Trump administration says it won't restrict AI development

midian182

Staff member

After hitting the headlines numerous times recently, artificial intelligence has found itself under the spotlight these last few months. But concerns over AI haven’t prompted the Trump administration to consider introducing any stifling regulations.

At a White House AI summit that brought together representative from 40 companies including Google, Facebook, and Intel to address issues related to the technology, Michael Kratsios, the deputy assistant to the president for technology policy, said the government wouldn’t restrict AI research and development.

“We didn’t cut the lines before Alexander Graham Bell made the first telephone call,” Kratsios said. “We didn’t regulate flight before the Wright Brothers took off at Kitty Hawk.”

Following the controversy over Google's Duplex voice-calling system and the recent death of a pedestrian who was hit by an Uber self-driving vehicle, there had been calls for the introduction of government regulations, but Kratsios wants to maintain a free-market approach to AI.

Kratsios also spoke about concerns over the effect AI will have on jobs. "To a certain degree job displacement is inevitable. But we can't sit idle, hoping eventually the market will sort it out. We must do what Americans have always done: adapt.” Some steps being taken to address this problem include grants for education, promotion of apprenticeship programs, and rural broadband for online learning.

The White House also announced the formation of a new task force: The Select Committee on Artificial Intelligence. Made up of the “most senior R&D officials” from across the federal government, it aims to “improve the coordination of Federal efforts related to AI to ensure continued U.S. leadership in this field.”

Permalink to story.

The less government interference we have in our lives the better our lives will be.

Shrink government, reduce regulations and give us FREEDOM to run our lives the way we see fit. Freedom is the enemy of liberalism!

Good. AI at the moment is dumber then a box of hammers. We are expected to reach dog levels of intelligence in 21 years, and that is from the same people that claim level 4 autonomous vehicles will be here in 5 years, and have been saying that for 5-6 years.

The less government interference we have in our lives the better our lives will be.

Shrink government, reduce regulations and give us FREEDOM to run our lives the way we see fit. Freedom is the enemy of liberalism!
While I agree that government interference can cause problems, removing regulations should be done with a scalpel. Many of those regulations were put into place for a reason, some because of greed, some because of public demand, some in the interest of public health or national security.

One of the few things I agree with Trump on. ai can be a huge help and there's no use being afraid of something because "there was a movie about it".

Except you forgot one thing. People are dumb, and increasingly so. So less regulation means more people taking advantage of others. Lets fix our problems with society first, then when we can stand on our own two feet, we can "let go" of government's hand and walk on our own.

One of the few things I agree with Trump on. ai can be a huge help and there's no use being afraid of something because "there was a movie about it".

Except you forgot one thing. People are dumb, and increasingly so. So less regulation means more people taking advantage of others. Lets fix our problems with society first, then when we can stand on our own two feet, we can "let go" of government's hand and walk on our own.

Just remember. We as humans are not infallible. Hence, whatever we design or create is also not infallible. Being in IT, I always like to say a program is only as smart (or dumb) as the person who programmed it.

But, I do agree, less government intervention is better.

My opinion on AI is whatever. it's bound to happen sooner or later.. kind of like to see it in my lifetime.

Terminator was one of my favorite movies.

Just remember. We as humans are not infallible. Hence, whatever we design or create is also not infallible. Being in IT, I always like to say a program is only as smart (or dumb) as the person who programmed it.

But, I do agree, less government intervention is better.

AI will be able to fix, repair, and learn on it's own. Thus, not very accurate. At first it will be, but not after a specific point. I'm sure there's a word for it, but IDK I'm not that smurt.

In the past I wouldve agreed with this 100% but I think recently, im more on the side that governments should step in to regulate the huge companies that have grown to a point I believe they have way too much influence on said governments themselves.

AI can have a massive impact on the creation of and spread of misinformation in the future and unfortunately, people these days are becoming too stupid to question the things they see. I believe things like this should definitely be regulated..

Automation can enable us to fully tap the well of human ingenuity and creativity. That being said, not having regulations in place when AI is becoming more and more potent is asking for a disaster.

"Liberalism is a political view based on liberty and equality."

-wikipedia

or how about this definition

"Liberalism, as originally and properly understood, is the historic advocate of individual freedom. It has promoted the rule of law and private property, with the free exchange of goods and ideas. Its opposition to censorship and state economic controls is based on the same principle of freedom. "

FYI what you're advocating for is anarchy. If you wanted zero government intervention go sail out to a random island in the middle of nowhere and there you can have your "freedom". Only then may you realize what society gains as a whole by pooling together our resources in what is called "government" to be used for the good of everyone. Modern corporations would not exist without government as it is the government that enforces IP and S&E laws. Without those companies would not be able to protect their investment and the stock market would still be full of pump and dumps.

Freedom is an ideal that ignores the realities of life. Remove regulations and companies will abuse absence of rules. All you've done is traded government oversight with corporate dominance. As we've clearly seen with Equifax, Mylan, Valiant, VW, bank of America, and HSBC just to name a few over the past few years. I know people affected by these companies lost freedoms from the lack of regulation. Where is the freedom in Valiant buying Syprine (a drug) you need to live and jacking the price up 480%? You just lost your freedom, because every cent you have from now on is going to them just so you can live. Valiant is a company that was founded on buying up drugs people needed and jacking the price up. Or how about VWs use of defeat devices? Do the people who are having lung issues from the excessive nOX fumes get their Freedom if we were to even further reduce regulation? The answer is no, nOX is dangerous in even small doses and the damage in permanent. Ditto goes for healthcare, where congress has implemented a single payer system for themselves just like every other 1st world country yet the American citizen is left out to dry. Get rid of Obamacare and what have you got? Companies like Mylan and Valient jacking of prices which in turn increase your up front cost and the cost of insurance for everyone. That's just the tip of the healthcare iceberg as I'm well aware of everyone from medical equipment manufacturers and doctors are getting in on the feeding frenzy. I used to know a GE engineer who quit because he was tired of making medical devices for hospitals that were designed to fail after a certain amount of time/uses. Remove regulations from the healthcare market and it will simply make the effectiveness of our system fall even further below the 3rd world country like ratings we already have. At least with Obamacare in place we can at least say we didn't step over the dead bodies of our fellow American to save a few bucks after the people who were previously high risk fail to get healthcare and die.

The concept of freedom is the same to both the left and the right is the same, it's just the implementation that's different. One side wants things to return as they were and the other wants new ideas to take their place. Both want freedom.

Amazing. Kratsios speaks of "adapting" and "not letting the market sort it out" when this administration has been all about deregulation. They'll use any kind of sophistry when it suits them.

That being said -- no, there's no need for regulations proactively at this point. We'll have to watch and see what happens. If these new technologies do come to look like they are relieving us of our burdens then we're going to have to do a deep dive into regulation, with much shorter hours and much higher wages, and the tech companies who are being served by this freedom as well as companies across the board are going to howl. But don't count on this administration to do what needs to be done.

Meet The Task Force
Trumpinator-ac267f5ad50663ecb19fbfb26de490b8.jpg

In the past I wouldve agreed with this 100% but I think recently, im more on the side that governments should step in to regulate the huge companies that have grown to a point I believe they have way too much influence on said governments themselves.

AI can have a massive impact on the creation of and spread of misinformation in the future and unfortunately, people these days are becoming too stupid to question the things they see. I believe things like this should definitely be regulated..

That's a problem with GOVERNMENT, not with companies! We have a bloated federal government full of crappy politicians that only care about perception and votes.

"Liberalism is a political view based on liberty and equality."

-wikipedia

or how about this definition

"Liberalism, as originally and properly understood, is the historic advocate of individual freedom. It has promoted the rule of law and private property, with the free exchange of goods and ideas. Its opposition to censorship and state economic controls is based on the same principle of freedom. "

FYI what you're advocating for is anarchy. If you wanted zero government intervention go sail out to a random island in the middle of nowhere and there you can have your "freedom". Only then may you realize what society gains as a whole by pooling together our resources in what is called "government" to be used for the good of everyone. Modern corporations would not exist without government as it is the government that enforces IP and S&E laws. Without those companies would not be able to protect their investment and the stock market would still be full of pump and dumps.

Freedom is an ideal that ignores the realities of life. Remove regulations and companies will abuse absence of rules. All you've done is traded government oversight with corporate dominance. As we've clearly seen with Equifax, Mylan, Valiant, VW, bank of America, and HSBC just to name a few over the past few years. I know people affected by these companies lost freedoms from the lack of regulation. Where is the freedom in Valiant buying Syprine (a drug) you need to live and jacking the price up 480%? You just lost your freedom, because every cent you have from now on is going to them just so you can live. Valiant is a company that was founded on buying up drugs people needed and jacking the price up. Or how about VWs use of defeat devices? Do the people who are having lung issues from the excessive nOX fumes get their Freedom if we were to even further reduce regulation? The answer is no, nOX is dangerous in even small doses and the damage in permanent. Ditto goes for healthcare, where congress has implemented a single payer system for themselves just like every other 1st world country yet the American citizen is left out to dry. Get rid of Obamacare and what have you got? Companies like Mylan and Valient jacking of prices which in turn increase your up front cost and the cost of insurance for everyone. That's just the tip of the healthcare iceberg as I'm well aware of everyone from medical equipment manufacturers and doctors are getting in on the feeding frenzy. I used to know a GE engineer who quit because he was tired of making medical devices for hospitals that were designed to fail after a certain amount of time/uses. Remove regulations from the healthcare market and it will simply make the effectiveness of our system fall even further below the 3rd world country like ratings we already have. At least with Obamacare in place we can at least say we didn't step over the dead bodies of our fellow American to save a few bucks after the people who were previously high risk fail to get healthcare and die.

The concept of freedom is the same to both the left and the right is the same, it's just the implementation that's different. One side wants things to return as they were and the other wants new ideas to take their place. Both want freedom.

"Liberalism is a political view based on ignorance, stupidity and the lack of a brain to see the big picture."

That's a problem with GOVERNMENT, not with companies! We have a bloated federal government full of crappy politicians that only care about perception and votes.

I not writing that gov isn't bloated and corrupt. I am writing that large companies are corrupt. We are screwed unless the Swamp is drained

"Liberalism is a political view based on ignorance, stupidity and the lack of a brain to see the big picture."

What an insightful quote on the nature of tautology. I really hope that's actually from someone and not just made up by you and shoved into quote marks to make it more """profound""".

Liberalism is about individual freedom. Same root word as liberty, liberate. It literally means freedom. If you were to look for an example of Liberalism in practise, you'd probably do no better than to look at the founding documents and ideas behind the United States. The Constitution, the Bill of Rights, and Tom Paine's Rights of Man are all Liberal to the core.

Maximise the rights of the individual? = Liberal.
Minimise governmental or social coercion? = Liberal.
Guarantee freedom of conscience, thought and speech? = Liberal.

Scary, huh?

HAHAHAHA....that is COMPLETELY twisted as evidenced by the actions of liberals.

The truth:

Minimize the rights of the individual and transfer those to government control? = Liberal.
Maximize governmental or social coercion? = Liberal.
Guarantee freedom of conscience, thought and speech that agree with the progressive doctrine while other points of view are suppressed? = Liberal. (see Berkeley)

Scary, huh? YES! Liberalism, I.e. social progressiveness is the bane of modern society and capitalism!

Scary, huh? YES! Liberalism, I.e. social progressiveness

The modern incarnation of social progressiveness is not liberal, so is therefore not Liberalism. Definitions matter. It's like if I said "Free-market proponents, I.e. fascists", you'd likely be very confused as I've used two terms that aren't the same thing at all.

Back