Triple monitors on a Dell E310

Status
Not open for further replies.

fodog

I have read all about building a new PC but on a budget I would like to run 3monitors on my Dell e310 bought 12/05. It has 230W power supply and all stock stuff listed at specs page at Dell. From what I read, if I add a dual output video card to my PCIe X1 slot or my regular PCI slot, I would have to disable my integrated video output. Then I would be up to two monitors. To enable a 3rd monitor I would have to add another card or can I somehow enable the integrated video that came with it and two additional monitors from the added dual output PCI x1 card? Also, say I have to add two PCI cards to get to 3monitors (assuming I can't use the integrated vga output the e310 came with). Can I use a PCIe x1 video card and a regular PCI video card together to run 3 monitors? I only have one PCIe x1 slot, no x16 slots and a regular PCI slot free....I am willing to risk the light power supply and see if it works before I add there....this is not for gaming-only web surfing and streaming stock trading info on 3 screens...Thanks for any info-this site is AWESOME!!!

Since you have such a low power PSU I would buy two of the cheapest dual head PCI video cards you can find. A really cheap Radeon can be found here or here

Thanks...think I can mix a regular slot PCI (not express) dual head card and a PCIexpress 1x dual head card?-I have one of each kind of slot open.. Also does it matter if the cards are ATI or Nvidia type with the Dell mobo? I've read I have to keep the two video cards the same but wasn't sure if I should pick one over the other-are Dell motherboards only compatible with one type over the other? Thanks again!

So you don't think I can add two dual cards to run 3monitors? I think I am going to go with the ATI type cards but was still worried a PCIe x1 and a regular PCI won't work together? THanks for the product suggestions...I think I am going to go cheap in case things don't work with like the cards that boogityboo04 listed...Thanks for the info!

You can use a PCIe 1x slot for one card and a PCI slot for another card. Assuming you have windows XP 32-bit (or lower) any card you can buy will be supported under your OS. However, PCIe 1x graphics cards are expensive - the cheapest one you could probably find would be around 75-100$, So if i were you i would get two PCI cards. And I actually have 3 monitors - it rocks!

Edit: i dont know about using your integrated video and one dual head PCI or PCIe 1x card - I would assume you could do that, but i don't know your computer, and can't be arsed to go find it on the dell website esp. when you didn't give a link. I would try it with one and order the other if the integrated doesn't work out

Gavin_Capacitor said:
Edit: i dont know about using your integrated video and one dual head PCI or PCIe 1x card - I would assume you could do that, but i don't know your computer, and can't be arsed to go find it on the dell website esp. when you didn't give a link. I would try it with one and order the other if the integrated doesn't work out
It doesn't work on that model Dell, at least with a PCIe card.

Thanks guys-I think I am going to give a couple cheap cards a try that Boogityboo04 listed...will let you know how it goes. I have more questions about building a new system but will start a new thread...Thanks everyone!!

Remember, you won't be able to use two of the cards I listed unless you have two PCI slots. Make sure to buy one only PCI card and try using it along with the onboard video to make three (the dual head + onboard vga). The onboard should work together with a PCI card, but not a PCI ex x1 card, if I remember correctly.

I will try the PCI card with the onboard first...If that doesn't work-do you think the PCI ex x1 card would work with a regular PCI? Thanks for the info-this really helping out. I keep reading product info on Tiger and NewEgg but they don't really help on actual use in conjunction with other equip....

I do not think a PCI ex1 would work with the PCI card, esp. if they are both NVIDIA. The NVIDIA drivers have a problem sometimes with running two different cards. Tried to use a PCI card with my PCIex16 7600GT and the PCI card was just ignored by the drivers.

BTW, I have been told that a PCIex16 card will actually work in a PCIex1 slot, which would mean it would be easier for you to find a card, but I would not take that for granted. The card would run fine at 1/16 the bandwidth in theory, but it doesn't seem like the slots would fit unless you had an open ended PCIex1 slot. I wouldn't try it.

Have you looked at the Matrox triple-head-2-go by the way? It is a great solution for the thing you want to do, but unfortunately pricey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back