Toshiba to release its Windows 7 tablet in H2 2011

Emil

Staff

Toshiba is planning to release a 11.6-inch tablet running Windows 7 Home Premium and powered by Intel's Atom Oak Trail processor in the second half of this year. The slate won't be out for so long since the company is putting a bit of "Toshiba flavor" on top of the OS to make it more touch-friendly, according to Toshiba's Marco Perino, quoted by Engadget.

The display will have a decent 1366 x 768 resolution, which is one of the largest we've seen so far for a tablet, but then again the screen is pretty big as well. The device will ship with 64GB of space and 2GB of RAM. The frame clearly shows an HDMI port and a webcam in the front. Notebook Italia shot a short video of the device enclosed in a glass cabinet:

Toshiba is not just sticking to Windows 7 for its tablet offerings. Much like other OEMs, the company is also experimenting with Google's Android 3.0 (codenamed Honeycomb) as well as Google's Chrome OS. The Nvidia Tegra 2 platform will be present on at least one of them.

Permalink to story.

There are too many tablets coming out. Each company is releasing too many variants to a degree where it is competing with itself. I don''t see how they will be profitable.

Guest said:
There are too many tablets coming out. Each company is releasing too many variants to a degree where it is competing with itself. I don''t see how they will be profitable.

@Guest: lolwat

Apple has many variants of many of their iPod and Iphone models. They make tons of profit. Not sure where your logic comes from on that comment.

@Toshiba: Lets hope these dont overheat and shut off every 10 minutes like every piece of crap laptop that I've bought from Toshiba does. >.<

Good... another Windows tablet. There aren't enough... I wonder what the price will be. I think i'll wait to see how this one is. I am considering the HP Slate but it is still a bit more than I want to spend.

I agree, we need more Windows tablets. I was looking at the MSI tablet, but i've heard nothing but complaints and negative reviews about it (shame, I have one of their netbooks and LOVE it). Tablets are a little out of my range, but if i'm going to spend money on one, I want one with Windows. Android is a good phone OS, but on any computing device like a computer and tablet, I want Windows (or maybe the option to dual boot Windows and Android).

Toshiba Satellite L500-128 & Windows 7 update?

Either site will be the same. The new driver will be free anyway. Since your are upgrading to Windows 7, all of the updates will come from Microsoft. And Toshiba will need to support the platform (your laptop) that you purchased. There is no difference in this case.

Back