Toshiba Satellite E205 touchpad issues

I have a Toshiba Satellite E205, Win 7. A small icon with a picture of the touchpad keeps appearing in the middle of my screen, quickly followed by a similar one, but with a red circle. The mouse or touchpad then freezes briefly. By looking in Task Manager, Processes, I see that this is accompanied by the appearance of touchpadED.exe, which then disappears from processes. I think it started when I unplugged a USB hub with mouse and keyboard from my computer while it was still on. I removed and reinstalled the Synaptics Touchpad driver from Toshiba, ran virus scan and malware software, and cannot stop the process in Task Manager. How can I get rid of this problem??

I did that before, but did it again. No change. What does this file do? What would happen if I tried disabling it?
It may disable the touchpad, but Windows may detect that a device is not working and may re-enable it.

Here is a screenshot. These icons just keep popping up, alternating; both touchpad and mouse get temporarily paralyzed by the one with the red circle that crosses out the grayed out symbol for the touchpad.

Here is a screenshot. These icons just keep popping up, alternating; both touchpad and mouse get temporarily paralyzed by the one with the red circle that crosses out the grayed out symbol for the touchpad.
You didnt post a screenshot buddy :(.

After I've turned on the computer, as soon as I start using the touchpad or mouse, these two icons pop up, alternating, usually in rapid succession. After the one with the red circle comes up, the mouse and touchpad are temporarily disabled; they function again after the icon with the touchpad flashes up. This started happening after I detached the mouse from the laptop while it was still on. I deleted and replaced the driver, ran malwarebytes and avast, to no effect. Then it occurred to me to look at Task Manager. I looked at "processes" and sure enough, when the icons came on, up popped touchpadED.exe in processes, disappearing when the icons disappeared. I right-clicked on it to try to do something with it, but nothing affected it. I found its location and also right-clicked to see what I could do. But not being a techie, I was reluctant to disable it, in case that somehow prevented booting or control of the computer. (I also looked for a Restore Point prior to this problem, but it turned out that I didn't have one. I ran various system diagnostics, etc., and they all thought the computer--including the touchpad--are functioning normally.

It does sound like it might be a driver issue. Which model you have is important as Toshiba lists a different Touchpad Driver for the S1980 model of the E205. If you've already tried the 1904 and it doesn't solve the problem, goto Toshiba.com TechSupport and download this driver: http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/...1980&selCategory=2756709&selFamily=1073768663 . Also select the right Bit type for your OS (Control Panel | System).

If its not a driver issue, it could also be a software issue. You find the touchpad under either the mouse and/or HID (Human Interface Device) in Device Manager.

You can adjust the settings through Control Panel. If there isn't a separate touchpad tab, it'll be under Mouse Properties. Its also where the check box for "Disable Touchpad When An External Mouse Is Plugged In" will be found.

Depending on your notebook's features, you may also be able to adjust a myriads of behaviors like sensitivity, double-click (tap) speed, sleep in corners, etc. will be found.

You can turn the touchpad "off" in either the software or Device Manager, but to do that there, "Disable" it Don't try to "Uninstall" it. If you uninstall it, it'll reinstall itself because it tells the machine its a system driver.You have to unlock it from the system folders to get rid of it through the uninstall routine, and its not worth the risk of messing up your system. It should be harmless sitting there disabled.

Let us know if either drivers and/or software took care of the problem, or changed it in some way (hopefully better).

One other thing to try to see if its a software related issue. Boot into Safe Mode (use F8 key), go to a command prompt, and type in "sfc /scannow" (without the quotation marks) and press Enter. Windows will attempt to repair its system files.

If that doesn't work, you may be looking at a repair bill to fix the touchpad device. Not sure what else to recommend to you. :(

One other thing to try to see if its a software related issue. Boot into Safe Mode (use F8 key), go to a command prompt, and type in "sfc /scannow" (without the quotation marks) and press Enter. Windows will attempt to repair its system files.

If that doesn't work, you may be looking at a repair bill to fix the touchpad device. Not sure what else to recommend to you. :(
Well the touchpad doesnt really have anything to do with the Windows core files, sfc /scannow is more for repairing core Windows files.
lpurdy Post a topic similar to this one on Toshiba forums, there are people there who are more familiar with this issue most likely.

I suggested the Windows core files as they're the same 'level' of file that a driver is; check one, check the other. Keeping those files fully "repaired" is not (?never?) a bad thing.

Posting at the Toshiba site also can't hurt and might yield better / more OP's laptop-specific solutions.

I suggested the Windows core files as they're the same 'level' of file that a driver is; check one, check the other. Keeping those files fully "repaired" is not (?never?) a bad thing.

Posting at the Toshiba site also can't hurt and might yield better / more OP's laptop-specific solutions.
Will try Toshiba forums. It took me quite awhile to figure out how to get into safe mode (by holding the F8 key down until it appeared), and scan revealed no problems.

Back