Trying to choose a gaming desktop -- high performance, no overheating

Deery50

Hey, I am at the stage we all go through many times in our lives. Trying to decide what computer to get while your computer you have is slowly dying. I'm looking for hints on what computer might be the best for my needs as a gamer.

The main specifications i would like:
  • Atleaste 8gb Ram
  • 64bit CPU
  • Good graphics card
  • Good processor
  • Pre-installed with Windows 7 (Home Premium is fine)
  • Pretty much able to handle HD games without me setting all the graphics setting and performance settings to "Ultra Low" - "Ultra High" would be nice! :D
  • Something that doesn't overheats itself while using these settings (Don't want to keep checking the heat meters anxiously :( )
  • Room for upgrades, easily accessible inside.

Not every detail is needed really but that would be a dream computer. Thank-you for your help.

If you have the cash, and no DIY confidence, go for an Alienware.
If you like DIY (like me), read up reviews of hardware which you want, go to the hardware market, buy the 'dream hardware', go home, and assemble.
Hope this helps.
Good luck!

I couldn't suggest anything without the price tag you're looking at...

I'm really hoping for

Intel i5 2500k
8GB 1600mhz Ram
HDD 500gb 6/s
GTX 560 TI
Case like Z11 Plus with good cooling

I'd say this was a good build price/performance wise. You could order something like this from a custom PC site.

If you don't plan on playing CPU intensive games, you could always increase performance a little perhaps by dropping to an i3 processor and upgrading the graphics card to say a Radeon 6970 or possibly even dual 560 TI or better.

Nah, I wouldn't go for Alienware, horrendously overpriced when you look at the sum of the parts. Plus an Alienware nowadays is just a Dell with a fancy case...

Depends where you live, but try googling for some custom PC build sites and find one which doesn't overcharge too much. Alternatively just buy the components and build it yourself :)

Back