Transcend Radeon 9600

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris86

Im thinking about bying one of these cards. Either the SE or PRO.
Now, do you have any experience about Transcennd manufactured videocards? Are they good and wich one should i buy?

If I were you, I'd buy a Sapphire card because they are very good.

Also, don't buy the "SE" because it sucks ;) Buy a Pro or XT.

Could you be a litle bit more specific about why the SE sucks.
I will look take a look at Sapphires.

Hmmm, I'm only relaying information that others have told me ;)

IIRC, the SE is under-clocked and doesn't perform well. :D Maybe someone can clarify it but I know for a fact it isn't really good. The 9600 Pro/XT is the way to go.

wats better, a 9600 pro 256mb EZ for £115 or a 9600xt 128mb for £129 and wats with the Ez and Xt? wats the difference, and do i need the extra 128mb of mem?

The SE runs with a much slower clock (less MHz) and doesnt have 1 or 2 more pipelings the PRO/XT has. I think from memory the SE's clock is like 300MHz on the core, where as the XT's is 500MHz. The ram on the XT is something like 600 i think, then the SE was 350 or whatever. Big difference in speeds, which results in much lower performance.

...Unless you get a good 9800se that you could Softmod, but odds are the one you may be looking at may not be one capable of such.

With the choices you listed, go 9600XT. Good card for the price.

Originally posted by Rory7
wats better, a 9600 pro 256mb EZ for £115 or a 9600xt 128mb for £129 and wats with the Ez and Xt? wats the difference, and do i need the extra 128mb of mem?

Don't buy anything ending in "EZ" or "SE" ;)

No, you do not need the extra memory for today's games...however I think DOOM 3 will make good use of the 256MB but it's a waste of money right now IMO.

By the way, never heard of a "EZ" so I wouldn't trust it. Get the Pro or XT 128MB version.

Not quite sure if this is applicable to the 9600, but many of the lower-end cards with 26mb ram runs slower than their 128mb counterparts...

This is because slower (and cheaper) ram is used, and this holds back the card from realising it's potential....

Therefor, I'd suggest you check very carefully with the shop selling the 9600 256mb EZ to find out what speeds the core run at, and what the speed/who the maker of the ram is...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back