Toshiba satellite cpu

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a toshiba satellite 2545xcdt w/amd k6-2 333mhz, with 66fsb. was wondering what is the fastest cpu that i can replace it with?

Well you need a laptop version of the CPU which is harder to find then a normal one. On top of that, K6-2 CPUs in general have become something of a rarity. & finally when you take into account the fact that laptop CPUs aren't meant to be swapped with newer ones, you'll notice you have a lot going against you.;)

If you insist on looking for one anyways, I guess you could pretty much take any K6-2 all the way to 500mhz & adjust it to a 66mhz FSB. The Socket CPUs before the Slot 1/A era did not have locked multipliers so you could play around with it & the FSB, provided the laptop's BIOS / Mainboard lets you do so.

Just bring the new chip down to the same speed as the old one & gradually raise the speed while keeping an eye on the temps. If your laptop was designed with a certain CPU speed in mind, it might not react very well with a faster, hotter chip.

I still think it might be a better idea to start saving for a newer laptop though.

PS. Welcome to TechSpot. Hope you enjoy your stay.:wave:

Because of the processor and head disipation in that model, I doubt what you want to do can be accomplished.

Didou said:
Well you need a laptop version of the CPU which is harder to find then a normal one. ....
Nice post Didou :wave: Thorough and well said.

Some older laptop's have the CPU permanently mounted on the motherboard, so upgrading the CPU means getting another motherboard. Something that is cost prohibitive... Especially for a Toshiba

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back