Toshiba X305-Q706 DirectX 10 issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArmyofKirb

I am loving the my new Qosmio, but I am having serious issues whenever I try to start up any game in Directx10. Whether its Far Cry 2, Assassin's Creed, or Crysis, its unplayable in Directx10. Video and audio are extremely choppy, and the games only run in windowed mode.

At first I thought it was driver issues, but I've verified that Toshiba doesn't have any newer drivers for my video cards (2x 9800GTS 512mb SLI + 9400m). I found laptopvideo2go.com, and I tried using their custom forceware drivers. The modded drivers weren't any better. I have since reverted to the latest Toshiba drivers.

I ran dxdiag and it says that everything is ok, but obviously its not. I'm attaching the dxdiag log. Any suggestions as to what I should try next?

*running Vista Home Premium x86

Try doing a full system restore... You most likely have a hardware/software conflict in your laptop. Laptop/notebook computers come loaded with useless and sometimes harmful software, that may cause this type of problem

That was the conclusion I came to as well. I re-installed Vista x86 (Home Premium) and the latest drivers from Toshiba. I installed Far Cry 2 again, and the same problem occurred. It runs fine in directx 9.0c, but unplayable in directx 10. I've got a license for 64 bit vista too, so I am going to install it as a last ditch effort. If it doesn't work, I'm left the only possible recourse of sending the laptop in. Any other suggestions?

Because Directx10 is also responsible for the sound, could the sound drivers be the reason for my problems?

You can see the specs if you look at my System Specs. In addition, here's a link to the Toshiba website:

http://explore.toshiba.com/laptops/qosmio/X305/X305-Q706

My laptop didn't come with a Toshiba recovery disc, so I spoke with a tech support guy and he's sending me one. I am gratified to know that someone else is having the same problem. I was beginning to think I was doing something wrong. My next step will be to use the recovery disc to install x64 vista and see if the display drivers are different enough to resolve the issue.

BTW, I found it in speaking with the Toshiba tech that this issues hasn't been reported yet. Needless to say, Spending just under $2000 on a gaming laptop that is incapable of running games in directx 10 is infuriating. Other that the short post in this thread, no one else seems to be having my problem. I'm not a novice when it comes to computers, and I've done just about everything except tear it apart and check voltages and stuff. Toshiba, you better fix my F*cking issue!

ArmyofKirb,
did you just buy this laptop? Nice specs, but I'm afraid that Toshiba did not do their homework putting Vista x64 bit on this. You might be better off going to Nvidias support site directly, and downloading their Vista drivers, for your laptops video cards

That's just it. Nvidia doesn't directly release drivers for discrete graphics on laptops. The individual laptop manufacturer releases the drivers. I challenge you to find the drivers on Nvidia's website. Note, I started out of the box with x86 (32bit) vista. I meant that I will try x64 vista to see if it works with the 64 bit drivers.

It is your laptop not mine. Go to Nvidia's site and try the 9800 series drivers. The cards installed in your laptop are made by Nvidia not Toshiba

OK, there's no need for attitude. The Desktop drivers for the 9800 series are not intended for 9800m cards. They might work at least initially, but its not a fix. Things like fan speed, power usage, etc. are different between these. The folks over at http://www.laptopvideo2go.com do mod desktop drivers for use on laptop video cards, but these are not official drivers. And yes, I have tried these, and the same issue occurs. Trust me, if it was simple as installing new drivers for this, (1) I wouldn't have bothered posting a thread here, (2) It would have been already resolved.

I want to reiterate this: Nvidia does not directly support discrete laptop graphics cards. You will not find drivers for a GeForce 9800m GTS on their website. Hence the complete uselessness of advice telling me to get drivers for my GeForce 9800m GTS on their website.

You seem to be very knowledgeable about computers. You just bought this laptop. Hound HP until you are "blue in the face" or return the thing for something better for your needs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back