Toyota's first modern EV arrives this spring starting at $42,000

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In brief: The Toyota bZ4X SUV will be offered in both front-wheel drive and all-wheel drive variants. The XLE FWD model boasts an EPA-estimated range rating of up to 252 miles while the AWD version can go 228 miles on a single charge. Recharging from low to full using the 6.6 kW onboard charger will take about nine hours with a Level 2 charger either at a public charger or at home.

Customers will also have the option to purchase a ChargePoint home charging system and roll the cost into the vehicle purchase or lease. Kits come with a 23-foot charging cable to support different parking configurations, and Toyota says you can expect to get about 25 miles of range per hour charged.

Ideally, you'll just want to leave it plugged in overnight to top it off daily.

With horsepower ratings of just 201 for the FWD variant and 214 for the AWD model, don't expect the bZ4X to be a street legal rocketship like some other EVs. Toyota says the FWD version can sprint from 0-60 mph in around 7.1 seconds; the AWD variant trims the time down a little to 6.5 seconds.

About that name - bZ4X. The Japanese automaker said the "bZ" stands for "Beyond Zero," and was "developed with human-centricity at the heart, meaning it hopes to provide more than a mobility solution but also an innovative space for customers."

Interested parties can search for a nearby dealer over on Toyota's website. As mentioned, pricing starts at $42,000 but approaches $50,000 if you want an AWD model with the Limited trim package.

Permalink to story.

It has a 72 kWh battery. Has a motor with 201 horsepower and only has 250 miles of range?
Not impressed, honestly. And I have a 5 year old Focus EV that charges better than 25 miles range per hour on a level 2. Looks like the money saved was because of the charging system. Im very curious how fast it can charge on level 3. My Focus charges at 9 miles per minute on a level 3.

Pretty good performance though.

Last edited:
It's not terribly difficult to build an EV.

#1 You take the tried and true battery platform with either dual motors or a single motor FWD
#2 You make it a crossover
#3 You give it parts from your regular parts-bin that you've already tested and certified for quality and reliability (window switches, HVAC buttons, etc)

I was actually wondering how long it would be till Toyota announced their EV. I'm sure I'd enjoy driving this more than I do their boring appliance 4-cylinders and V6 models.

EV all essentially drive and handle the same save for high performance acceleration, crab-walking and interior comfort/luxury.

Less than 300 miles on a full charge is disappointing. Yes it is possible to use this as a work daily driver appliance but you would probably be charging twice a week. 300 miles range seems to be the sweet spot.

25 mile per hour charge.

So if you want to go anywhere long-distance, you will need to spend 10 hours charging to go 4 miles on the highway. If you want to go anywhere over, realistically, 90-100 miles from home

Oh and don't forget that losing 30% charge is considered normal, so take 75 miles off after 5-6 years.

What a steaming pile of dung.

So if you want to go anywhere long-distance, you will need to spend 10 hours charging to go 4 miles on the highway. If you want to go anywhere over, realistically, 90-100 miles from home
There is a rumor that an EV can be plugged in at home but, it's probably a leftist conspiracy theory.

Oh and don't forget that losing 30% charge is considered normal, so take 75 miles off after 5-6 years.
You have been shown, with tests and other proof, that this is bullshit.
I have even told you that my 2017 Focus EV with 38,000 miles still has 92% battery.
So, let's try something new. YOU prove yourself. And please, none of the one offs you are so famous for.

25 mile per hour charge.

What a steaming pile of dung.

EV are really ideal for someone that rarely drives or puts on so few miles it wouldn't matter if they had gas or electric powered vehicle.

That's not really an ideal vehicle for a lot of Americans simply due to the amount of time we sit in traffic or distances we travel since the US is so spread out. My wife puts maybe 50 miles a day on her car and can spend upwards of 1.5 hours sitting in traffic. I put maybe 30 miles a day. However, we do travel to family out of state and an EV like this wouldn't work. We'd make it maybe halfway and need to charge for 5-6 hours and then drive the other half....that's just stupid.

We'd be better off with hybrid vehicles. Some of those hybrids get 90+ mpg. If I'm doing a lot of highway driving I can get may 30 mpg in my CX-5.

1. Not enough range
2. WAY too long to charge
3. Too expensive

I guess if you are a daily commuter, it's ok, but EV's don't have the range (especially
when using lights, heat/AC, stereo/tv's etc) for a trip, not to mention who wants to spend
NINE hours on a trip to recharge.

They only work if you have another vehicle... or if you only commute a few miles per day... but in Toronto, where the average commute time is about 45 minutes, this just doesn't work.

Once charging stations are as plentiful as gas stations - and they take about the same time to charge your car as it does to fill a gas tank - we're in business.

1. Not enough range
250 miles per day is not enough?
2. WAY too long to charge
(y) (Y) Especially this Toyota. Shameful actually.
NINE hours on a trip to recharge.
That's why I would like to see what it does on a level 3.
3. Too expensive
Ignoring propulsion, how many smokers are as well equipped for the price?
They only work if you have another vehicle.
On vacation? Probably. But like I said, how many people need more than 250 miles per day?

If I'm doing a lot of highway driving I can get may 30 mpg in my CX-5.
And you would pay almost as much for that 30 miles as I pay for a 166 mile trip to Eureka Springs.
Once charging stations are as plentiful as gas stations - and they take about the same time to charge your car as it does to fill a gas tank - we're in business.
That is getting MUCH better now that any make can use a Tesla Supercharger. Like I said earlier, even my 5 year old Focus gets 9 miles charge per minute on a level 3.

Last edited:
What about people that live in apartments or other places that can't plug in at home?

(y) (Y)

images

images

Maybe they should stick to what they're good at. Hydrogen fuel cell car, Mirai, with a record range of 845 mi and 3 to 5 min to fully fill up the tank.

250 miles per day is not enough?
For normal days... it is... not if I want to leave the city though.
Ignoring propulsion, how many smokers are as well equipped for the price?
Nice one :)
On vacation? Probably. But like I said, how many people need more than 250 miles per day?
Hence the need for a second car...
That is getting MUCH better now that any make can use a Tesla Supercharger. Like I said earlier, even my 5 year old Focus gets 9 miles charge per minute.
Still need WAY more work... I can fill my gas tank in less than 2 minutes... and go over 300 miles on it...

And while SOME apartment buildings have charge stations... that is NOT the norm... yet... I hope it will be in a few years...

Maybe they should stick to what they're good at. Hydrogen fuel cell car, Mirai, with a record range of 845 mi and 3 to 5 min to fully fill up the tank.
Wishing more companies would go Hydrogen instead of electric... alas, it gets bad press - probably due to the Hindenburg... Same way Nuclear gets a bad rap in the electricity world due to Chernobyl...

Wishing more companies would go Hydrogen instead of electric... alas, it gets bad press - probably due to the Hindenburg... Same way Nuclear gets a bad rap in the electricity world due to Chernobyl...
Actually, it is more likely because most hydrogen available in the commercial market these days is produced from an extremely dirty fossil fuel to hydrogen process https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_production#:~:text=Fossil fuels are the dominant source of industrial,of methane or natural gas. Steam methane reforming
There is ongoing research into H2O electrolysis, but nothing commercially available is really viable - ATM.

Actually, it is more likely because most hydrogen available in the commercial market these days is produced from an extremely dirty fossil fuel to hydrogen process https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_production#:~:text=Fossil fuels are the dominant source of industrial,of methane or natural gas. Steam methane reforming
There is ongoing research into H2O electrolysis, but nothing commercially available is really viable - ATM.
Yeah... the main problem with getting it from water is cost... but I suspect that big oil has discouraged research into it... I feel it shouldn't be that hard for some smart people to figure out a cheap way to get Hydrogen... not to mention the "byproduct" would be oxygen - a fairly important gas :)

I've been kicking around getting a Prius Prime to replace my 06' Prius, but if the rumors are true and Toyota is coming out with Solid Batteries in 24, I think I might wait. Sadly, this car does not have solid batteries, yet. Solid batteries would certainly reduce charge times.

Yeah... the main problem with getting it from water is cost... but I suspect that big oil has discouraged research into it... I feel it shouldn't be that hard for some smart people to figure out a cheap way to get Hydrogen... not to mention the "byproduct" would be oxygen - a fairly important gas :)
There is quite a bit of research into the field - the most exciting of which, IMO, is the use of catalysts. For example - https://phys.org/news/2022-04-electrocatalyst-biomass-hydrogen.html
The oil companies will only stem the tide. Pretty soon, their fingers will be too small and few to plug the leaks in the dykes.

Impressive car to say at least.
Light, decent range, decent power, smaller tires, solar roof, heat pump and stock AC included, decent price for EV category, battery warranty ... if my stance on SUV's would not be "definitely no", I would more than consider this one.
If their new Plugin/EV Prius looks anything like that ... I am buying that.

Love the regular discussion about the design and HP power. That never gets old :-D

Here's an interesting article about Honda dumping a sizeable investment into EV production: https://www.thedrive.com/news/honda-announces-30-new-ev-models-by-2030-including-two-sports-cars

From the article:
One of the key ambitions is affordability, with a promise that Honda's tie-up in the U.S. with GM will lead to affordable EVs being sold in North America from 2027, priced the same as gas cars. So we might finally see something that isn't a luxo SUV from them, at that point and that's just the start because Honda intends to launch 30 EV models globally by 2030, ranging from commercial-use mini-EVs like the ones it's got planned for the Japanese market through to what it's calling "flagship-class models."

And for all you "they are boring to drive" types, Honda says that it is producing two sports car models. You'll have to read the article yourselves to find it.

Back