Trying to build a bear minimum gaming computer

Iv been gaming for years, but when my desktop crapped out, I decided to go looking for a new one.. Sadly with no job, my budget is a whopping $450.. Could anyone help me with minimum specs and or point me in a direction where I can find a prebuilt desktop.

Iv been gaming for years, but when my desktop crapped out, I decided to go looking for a new one.. Sadly with no job, my budget is a whopping $450.. Could anyone help me with minimum specs and or point me in a direction where I can find a prebuilt desktop.

Assuming you still have your monitor and peripherals, it is possible. For gaming with one discrete GPU, you can get away with:
Motherboard (<$100)
Intel i3 3220 ($129)
2x2GB RAM ($30)
1TB WD Green HDD ($70)
Asus sound card ($30)
DVD-RW ($20)
Video card (?)

Total: $379cdn before taxes.

^That's a start

Assuming you still have your monitor and peripherals, it is possible. For gaming with one discrete GPU, you can get away with:
Motherboard (<$100)
Intel i3 3220 ($129)
2x2GB RAM ($30)
1TB WD Green HDD ($70)
Asus sound card ($30)
DVD-RW ($20)

Total: $379cdn before taxes.

^That's a start
You forgot the GPU and PSU. Also green HDDs are trash (they run at 5400RPM). A WD Blue isnt much more expensive. Also sound cards are useless unless you have a >$100 sound system. It is a waste.

You forgot the GPU and PSU. Also green HDDs are trash (they run at 5400RPM). A WD Blue isnt much more expensive. Also sound cards are useless unless you have a >$100 sound system. It is a waste.

(?) for video card is left up to him and yes I left out psu I also said that is a start, not a complete setup. Greens are slower overall but that is less heat and strain on the drive itself at the lower RPM. For $500 system im sure he doesn't care if his games load a little slower using it. and you know nothing about sound cards.

(?) for video card is left up to him and yes I left out psu I also said that is a start, not a complete setup. Greens are slower overall but that is less heat and strain on the drive itself at the lower RPM. For $500 system im sure he doesn't care if his games load a little slower using it. and you know nothing about sound cards.
He knows enough about the potential benefits of sound cards over on-board audio to realize that a guy going for a $450 build will likely not take advantage of it. With budget builds, every cent counts, and that 30 dollars could be much better spent elsewhere. I'll also point out the fact that you've left him only $70 for a psu and a gpu, the latter being the primary performance booster in a gaming system.

Anyway, ignoring that, the build JC713 suggested is great for your price range. I would consider omitting an optical drive from the system as he suggested, and just get your games off Steam. If that isn't an option, just get the very cheapest you can find.

I'd also take a look at this guide:

It's a bit faster than JC's suggestion and a bit more expensive, but being AMD, will not allow you to upgrade to a better processor as easily in the future (eg an i5 or i7), so the choice is yours.

OP may be interested in building a machine around AMD's A10-5800K . But, that all depends on the games they intend to play.
With the 6800K around the corner, that may benefit him.

The Green drives are mainly for extra storage not for a boot drive.

He knows enough about the potential benefits of sound cards over on-board audio to realize that a guy going for a $450 build will likely not take advantage of it. With budget builds, every cent counts, and that 30 dollars could be much better spent elsewhere. I'll also point out the fact that you've left him only $70 for a psu and a gpu, the latter being the primary performance booster in a gaming system.

Anyway, ignoring that, the build JC713 suggested is great for your price range. I would consider omitting an optical drive from the system as he suggested, and just get your games off Steam. If that isn't an option, just get the very cheapest you can find.

"He knows enough about the potential benefits of sound cards over on-board audio to realize that a guy going for a $450 build will likely not take advantage of it. "

Because he would need $100 speakers? Are you high?

"likely"? "if"?

Um, you wouldn't need to use those words if you actually had contact with the OP, so in the meantime, don't use speculation in an argument. btw, not everyone sticks to budgets. This is the real world. LOL@no optical drive and download from steam. Now I get to speculate... what are the chances a guy building a $450 computer has the money to download games over the internet in the GIGABYTES? No don't reply to me, reply to the OP. ;)

I disagree with EVERYTHING you said. And like I said, my list was a start, not a complete setup. I was simply browsing the forums out of boredom. My systems are $2000-2500cdn each build so forgive me if I didnt' take the time to pick every freaking part out for the guy for a budget build. Obviously you have nothing better to do, except instead of getting all the information you would need from the OP, you're guessing and speculating with everyone but him-including me.

You lost all credibility with me when you stuck up for JC. Look at his number of posts and the number of likes. That shows he runs his mouth and once in a while he's right. Well he's not right this time, so that means you don't know much of anything either. Just because someone has a budget of $450 does not mean he will be happy with anything in that price range. You have no idea what a guy wants just from a budget of $450 without specifically asking, and I know you didn't because your comments here aren't with him, but with others here. Here's a tip. ASK THE OP.

"You need a $100 sound system to use a discrete sound card...", LMAO LMAO LMAO. There is not a soul on the planet that would strongly recommend $100 speakers to be used with a $30 sound card. Not a one. You can easily get brand name OEM packaged speakers for much less than $100. I got OEM Logitech X530 5.1 setup for $40 ffs. Get a clue will ya?

PS, the OP is not even involved in this discussion and all you are doing is suggesting stuff with others here trying to get your ego on or something, but when I help people, I make sure they are listening, because it is about them, not about me. Just sayin.

*sigh*

Alright matey, I'll point out a few things here, then move on, there's no point arguing too hard with someone like you.

Because he would need $100 speakers? Are you high?
Don't know where you pulled that from, I never said nor implied that he would need $100 speakers to take advantage of a sound card. I wasn't agreeing with what JC said in terms of pricing, I was agreeing with the notion that the OP will be better off putting his money elsewhere.

don't use speculation in an argument. btw, not everyone sticks to budgets. This is the real world. LOL@no optical drive and download from steam. Now I get to speculate... what are the chances a guy building a $450 computer has the money to download games over the internet in the GIGABYTES?
Actually I considered that, and I knew full well that I was speculating. You may have noticed that I added "If that isn't an option, just get the very cheapest you can find." just after suggesting that he omit an optical drive. It was simply a suggestion, not an order.

You lost all credibility with me when you stuck up for JC. Look at his number of posts and the number of likes. That shows he runs his mouth and once in a while he's right.

1684/118 = 14.27
436/23 = 18.96
(If you don't understand the maths, it means that for every 14 posts JC does, he gets 1 like, and that for every 19 posts you make, you get 1 like)
Need I say more?

Dude, I wasn't personally attacking you nor putting on a suit of armor and defending JC. I just believed that your suggestions may have been misleading to the OP.

You can reply with a huge long-worded post if you would like to, but I ain't replying.

That's not correct there was a time when there was no like system, but posts still counted so if you posted before the like system was implemented then that is not really valid.

That's not correct there was a time when there was no like system, but posts still counted so if you posted before the like system was implemented then that is not really valid.
True, so I guess that isn't a true representation of how their comments have been received, and there is no easy way to see when they posted the majority of their comments.

Wow! Why don't we jsut drop it all and get on with the original question asked with no hard feelings? :)

...Now to my contribution...

I would personally go with a APU from AMD.. The built-in grpahics greatly surpass Intel's integrated graphics. The processing power is slightly reduced with an AMD APU when compared with an Intel processor with integrated graphics, but the APU (Aim for £100) will be better for gaming due to the better graphics it offers.. I don't have time for a list of the items at the moment, but when the original thread poster returns, I shall create the list. I would then go for a really cheap case with fans and everythignlike that included, or re-use the old one from your old desktop if you can (depending on its age..etc). I would then look at the motherboard - aim for around £50/£100 or dollars (sorry, I'm British and don't know the conversion rates that well so I will do this in pounds). I would then go for around 4GB of RAM (maybe 8GB if your budget will stretch), bu keep it as fast as possible! Mine is personally running at 1866MHz dual channel. SEe if you can re-use the CD drive from your old computer (depending on its age...etc), or get a really cheap one from Amazon.co.uk, or maplins. They do them for around £35! With the PSU, don't go for knock-off cheap ones, aim for around £50 for a reasonable one.

I think I have included everything there... PSU, processor, graphics, case, RAM and motherboard are all the most important. For me to give moe information, which parts of the old computer, if you still have it, can you re-use and what are their specs? :) Thanks!

Back