy 3 HD-DVD's then it lost all support, Shame.

It is a shame. HD-DVD had one format that came with all features. Blu-Ray has different levels of support, confusing for the average shopper. But this news is inevitable. I'm just surprised that Toshiba isn't doing more with streaming media to off-set gains in Blu-Ray.

I've got a HD-DVD player so I too am disappointed it lost, but you can find the few hd-dvd's that were made for pretty cheap online. I bought Serenity and a NIN DVD for less than $20 shipped.

I'm surprised that it took Toshiba this long to get on BluRay after they conceited.

I can't wait to read an article that includes Toshiba and Bluray that doesn't bring up the fact that HDDVD failed. We get it, you don't need to mention it in every article.

The point that I'm unclear about is, since Toshiba is already in business with Samsung, and Samsung always supported Blu-Ray, isn't the money all mixed together already? Is there an actual need for them to "declare themselves", as it were.

TSST Corporation, is "Toshiba Samsung Storage Technologies", which you can take to mean that they already build drives together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back