Trump's cybersecurity advisor had his iPhone erased after entering the wrong password

mongeese

Staff
Facepalm: Unlocking smartphones... tough stuff, eh? A mere 26 days into his role as Trump’s cybersecurity advisor and attorney, Rudy Giuliani was spotted by Apple employees waiting outside their store in downtown San Francisco. He was there because he’d been locked out of his iPhone 6 after entering an incorrect password ten times, forcing them to wipe it clean and set it up new from his iCloud backup.

Don’t worry, you’re allowed to laugh – though NBC only recently discovered the little mishap, it occurred in 2017 so the potential security problems have come and gone. That’s lucky because handing over an iPhone with sensitive documents relating to Trump isn’t a great idea, and nor is storing them in iCloud. But a show of lax cybersecurity from the expert? Comedic gold.

As you may have heard, Giuliani has had an awkward history with technical mishaps. Almost a year ago he tweeted “Mueller filed an indictment just as the President left for G-20.In July he indicted the Russians who will never come here just before he left for Helsinki.” By not including a full stop (a mistake we all make, be honest), he accidentally created a link. A prankster purchased the unregistered domain and made an anti-Trump site.

Giuliani accused Twitter of letting the prankster “invade” his text, not-so-subtly insinuating they’re biased against the right-wing. If you’re curious about why only the first instance of no spacing created a link, it’s because .in is the domain for India and Twitter automatically links common domains.

And of course, Giuliani also recently butt-dialed an NBC reporter by accident, twice, while discussing some sensitive things, but that’s a whole ’nother story. Pro tip: lock your phone before putting it in your pocket. And another: don’t forget your phone’s password.

Image credit: Getty via Newsweek

Permalink to story.

Any decent lawyer would see that as "distruction of evidence" and charge him accordingly, especially after he went on television and flatly stated "he had all the evidence right here" waving his cell phone around.

I like Trump but not Rudy Giuliani.............Why? Well because do your homework & research and you will find that Rudy was a cheap Fuc* during the 9/11 attacks and responders didn't get the correct breathing mask. Rudy claimed it would delay the cleanup and cost a lot more money. The responders that got sick and or died sadly had on those cheap painters mask.

I guess time and money is more important than the brave heroes that suffered & died.

I like Trump but not Rudy Giuliani.............Why? Well because do your homework & research and you will find that Rudy was a cheap Fuc* during the 9/11 attacks and responders didn't get the correct breathing mask. Rudy claimed it would delay the cleanup and cost a lot more money. The responders that got sick and or died sadly had on those cheap painters mask.

I guess time and money is more important than the brave heroes that suffered & died.

If that's all it takes for you to dislike Rudy, I'm surprised you still like Trump.

There's another ludicrous old man who clearly has absolutely no idea about anything technical let alone the very complex world of cyber-security. Sounds like the perfect man for the job...

If that's all it takes for you to dislike Rudy, I'm surprised you still like Trump.

Trump is the lesser of the two evils. You need to stop watching TV news do your homework. For gods sakes I live in CT and when Trump won office WTNH news spotted a Russian spy ship and our news agency literally said a war is coming and there was parents freaking out asking if their kids should go to school on on WTNH news feed on their Facebook page. Then they found out it's a normal thing for Russian ship to coast the waters near NYC & CT and documented since the 1960's. I can hand you a dozen comical stories if you got time man.

The stories were actually erased but I managed to save one I think.

Last edited:
Trump is the lesser of the two evils. You need to stop watching TV news do your homework. For gods sakes I live in CT and when Trump won office WTNH news spotted a Russian spy ship and our news agency literally said a war is coming and there was parents freaking out asking if their kids should go to school on on WTNH news feed on their Facebook page. Then they found out it's a normal thing for Russian ship to coast the waters near NYC & CT. I can hand you a dozen comical stories if you got time man.

The stories were actually erased but I managed to save one I think.

It seems to me you are conflating an extremely rare, small in scope, and unprovable example with concrete actions Trump has taken, like leaving our allies for dead in syria and letting ISIS members escape. Or how about directing members of his administration to ignore congressional subpenas? Nixon did that, it's a violation of the constitution. Or admitting on national television that he was withholding aid to a foreign country in exchange for political dirt and even raising the ante by asking other nations for the same. You can go and watch the unedited clips on C-Span. Birds of a feather flock together they say. Trump clearly likes Rudy or else he would have been canned like everyone else.

Your comment also reeks of whataboutism. You aren't addressing actions taken by Trump, you are trying to pass blame off to some random unrelated small news station. Instead of tackling the issue at hand, you try to change the topic. I'm sure people in Germany said the same thing when the jews were being put into camps. "They took our jobs!" and "They are controlling the economy!".

"Adolf Hitler and Nazi propagandists played on widespread and long-established German anti-Semitism. The Jews were blamed for things such as robbing the German people of their hard work while themselves avoiding physical labour. Hitler declared that the mission of the Nazi movement was to annihilate "Jewish Bolshevism".[16] Hitler asserted that the "three vices" of "Jewish Marxism" were democracy, pacifism and internationalism,[17] and that the Jews were behind Bolshevism, communism and Marxism"

It is eerily similar to what Trump does. Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

On topic, this is no surprise. Trump appoints the most ill suited Trump loyalists possible to positions in the administration.

Quite bluntly, IMHO, Giuliani more than likely had his phone erased, "accidentally on purpose", to avoid being indicted on his own "merits"..

Historically, this is the modern day equivalent of the "missing 18 minute" gap in White House tape, which presented itself during the Nixon impeachment inquiry.

Somebody "accidentally" erased it? Was it "equipment failure". Did the machine, "run out of tape? In any case, the stench from that little 'brain fart", lingers well into the present.

But then, I imagine many of you are too young to remember the ugly mood in the country that caused, and many of those that do, only recall it via the retelling today.

Last edited:
It seems to me you are conflating an extremely rare, small in scope, and unprovable example with concrete actions Trump has taken, like leaving our allies for dead in syria and letting ISIS members escape. Or how about directing members of his administration to ignore congressional subpenas? Nixon did that, it's a violation of the constitution. Or admitting on national television that he was withholding aid to a foreign country in exchange for political dirt and even raising the ante by asking other nations for the same. You can go and watch the unedited clips on C-Span. Birds of a feather flock together they say. Trump clearly likes Rudy or else he would have been canned like everyone else.

Your comment also reeks of whataboutism. You aren't addressing actions taken by Trump, you are trying to pass blame off to some random unrelated small news station. Instead of tackling the issue at hand, you try to change the topic. I'm sure people in Germany said the same thing when the jews were being put into camps. "They took our jobs!" and "They are controlling the economy!".

"Adolf Hitler and Nazi propagandists played on widespread and long-established German anti-Semitism. The Jews were blamed for things such as robbing the German people of their hard work while themselves avoiding physical labour. Hitler declared that the mission of the Nazi movement was to annihilate "Jewish Bolshevism".[16] Hitler asserted that the "three vices" of "Jewish Marxism" were democracy, pacifism and internationalism,[17] and that the Jews were behind Bolshevism, communism and Marxism"

It is eerily similar to what Trump does. Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

On topic, this is no surprise. Trump appoints the most ill suited Trump loyalists possible to positions in the administration.

I appreciate your time and effort, but it's pointless to argue with the mentally unstable who cite non-sequitars as some sort of liberal plot of destruction.

Full disclosure, I work for NBC.

OK... so you have "proof" that Giuliani is worse than Trump.... fair enough, I've heard plenty of stuff saying the man's a scumball (he dropped out of the governor's race presumably because his opponents had dirt on him)... care to provide some PROOF of these allegations on here instead of merely stating it like fact?

Last edited:
I appreciate your time and effort, but it's pointless to argue with the mentally unstable who cite non-sequitars as some sort of liberal plot of destruction.

Full disclosure, I work for NBC.
@Squid Surprise I think you've completely misinterpreted this post.
OK... so you have "proof" that Giuliani is worse than Trump.... fair enough, I've heard plenty of stuff saying the man's a scumball (he dropped out of the governor's race presumably because his opponents had dirt on him)... care to provide some PROOF of these allegations on here instead of merely stating it like fact?
You're responding to comments and accusations made by @Dimitrios , and attributing them to the wrong member, @veLa

I can't read, I used to work for the post office. You being a schoolteacher, can't hide behind that paradigm, or common misconception, call it what you will.

If it wasn't your data why care? Was the doomsday bomb defused or launched?
Why do or did people care about the missing segments of the White House tapes during the Watergate investigation?

From my PoV, "accidentally erasing" a cell phone or a VHS tape, .constitutes, "tampering with evidence", We just do it a bit differently these days. We don't even have to do it ourselves. We can just say "whoops", and let Apple destroy evidence for us.

"Oh gee, the House of Representatives might subpoena my phone, I'll just have it erased".

Some people might interpret that as "obstruction of justice". or. "tampering with evidence".

But the conservatives are trying to pump out the bilge water notion that, "poor Rudy", is just an airhead

Last edited:
Rudy is completely unhinged in a way that even Herr Dumbf can't match. Surely this is an attempt at humour to say that this corrupt imbecile is a cybersecurity expert. Got to love how Herr Dumbf goes out of his way to find the biggest most corrupt morons and put them in roles they have no clue about. Every single portfolio is staffed by such people. All were found at the bottom of the swamp.

Rudy is completely unhinged in a way that even Herr Dumbf can't match. Surely this is an attempt at humour to say that this corrupt imbecile is a cybersecurity expert. Got to love how Herr Dumbf goes out of his way to find the biggest most corrupt morons and put them in roles they have no clue about. Every single portfolio is staffed by such people. All were found at the bottom of the swamp.
Its Humpty Trumpty's version of draining the swamp.

I skimmed and saw the Hitler part ( go figure) and you lost credit. Did you know Obama was the one that had the cages made????? Explain that buddy. The major problem in America is illegals & our safety. Democrats especially in California NEED CHEAP LABOR and EASY VOTES. I use to work in the wine industry and without that help the vineyards would fail and the industry in Cali would crumble. Think outside the box man. Sorry but vets, law enforcement, and our homeless should come first. Look at any Democrat state and you will see they only focus on illegals and sanctuary area's that protect them from I.C.E............ Buddy read up on CT churches that protect illegals and ignore I.C.E This happens every week. We have homeless people pooping and peeing and having sexxx on video in the streets in California. Use your eyes and the truth like LIVELEAK, LEAKEDREALITY THEYNC, BESTGORE & THEGUDDA. You will truly see what's happening around America and the world. I'm done here.

I don't understand why this is becoming a news at all. Under the banner of trump security cyberadvisor? While you also mentioned it happen to everyone.

Cmon Techspot, you don't need to do this, right? Give that role to NYT and WaPo, you just focus in entertaining us with tech spots.

I don't understand why this is becoming a news at all. Under the banner of trump security cyberadvisor? While you also mentioned it happen to everyone.

Cmon Techspot, you don't need to do this, right? Give that role to NYT and WaPo, you just focus in entertaining us with tech spots.

I'm sorry if l dragged the comments on here. I justy had enough of people bashing Trump and with him being under the microscope 100X times more than any other presidents or politician is driving me nuts.

I was brushing my teeth and my girl had on the THE VIEW last week and also the JIMMY KIMMEL SHOW. Just unbelievable what I heard. 70% bashing and they talk to their viewers like children. This news even on SNL needs to lower it down a bit. $hit is getting played out! We got more things to worry about that's more important! What ever happen to Epstein that was killed in jail before he rated out Bill Clinton and a few other politicians???? How about Jussie Smollette with the false claims of Trump supporters jumping him. I can go on forever!

These witch hunts have to end.

It's the position that Giuliani holds, and it relates to his ability to do the job. Sorry, but him entering his password ten times on a phone simply does not follow for an expert in the field, IMO, and this makes him someone in whom I have no confidence to do the job.
I'm sorry if l dragged the comments on here. I justy had enough of people bashing Trump and with him being under the microscope 100X times more than any other presidents or politician is driving me nuts.
IMO, Trump only has himself to blame.
I was brushing my teeth and my girl had on the THE VIEW last week and also the JIMMY KIMMEL SHOW. Just unbelievable what I heard. 70% bashing and they talk to their viewers like children. This news even on SNL needs to lower it down a bit. $hit is getting played out! We got more things to worry about that's more important! What ever happen to Epstein that was killed in jail before he rated out Bill Clinton and a few other politicians???? How about Jussie Smollette with the false claims of Trump supporters jumping him. I can go on forever!
And how about claims by Trump supporters that commit outright crimes and mention his support of their position? There are two sides to the story.

And the comedy/late night shows - First amendment protected free speech.

It happens to all presidents regardless of political party though some are easier targets because of who and what they are.

They will end when the most unpresidential president ever, IMO, is out of office. IMO, it might also end if Trump finally figures out what is right and what is wrong, however, I do not hold any hopes at all for that since he thinks he is above the law as president.

Any decent lawyer would see that as "distruction of evidence" and charge him accordingly, especially after he went on television and flatly stated "he had all the evidence right here" waving his cell phone around.
But smashing multiple phones containing evidence with a hammer is perfectly ok

You know, we have over 1500 (!!!) pages of "news stories". So the question becomes, "why did you get involved with this one"?

Everybody passing through here thinks every story written needs their approval. Guess what, they don't.

This topic (IMHO), is a lot more interesting than what the story line for some bullsh!t computer game will be 6 months from now.

Here's a topic you might bring all your yearning and technical expertise to bear on: As reported by Reuters, Apple is seeking tariff exclusions from 11 products, including HomePod speakers, iMacs, parts used for repairing iPhones, iPhone smart battery cases, AirPods, and others.

(I couldn't post the link without it posting the entire page. But you're a smart kid, you'll find it).

Democrats only care if it's in their favor, let's look at a few scandals and tell me which are worse

Obama supplying guns to the cartels
Clinton leaving a diplomat and us Marines to die

Trump locks up illegals for violating immigration law
A senior citizen locks himself out of his phone and gets it restored by iCloud backup.

Dear god man, WTF are you talking about? As for "illegals", they've been used in farming in the southwest since before I was born, some 70 odd years ago? This song written by Woodie Guthrie tells of a plane crash in 1948 (!)

As for Trump, I voted for him. As I told @wiyosaya some time ago, "his campaign and election was fun and entertaining, but his impeachment will be even more so. So it goes.Here is another version of "Deportee". It's slightly more than 11 minutes long, and tells pretty much the whole story. I don't imagine you have the attention span to sit through the whole thing, But just in case you do, here it is:

BTW, do you think you'll be vacationing in Russia anytime soon? I'd suggest putting it off a few years, so you might possibly be able to stay at the 'Trump Moscow'.

Last edited:
Democrats only care if it's in their favor, let's look at a few scandals and tell me which are worse

Obama supplying guns to the cartels
Clinton leaving a diplomat and us Marines to die

Trump locks up illegals for violating immigration law
A senior citizen locks himself out of his phone and gets it restored by iCloud backup.
How about Trump leaving thousands upon thousands of Kurds to fend for themselves against the Turkish army? Jeez, how could you have left that out? That happened practically the day before yesterday.

BTW, Turkey is supposed to be a member of NATO, and guess what, they invited the Russians in to give them a hand

Back