Transfering harddrive data

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our mother board died due to lightning, In replacing the motherboard, what kind of problems will I run into in trying to boot up after motherboard is replaced?

Due to lightning?!! :eek: If you're mobo died due to that, I'm pretty sure some other stuff would have died also (like your CPU?)

Dead motherboard

Everything comes on but monitor shows the color cube which says monitor is working, to check cables and server. video card was replaced with no luck.

If you replace it with the exact same mobo, you could be in luck.
If you use a different mobo and the rest is still working, you will probably have to re-install everything from scratch, because the mobo-specific drivers will be different.
This causes Windows to fail booting even, most likely.

Hello carpenter3865 and welcome to Techspot.

Please don`t start multiple threads for this subject.

You do need to replace your mobo. If you`re real lucky, that`s all you`ll have to replace. On the other hand, the lightning strike could`ve taken out other components as well.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

This is why you should have surge protectors and UPSs on your computer. When I was working a local tech shop and there was a lighting storm we would always put in an order for a few extra motherboards and UPSs. Cause the next day we always seem to sell quite a few :).

Jimbo420 said:
This is why you should have surge protectors and UPSs on your computer. When I was working a local tech shop and there was a lighting storm we would always put in an order for a few extra motherboards and UPSs. Cause the next day we always seem to sell quite a few :).

lol

I think also the PSU would be shot but you say it starts up.

CrossFire851 said:
I think also the PSU would be shot but you say it starts up.

If I were replacing a motherboard after a lighting strike I think I would probably replace the psu just for the heck of it because that surge that took out the motherboard had to go through the psu before it go to the motherboard.

Then you just have to hope they didn't take other things with them.

carpenter3865 said:
Our mother board died due to lightning, In replacing the motherboard, what kind of problems will I run into in trying to boot up after motherboard is replaced?
what OS are you using ?
98 se should be ok just find the right drivers for board diff board
on W2k some times you will have issues with boot cause the hardware abtraction layer will not like the new board if a diff board
on xp it will cause a reboot cycle most times or a BSOD
again if a diff board
same board you will not see a problem unless the bios is differant
then only xp may give you headaches
I say time for whole new rig and reload os get your data back after
or to migrate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back