Trouble with Avast free version

circusboy01

I've tried three times. Twice full and once quick. But once Avast finishes scanning, I get this 'Some files could not be scanned".. When I click on show results, I get "Error Archives is password protected".
I cant take any action Send to chest delete, or anything.
I did not set a password for my Archives. At least, not to my knowledge. I also uninstalled using Revo, but when I installed again the new version had the same problem.
Thank you, in advance for any help.

I added to this post yesterday. But. I guess I forgot to hit save changes. I changed the word above to scanned, I think I had saved there. So it is actually "could not be scanned. Hopefully fixing this mistake will make it easier for someone to help me'
I uninstalled again, and installed a new one yesterday.. Still getting "Some files could not be scanned"
At first I was thinking maybe I turned something on, or off in Avast without realizing it. But, I guess that doesn't make sense, because when I uninstalled it, and downloaded a new copy whatever I did would have been rectified.
I'm going to wait until late this evening. If no one is able to help me by then I'm going to uninstall and download another AV. Any suggestions maybe AVG, or Avira ?

It's me again. Last time I promise. Boy am I dumb. I need to install a new AV right away. Who knows what kind of crap could be on my machine since I can't scan it.

Can someone tell me why no one has responded to my post above? First time I've ever had 65 looks and no comments..Has my post been moved? Is that why the font is less bold then the others.
I'm using Avira now, but I would really like to get my avast back.

I am sure someone here might know. Sorry I don't use Avast. Its the weekend people might not be home .

The reason why no one rushed to answer may be because such posts often lead to heated but pointless argument about which free AV program is best. The answer is to find out yourself which program suits you. Prevaricating will of course make the situation more complicated if you get a nasty infection that screws up Windows.

I've tried three times. Twice full and once quick. But once Avast finishes scanning, I get this 'Some files could not be scanned".. When I click on show results, I get "Error Archives is password protected".
I cant take any action Send to chest delete, or anything.
I did not set a password for my Archives. At least, not to my knowledge. I also uninstalled using Revo, but when I installed again the new version had the same problem.
Thank you, in advance for any help.

I added to this post yesterday. But. I guess I forgot to hit save changes. I changed the word above to scanned, I think I had saved there. So it is actually "could not be scanned. Hopefully fixing this mistake will make it easier for someone to help me'
I uninstalled again, and installed a new one yesterday.. Still getting "Some files could not be scanned"
At first I was thinking maybe I turned something on, or off in Avast without realizing it. But, I guess that doesn't make sense, because when I uninstalled it, and downloaded a new copy whatever I did would have been rectified.
I'm going to wait until late this evening. If no one is able to help me by then I'm going to uninstall and download another AV. Any suggestions maybe AVG, or Avira ?

It's me again. Last time I promise. Boy am I dumb. I need to install a new AV right away. Who knows what kind of crap could be on my machine since I can't scan it.
I've had the same problem & dumped Avast for a while. I can't find my thread in here just yet but when I do, I'll let you know. Till then, just ignore it & continue on. :)
Here is that thread
https://www.techspot.com/community/topics/error-archive-is-password-protected.178661/

The reason why no one rushed to answer may be because such posts often lead to heated but pointless argument about which free AV program is best. The answer is to find out yourself which program suits you. Prevaricating will of course make the situation more complicated if you get a nasty infection that screws up Windows.

He was not asking for the best AntVirus. He came here for a answer to his problem with Avast.

I knew it was a mistake to post in this thread. He shouldn't be asking the question in the first place. Please leave me out of it.

From the Avast Forums: A lot of files are password protected. Especially security software ie; avast, MalwareBytes,etc. The reasons for this are obvious. Others are password protected by their authors to protect copywrite materials. For this reason avast has no way of knowing or any reason to know their passwords. These "archive" files are inert by nature and pose no problems. It's the executable files that may or may not be problematic. And that's when avast does its best work.

I personally run ESET's NOD32 which is a great software and even that will report certain files cannot be scanned. I have had one infection and that is all.

* I suggest doing a search at the Avast forums if you are still concerned. Also, I have two laptops running Avast free and one with the $ version.

Last edited:
Here is a uninstaller for Avast, http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility

If you have installed any other anti virus programs .You may want to look for their uninstaller.

Revo dose not always delete the full anti virus.
Thanks I'll try that link. It makes sense, to me,, that thge reason I was getting the same problem, when I installed new versions of Avast, could be because I wasn't completely uninstalling it..

Thanks I'll try that link. It makes sense, to me,, that thge reason I was getting the same problem, when I installed new versions of Avast, could be because I wasn't completely uninstalling it..
I forgot to mention in the thread I linked to, I used MSE for a while but eventually went back to Avast.
Perhaps a complete uninstall/reinstall will help. I wish you well. :)

I knew it was a mistake to post in this thread. He shouldn't be asking the question in the first place. Please leave me out of it.

If you no longer want to post here. That's okay. Although I don't understand why. There are no heated arguments here.

From the Avast Forums: A lot of files are password protected. Especially security software ie; avast, MalwareBytes,etc. The reasons for this are obvious. Others are password protected by their authors to protect copywrite materials. For this reason avast has no way of knowing or any reason to know their passwords. These "archive" files are inert by nature and pose no problems. It's the executable files that may or may not be problematic. And that's when avast does its best work.

I personally run ESET's NOD32 which is a great software and even that will report certain files cannot be scanned. I have never had an infection ever.

* I suggest doing a search at the Avast forums if you are still concerned. Also, I have two laptops running Avast free and one with the $ version.

If learningmypc's link doesn't fix the problem, I will look in the Avast forum..
I just don't understand how I could use Avast for about 3 years with no problems then, all of the sudden, something is password protected.. Especially when I didn't purposely set any passwords.

Here is a uninstaller for Avast, http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility

If you have installed any other anti virus programs .You may want to look for their uninstaller.

Revo dose not always delete the full anti virus.

Thanks. I'll remember that.

Okay. Everybody. I'm going to use the knowledge I learned from all your post, and see if I can fix my avast. Wish me luck.

You should probably use revo to uninstall it & then use ccleaner & reboot. Then reinstall it from here
Good luck..

I'm using AVG 2014 now. I'm going to wait another day before I try to install Avast again. I'm frustrated with it. for a while..

I'm going to send a post to everybody Please look at it. You might have some good in put.

My Helpful TS friends.
I'm using AVG until I can figure out whats wrong with Avast.
I have a question. AVG does a full scan in about 1/8th the time it takes Avast to do a full scan. Do you think it's because AVG is that much faster than Avast, or do you think it just doesn't do as thorough a job as Avast?

I seriously doubt anything is wrong with Avast. I think it was just a quirk.
I just scanned both of my machines (Vista & W7) with Avast & no problems.
The problem I had that you experienced has not reoccured. I'll stay with Avast but if anything does happen, I'd use MSE.

I don't use Avast. I use Eset's Nod 32. Same as Route 44 has posted. I have used it for years. Its a good anti virus program. It will post to that it dose not scan certain Files. I really think from what I have read about Avast that it was working right. Other words I am in agreement with Route 44 has said.

As far as AVG, Don't know much about it either. But I do know if you go to uninstall it. Make sure you use their uninstaller. Do to Revo will not take it out of windows. Have ran across this with quit a few antivirus programs.

Hi All, I have had problems trying to uninstall anti-virus programs before, but in all cases the uninstall program provided by the program's maker does work.... but it's not always easy to find it ! (Can't think why.)
I have MS Defender and the old PC Tools 'Threatfire' installed and I can't remember any problems happening to my PC.
I don't think Threatfire is available now but the updates get installed about twice a week, so I keep it installed.

Hi All, I have had problems trying to uninstall anti-virus programs before, but in all cases the uninstall program provided by the program's maker does work.... but it's not always easy to find it ! (Can't think why.)
I have MS Defender and the old PC Tools 'Threatfire' installed and I can't remember any problems happening to my PC.
I don't think Threatfire is available now but the updates get installed about twice a week, so I keep it installed.
MS Defender, aka Windows Defender? I've heard its a pos & should be permanetely turned off.

For What it may be worth, Avast just updated their program.

I downloaded the new version, and I really like it. Except for the I'm still getting the "some files could not be scanned" crap.
However. I think I found the actual, files that cannot be scanned. I was looking at all the stuff on the new version Found a thing that, either said warning or error. I don't remember which, and I don't want to wait for another scan to find out which is correct. Anyway. This showed up c:\\Windows\Winstart.bat Error. File is offline it is currently not available (42006) I'm thinking If it's not available, it can't be scanned. Does this make sense to anybody but me?

I seriously doubt anything is wrong with Avast. I think it was just a quirk.
I just scanned both of my machines (Vista & W7) with Avast & no problems.
The problem I had that you experienced has not reoccured. I'll stay with Avast but if anything does happen, I'd use MSE.
Thanks for this post.You are always one of the first to try to help..You say we had the same problem.
Did you actually have reocurring scans that had "some files could not be scanned on them, even after you uninstall, and downloaded a new version, at least 3 times? You say you think it was just a quirk. Perhaps it was for you. But 'was' doesn't work for me. Mine is still quirking.;0)
However I posted right before this post, that I might have found the problem. It's the post righ above this one. You probably already read it.
P.S. I don't think quirking is a real word. But I like it. So it's going in my vocabulary. :eek:)

Hi All, I am using Windows 8 Pro, and the Defender that is included with it.
( Not the version that was with Vista.)
I just did a search for 'Files that could not be scanned with Avast AV' and there are plenty of posts on many other forums about the same thing.
But I am not surprised some files cannot be scanned...Windows won't allow it, for security reasons, I would think.
But I could be wrong here, if anyone knows better, but some files in Windows O/S should be out of reach from A/V scanners, and any other program that tries to destroy our operating systems.

Back