TPP: The biggest global threat to the Internet since ACTA

Jesse

The Electronic Frontier Foundation is reporting that the content industry is at it again with TPP, the Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement. In what it’s calling the “biggest global threat to the Internet since ACTA,” the EFF is raising alarms about the new proposed agreement that would likely “export some of the worst features of U.S. copyright law to Pacific Rim countries.”

Eleven governments from around the Pacific, including the US, Australia, Peru, Malaysia, Vietnam, New Zealand, Chile, Singapore, Canada, Mexico, and Brunei Darussalam, are scheduled to meet and negotiate the TPP agreement from May 15-24 in Lima, Peru.

Perhaps what’s most alarming, yet not surprising, is that these arrangements are being made entirely in secret, cutting out democracy and transparency from the process. Most of what is known about the current version of the TPP is from a leaked draft [PDF] from February 2011.

While the Trans-Pacific Partnership is a broad trade agreement, the EFF is concerned mainly with the chapters pertaining to copyright and intellectual property law. These include “a broad ban on breaking digital locks on devices and creative works (even for legal purposes), a minimum copyright term of the lifetime of the creator plus seventy years (the current international norm is the lifetime plus fifty years), privatization of enforcement for copyright infringement, ruinous statutory damages with no proof of actual harm, and government seizures of computers and equipment involved in alleged infringement.”

What’s worse, they say, is that this agreement would effectively preempt any participating country from introducing more balanced copyright laws in the future, locking them into policies that are potentially harmful to consumers and will inhibit their ability to create on the Web.

For a more detailed look at the provisions within the TPP consult the EFF page, and if you are as concerned by this news as we are, consider sending a message to a local representative (or go to stopthetrap.net if you are outside the US). We've also attached the infographic below for a quick visual overview of TPP.

TPP Infographic

Permalink to story.

Perhaps what?s most alarming, yet not surprising, is that these arrangements are being made entirely in secret, cutting out democracy and transparency from the process.
They are being made in secret? One line earlier it said that the meetings are at the end of May. So that means the WILL be made in secret. Except that now we know, so I guess it's not a secret anymore. What democracy exists around the pacific rim that should be included? Is it fair to say the meetings aren't transparent before they've been held?

What?s worse, they say, is that this agreement would effectively preempt any participating country from introducing more balanced copyright laws in the future, locking them into policies that are potentially harmful to consumers and will inhibit their ability to create on the Web.

Who is 'they'? And the leaders in the US do a pretty good job of not jumping into multi-national agreements that hurt our citizens. See 'Kyoto protocol'.

Or maybe this painfully biased article was simply meant to get comments like the one from Guest above rolling....

And the UK wasn't mentioned, not sure if that's a good thing or not, I'm going to go with a good thing?

Oh milwaukeemike, going on w/ your "people in power can do no wrong" comments again? You're terribly predictable. Most politicians don't give two shits about anybody but themselves and the people that can help them make more money.

The political system is a joke until money is taken out of politics. Money really is practically the root of all evil. You're in denial. This world is screwed because they have people like you who "think" they're wealthy while defending the people in power. Divide and conquer and you're playing into it just the way they wanted.

It's amazing how most people that make it to the middle class, all the sudden think they've got the whole world figured out. Your motto should be "Unregulated Capitalism FTW!"

When will we get rid of lobbying? The people seem to be powerless. No one likes lobbying, yet it remains. Legal bribes that run our country. Politicians should do what they think is best for the nation not their wallet.

Im worried about latinamerica countries, they are very susceptible to get that pact just bcuz the US order it...specially mexico. In mexico thats the way to pass every law that attempts against the people, and with the new goverment they really love to unregulate the capitalism.they really know which countries will succumb with this pact...its not coincidence. just look the list and the US have History there

Oh milwaukeemike, going on w/ your "people in power can do no wrong" comments again? You're terribly predictable. Most politicians don't give two shits about anybody but themselves and the people that can help them make more money.

The political system is a joke until money is taken out of politics. Money really is practically the root of all evil. You're in denial. This world is screwed because they have people like you who "think" they're wealthy while defending the people in power. Divide and conquer and you're playing into it just the way they wanted.

It's amazing how most people that make it to the middle class, all the sudden think they've got the whole world figured out. Your motto should be "Unregulated Capitalism FTW!"

You are exactly correct. They don't care about anyone but themselves, and top on their list of self interest is re-election. And for that, they need us.

You sound like a conspiracy theorist. How can I be so trusting of our government and be in favor of 'unregulated capitalism'? Those are opposites, democrats believe in the govt to protect them, while republicans want less regulation and a freer version of capitalism. So which am I?

I also note that you haven't mentioned any multi-national agreements that the US has entered which have hurt us. I can give you a few huge examples of the govt failing at their intention of their laws... gas mileage quotas, no child left behind, Obamacare... but those all have some Americans in their best interest. I don't believe our govt would agree to something that would stifle American innovation.

You may think I'm in denial and that's fine... my opinion of you is that you see things in black and white with no room for something that isn't extreme. Money is the root of all evil? Really? All of it? I could point to a few religious texts that have played a part in a few wars (and bombings!) throughout history. Anyway... money is used as a scapegoat for people who don't understand that the real motivator is power.

Whatever, I'm not arguing with you anymore... the point was this article was so biased and full of fear-mongering that I'll be finding another source for my information about it.

MilwaukeeMike, as with all news, I'd encourage you to fact check and look for alternate sources to ensure you have the whole story. You're concerns about bias are warranted, but generally speaking, this article is reporting what the EFF has to say on the issue.

MilwaukeeMike, as with all news, I'd encourage you to fact check and look for alternate sources to ensure you have the whole story. You're concerns about bias are warranted, but generally speaking, this article is reporting what the EFF has to say on the issue.

Excellent point, Jesse (Schoff?), but the first line I quoted...
"Perhaps what's most alarming, yet not surprising, is that these arrangements are being made entirely in secret, cutting out democracy and transparency from the process."
sounded a lot like the author's personal opinion to me. I don't think it's fair to say they have (present tense) been doing something in secret when it isn't scheduled to start for two weeks. And adding 'yet not surprising' wasn't the EFF's opinion.

I will however admit that I'm completely guilty of not believing anything I read when it's presented in giant blood red capital letters on a black background and uses phrases like 'deeply flawed'.

Back to the topic... if the US does succeed in getting other countries to abide by these copyright laws, the other developing countries will probably do what they always do. They'll ask for something in return (like money, aid, etc), get it, and then turn a blind eye to the crimes in their own country while telling us they're doing everything they can to stop the perpetrators.

I must admit, the ominous black & red info graphic had me worried they were going to warn us about Nazis at some point. Thankfully, a link to an older version of the bill was included for some perspective.

FFS will they JUST LEAVE OUR NET ALONE! I think we need to start our own network that is so heavily encrypted that they have no idea how to access it.

You guys do realise that Tasmania is not a country by itself and is A PART of Australia?

Just saying...

Back