Toshiba's new Kirabook touts 13.3" 2560x1440 screen, premium design

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Toshiba has announced a new premium notebook family whose sole member may be the only high-end ultrabook to offer a 2560x1440 display. Named "Kirabook," the system is Toshiba's first to ship with an ultra-high resolution PixelPure screen, which is protected by Corning's Concore Glass, can be had in a standard version as well as one with 10-point multitouch support, and touts a healthy pixel density of 221 PPI -- just a notch below the MacBook Pro Retina's 227 PPI and the Chromebook Pixel's 239 PPI.

Toshiba's press release doesn't explicitly say whether the machine features an IPS panel, but it does go out of its way to mention the display's "broad range of true-to-life colors" as well as the ability for photo and video enthusiasts to get their hands dirty with the preinstalled copies of Adobe Photoshop and Premier Elements 11. To accompany its fancy color-accurate visuals, the Kirabook touts a respectable sound configuration courtesy of two stereo speakers by Harman Kardon and audio processing by DTS.

Information about internal specifications is still a bit sparse, but it doesn't seem like Toshiba is looking to cut any corners with this system. So far, there's word of an Ivy Bridge-based Intel Core i5 or i7 processor, 8GB of 1600MHz memory, a 256GB SSD and a high-capacity lithium-ion battery that lets you escape from power outlets for the day. Along with core hardware, the company spoke of its in-house AirFlow II multiphase fan technology which keeps the Kirabook's guts cool -- not the easiest task given its size.

toshiba kirabook laptop ultrabook

The machine is said to be the only ultrabook of its kind with an AZ91 pressed magnesium ally chassis -- a solution that Toshiba is 100% stronger than A6063 aluminum alloy, which we assume is commonly used in notebooks. Between the AZ91's extra strength, honeycomb reinforcements under key points, and a stabilizing hinge, the Kirabook is designed to feel durable and rigid despite measuring 0.7 inches thick and weighing only 2.6 pounds. Preorders will open May 3 with pricing from $1,600 to $2,000.

Permalink to story.

doesn't seem like Toshiba is looking to cut any corners with this system
It does to me...

1. It is not smart trying to bring in a high-end laptop on Ivy Bridge when Haswell products are already well on the way, just waiting for June's announcement. And since Haswell is touting huge energy savings, it is a big deal for an ultrabook.
2. If 8GB of RAM and 256GB SSD are at the top end, it will cool the interest. Apple is expected to have a 16GB RAM update for Macbook Air this summer (plus retina display), while they already have 512GB options on the current lineup.

And for that kind of money they are gambling... The higher resolution screen alone is just not enough.

Top notch specifications should only be the beginning. The MacBook Pro Retina (at least the 15" version) is awesome because of its build quality and actual usage scenarios where you take advantage of the screen resolution. In other words, Toshiba will have to make Windows and applications scale properly, a tough job if you are pushing for this change alone.

VitalyT Apple is not gonna bring the Retina to the Air just yet. That is a rumor. I dont think they will since it will take up too much battery life, and adding more battery space to an already tight chassis will be tough.

Julio Franco I agree. I think the only reason the MBP Retina succeeded was because of the advertising Apple puts forth. It gives developers incentives to support the screen.

I really like this laptop in general. Too bad it is a Toshiba. I hate Toshiba personally because they dont allow you to install 3rd party drivers from people like nVidia or AMD. So you will be stuck with an outdated driver for years. As nice as this is though, I would rather put the money toward a MBP Retina or a Samsung Series 9. I really wanna see where Samsung goes with their upcoming high resolution Series 9.

VitalyT Apple is not gonna bring the Retina to the Air just yet. That is a rumor. I dont think they will since it will take up too much battery life, and adding more battery space to an already tight chassis will be tough.

Julio Franco I agree. I think the only reason the MBP Retina succeeded was because of the advertising Apple puts forth. It gives developers incentives to support the screen.

I really like this laptop in general. Too bad it is a Toshiba. I hate Toshiba personally because they dont allow you to install 3rd party drivers from people like nVidia or AMD. So you will be stuck with an outdated driver for years. As nice as this is though, I would rather put the money toward a MBP Retina or a Samsung Series 9. I really wanna see where Samsung goes with their upcoming high resolution Series 9.

I absolutely love the Series 9 design, it's absolutely gorgeous! But I'd rather it have a the competing resolution of 2880x1800 rather than 2560x1400.

Features smeatures. Will they have clever marketing? That's what we care about.

Back