tryin to bridge netgear wireless with linksys gateway..help

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi,

At work we currently have a Linksys AG241 4port ADSL2Gateway which works fine but two of us in the office have laptops which we bring in from time to time and other managers who come here from time to time also have laptops and need the internet.

In one of the cupboards here we found a Netgear DG834G v2 wireless router. Now i thought that if i plugged a network cable from the linksys to the netgear and switched the wireless on then it would pick up which it did at first but then it went off and on and off and on and its very unreliable and currently hasnt worked for a long time.

My question is are there any settings i should have put into the netgear router to make it more stable or work? I did google it and found that possibly setting the netgear as a access point could be the key to the problem but i cant see how to do that in the netgear settings.

any help very much appriciated

Make sure that the LAN address of the Netgear matches the LAN of the Linksys and doesn't conflict with any existing devices.
Disable the DHCP server on the Netgear.
Make sure you plug the network cable to one of the LAN ports of the Netgear router.

Correct thus far, but you will have to add a route to your gateway from the WAP because it is a router, not a switch or hub.

You didn't see anything to make that a Access Point so you can disable the DHCP in the wireless.. I have 3 routers here 1 wired DHCP server and two wireless router with the DHCP disable. The two wireless routers are used as Access Points on different floors.

mikescorpio81 said:
Correct thus far, but you will have to add a route to your gateway from the WAP because it is a router, not a switch or hub.

The (W)LAN side of routers is a switch/bridge. As long as you don't mess with the WAN side, you don't have to think about routing. Also, since all the devices are in the same subnet, routes don't matter. And, since we disabled DHCP, the Netgear is not advertising itself as a gateway.

I think you are right. In my head I was thinking too far ahead. I have a router at home (old) and I think that if I do what you say (disable DHCP, do not configure WAN port) it will primarily remain a layer 2 working device.

Cheers for that :grinthumb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back