Trump wants to use couriers for important messages because "no computer is safe"

midian182

Staff member

Apart from his apparent love of Twitter, President-elect Donald Trump isn’t a huge fan of technology. Speaking last week about the Russian hacking incidents, the Republican blamed computers for complicating people’s lives. Now, he’s suggested a method of keeping sensitive government information safe: stop using computers and send messages via human couriers.

Speaking to reporters at his Mar-a-Lago estate in Southern Florida, Trump made the comments during his annual New Year’s Eve party on Saturday. Admittedly, his belief that “no computer is safe” is well founded, but using couriers instead of electronic means to communicate is excessive and comes with its own security issues. The method would mean that humans - often the weakest link in the cyber security chain - would be even more at risk from nefarious parties.

Instead of upgrading government networks and security, Trump said he’d rather use couriers for those “really important” messages, though it’s hard to imagine that physically passing on notes would be any safer than the computerized equivalent.

Hours after his statements, Trump’s press secretary, Sean Spicer, said the next president would continue to embrace Twitter as a platform for making major policy announcements. "There's a new sheriff in town, and he's going to do things first and foremost for the American people … Absolutely you're going to see Twitter," Spicer said on ABC's This Week.

As a punishment for its alleged hacking activities, the Obama administration placed new sanctions on Russia last week, which included the expulsion of 35 Russian diplomats. When asked what he thought about sanctioning Russia, Trump said: “I think we ought to get on with our lives.” 

Permalink to story.

Techspot, this writer is an *****.
Indeed. That's not what he said. When asked about the importance of cybersecurity in his administration, Trump said this:

"It's very important. You know if you have something really important, write it out and have it delivered by courier, the old fashioned way, because I'll tell you what, no computer is safe, I don't care what they say, no computer is safe. I have a boy who's 10 years old -- he can do anything with a computer. If you want something to really go without detection, write it out, and have it sent by courier, that's the way I feel".

And he is 100% correct. Using computers to transmit data is a calculated risk.

But nowhere in his statements does he say he's going to use couriers instead of upgrading networks and infrastructure. Quite the opposite. Trump is on record in other speeches with clear intentions to engage the technical community because he believes that we have the best and brightest here in the US, and that they, more than government, will be able to find solutions.

This is just another liberal journalist spreading fake news.

Now, that is an ignorant. In fact computers can be even more secure than physical messages. But the world is full of dumb people, so it's right to have a dumb president.

I guess.

Now, that is an ignorant. In fact computers can be even more secure than physical messages. But the world is full of dumb people, so it's right to have a dumb president.

I guess.

" In fact computers can be even more secure than physical messages " That's what Hillary said !!!! HAHA!!!

In all honesty, read the post before yours, and watch the youtube video. He never said " he is going to use couriers instead of networks and infrastructure." That being said, I'm sure the current administration, and past administrations have used couriers instead of networked connections for information.

Every thing Trump says is Gold.
Yeah, gold crap. A courier will be no more safe than a computer. Trump has just raised the stakes to life and death for his couriers.

I am not sure who is the bigger fool. Trump, for thinking that any communication can be totally secure, or those who believe everything he says.

Last edited:
That's politics for you. Talk a lot and say nothing. He's absolutely right about no computer being safe though. Maybe he'll place his trust in carrier pigeons for his top secret communications.
Someone will find a way to put a mist net up in front of that carrier pigeon...

Yes, because Trump says so. ROTFLOL People like you are so gullible.
No, because it's an undeniable truth that no system made by man is 100% secure -- including couriers. But a military courier with a physical package is much harder to compromise without detection -- and impossible to compromise remotely.

Try to make your points without ad hominems. You'll improve your credibility.

Indeed. That's not what he said. When asked about the importance of cybersecurity in his administration, Trump said this:

"It's very important. You know if you have something really important, write it out and have it delivered by courier, the old fashioned way, because I'll tell you what, no computer is safe, I don't care what they say, no computer is safe. I have a boy who's 10 years old -- he can do anything with a computer. If you want something to really go without detection, write it out, and have it sent by courier, that's the way I feel".

But nowhere in his statements does he say he's going to use couriers instead of upgrading networks and infrastructure. Quite the opposite. Trump is on record in other speeches with clear intentions to engage the technical community because he believes that we have the best and brightest here in the US, and that they, more than government, will be able to find solutions.

WRONG

Kinda of a **** article especially starting with the underheading. But just to put my own 2 cents. I think if its a message you don't want to accidentally be stolen by a hacker(DNC EMAILS!!) Then what is wrong with the tried and true way(Courier)? I see nothing stupid at all with Trumps comment. Computers everyday are hacked or given to viruses/spyware that steal thousands if not millions of peoples data/info. So Trump was neither wrong nor stupid or out of touch to make such comments. He wasn't even wrong with saying his kid knows computers. I know of young teenagers who can do **** with a computer I never even thought of. So get off Trumps back and see that he isn't nearly as stupid as some might paint him out to be. People keep underestimating the man and he keeps proving you all wrong. When the hell are those people going to realize that maybe they are the ones who aren't nearly as intelligent?

WRONG
Love how all you can put is "Wrong" without any type of reason on why he is wrong. Do you think Trump will stop our advancement in cyber security? That he will just say "Guess what guys we don't need computers pull them out and we are using typewriters from now on!" ? The man will get fires put under all these dept's butts and make sure we aren't hacked again. But if he has a message he doesn't want the possibility of being hacked he will use a courier. Its called using common sense.

Yes, because Trump says so. ROTFLOL People like you are so gullible.
No, because it's an undeniable truth that no system made by man is 100% secure -- including couriers. But a military courier with a physical package is much harder to compromise without detection -- and impossible to compromise remotely.

Try to make your points without ad hominems. You'll improve your credibility.

Well said, too often people especially on the opposite side politically will attack just thinking that they are more clever that surely because they didn't think of it it must be stupid. But by doing so they make themselves to be *******es.

As a coincidence, a package from walmart was just lost in the mail and delayed.

Just for some reference. For important letters of State, personal couriers are used not UPS or FedEx or USPS. In fact couriers are used as of today between State buildings. So no the mail will not get lost if so that man would have to be quite stupid and would be fired on the spot.

Both points are, in fact, correct.

1. Rob is liberal. If he's not, I'm sure he can correct the record.

2. This article tells a blatant, provable lie. See the video posted above.

These journos who cover Trump are dishonest. This has been proven again and again since he announced in 2015. Everything that comes out of the mouths or past their editors, is verifiably false. Just like this article.

I know you #NeverTrump and #NotMyPresident folks think you're taking some type of moral stand defending obvious deceptions, but you aren't. There are plenty of reasons to not like Donald Trump. Defending dishonest "journalists" isn't a winning strategy. Look how intelligent these guys are:

C1IjBnIUAAAL2Jh.jpg:large

Now... on to a serious bit of site feedback.

This Rob fellow, who also seems to have a background writing clickbait, is not doing you guys (TechSpot owner(s) and staff) any favors.

Here's the line from the AP article he's using as a source. I've bolded the important part.

Trump says he rarely uses email or computers, despite his frequent tweeting.

He told reporters during his annual New Year's party Saturday night that he believes in writing out important messages and having it delivered by courier.

This is arguably a reasonable take on what Trump said at the event. I think we can agree with that.

Now, here's what Rob opens with. Again, important part in bold:

Speaking last week about the Russian hacking incidents, the Republican blamed computers for complicating people’s lives. Now, he’s suggested a method of keeping sensitive government information safe: stop using computers and send messages via human couriers.

He didn't say that. The AP didn't report that he said that. Yet, there it is.

If you don't reign this guy in, he's going to cost you traffic and a very big chunk of growth. I know we give some of the writers a hard time over a sloppy a comment every now and then or being too favorable to manufacturer X, Y or Z, but this guy's approach to reporting is going to damage your brand.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back