Travel to space in style in Blue Origin's passenger capsule

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Blue Origin, the space flight company from Amazon founder Jeff Bezos, has released the first images of what the inside of its guest capsule will look like. Those envisioning cramped, utilitarian passenger quarters will be sorely disappointed; this is a space tourism outfit, after all.

The capsule is plenty spacious with posh accommodations for six. Each passenger gets a large window and a small tablet-style display used to track the flight’s progress. That center bit isn’t a table or an in-flight bar but rather, as Ars Technica highlights, the capsule’s escape motor (Blue Origin tested this feature last October).

Pricing hasn’t yet been revealed for the roughly 10-minute space flight (with around three minutes of weightlessness) although estimates peg it in the $100,000 to $200,000 range. At that price, most of us would never get to experience a ride but for those with the cash to burn (no pun intended), a flight on the New Shepard vehicle would most certainly be memorable.

Passengers would experience around 3 to 4Gs while blasting off into space. Bezos explained last year that the rocket engine, which produces more than 100,000 pounds of thrust, would feel more powerful as time elapsed due to constantly burning off propellant and the vehicle becoming lighter.

If given the opportunity, would you accept a once-in-a-lifetime ride to space or would you chicken out like me? Let us know your thoughts in the comments section below!

Permalink to story.

Before I actually read the article I thought the object in the center was some kind of glorified electronic community toilet (very techie). Then I read that it’s only the capsule’s escape motor (bummer). Whoever the lucky cosmonauts are, they better hope it’s only a 10 minute trip.

Perhaps if they serve their guests canned Coke they can use the empty cans in an emergency. I hear it’s been done.

Well, if it is a high tech toilet and they serve the coke that was also mentioned with human feces inside it will certainly do it's part to cut down on unnecessary weight AND promote recycle sustainability .... even if only for that 10 minute trip. I just hope the landing is better than that first plane they built ... that was a bit embarrassing, eh?

OH NO ..... I'm sorry, that was the other company that crashed their first plane ..... well, you know, they all look the same to me ...... (sic)

Shutupandtakemymoney! ...oh, I don't have the money...
But you can blast me to outer space right now!

"Passengers would experience around 3 to 4Gs while blasting off into space. Bezos explained last year that the rocket engine, which produces more than 100,000 pounds of thrust, would feel more powerful as time elapsed due to constantly burning off propellant and the vehicle becoming lighter."

This is literally basic rocket science: conservation of momentum. As the mass is reduced, and the force remains constant, the object must accelerate in order to maintain it's total sum of momentum. This is nothing special to Blue Origin, it is how all rockets operate (and why they are so expensive to operate - its not so much the fuel burning, as the fact the fuel is 'leaving' at such a significant rate as it burns that creates the motion)

"Passengers would experience around 3 to 4Gs while blasting off into space. Bezos explained last year that the rocket engine, which produces more than 100,000 pounds of thrust, would feel more powerful as time elapsed due to constantly burning off propellant and the vehicle becoming lighter."

This is literally basic rocket science: conservation of momentum. As the mass is reduced, and the force remains constant, the object must accelerate in order to maintain it's total sum of momentum. This is nothing special to Blue Origin, it is how all rockets operate (and why they are so expensive to operate - its not so much the fuel burning, as the fact the fuel is 'leaving' at such a significant rate as it burns that creates the motion)

I believe the part that makes it unique is that your passenger who may fly on this thing wouldn't automatically know that. Neither would your average tech site reader. This is a space flight for non-astronauts.

Sign me up!

Back