Toshiba screen goes black

Status
Not open for further replies.

coalfire

Recently if watching a film in full screen mode, when the film finishes the screen turns off (if connected to tv I get no signal input at this point) all it takes is to move the mouse to get the screen back on but could this be the start of something serious.

Also it has started to go black as though a screen saver or monitor saver is active (which they aren't) but you can still hear music or a game playing through the speakers.

I have the newest drivers already installed. The machine specs are under machine 2 in my profile.

Thanks for any help

Eventhough you state that no screensaver option is set it doesnt hurt to double check make customized

settings so that it doesnt hibernate either no power saving settings and hit apply this way you can be

sure this is not the problem. Btw it does not sound as though its serious as if an lcd montor will

go bad it will just go bad.

Hi Lamo it is Toshiba - Satellite A300-1MC

TheConqueror screen saver is set to none and the only power saver option I have set is to switch screen of when the lid is closed, but only on battery, no hibernation, sleep or anything

Try removing 2Gig of your installed 4Gig of Ram on XP and test again
If it then works ok, this is likely a Ram issue
You could try Memtest or just leave it as 2 Gig on XP (more than enough)

coalfire, did you do full recovery procedure with your laptop? i mean, if this happens with factory preinstalled OS, this may be hardware problem.

I have done a full recovery as about a week after I got it I got a repeating blue screen with "unmountable drive" or similar as the error and was told to run the recovery disk to see if that helped which it did. I then ran chdisk and memtest (for 8 hours) both came back fine.

The OS is vista not XP and only has 3GB (XP is on my desktop with 4GB)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back