Trying to get windows to recognize HDD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SandV4

Hello everyone,

I have been trying to fix this problem for almost a month now. I went to load up COD4 on my comp, when I said the HDD had insufficient virtual memory and then the comp shut down. I was using a 6gb HDD and when I went to restart it the HDD was clicking horribly so I figured it met it's life expectantcy.

I then plugged in a 10gb HDD that I was using as a slave and did a clean install of XP but right before I am supposed to get to the XP Startup screen, it will give the option to start in safe mode, last known config and what not. No matter what I select I get the following BSOD:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption and then restart your computer.

Technical Information:
***STOP: 0x0000007B (0xBA4C3528, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000).

I have tried so many different things including swithcing out the IDE cables, re-installing XP, chkdsk with and without the repair, memtest86+ with 8 clean passes, as well as a diag on the HDD that comes back fine. If there is anything I haven't done, it would be much appreciated for someone to help. I have also gone to the Microsoft website regarding this particular BSOD but it all makes no sense to me and the last thing I want to do is start messing with stuff that I am not comfortable with.

Thank you all for your time and I hope something works.

Sorry, I meant Single (Standard Installation) as per the website for my particular HDD

this clean re-install
was that a delete and reformat?
what version of xp was this
and going to guess the drives are ide as the statement master jumper settings
check cables
i've had 2 drives go out the same day after playing with them like this
how old is this drive over 4 years and that size not worth the effort to install an OS
how long to you think you have left
unless of course this is some kind of seed box ,server box,test box an on an on

I deleted the old partition, made a new one, reformatted, and did a clean install. The boot disc I have is for XP Home and yes the drives are IDE. The latest manufactuer date on the different drives I have is 99.

Why would it not be worth installing an OS? I am not able to run the darn thing without an os would I? At least not for gaming and internet purposes. Definately not a genius with computers but I am not aware of a way to run these things without an os.

I think Sam is saying that the hard drive is to small for most of us to use on a Windows XP install. We would quickly fill it up and require an additional hard drive to install the programs that most of us use.

So in your case he's saying that maybe you should consider purchasing a new hard drive. There are several in Newegg that will work well with your computer.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&Subcategory=14&description=&Ntk=&srchInDesc=

But you have already eleminated the hard drive as the culprit, so maybe that's not the best idea. You have already tested the memory. The only thing left that is likely to be broken is the motherboard or PSU. Have you checked PSU volatges in the BIOS?

Yes. The psu is working the way it should be. I have also ran Memtest86+ with 8 successful passes. I was previously running XP on a 6gb HDD so it makes no sense to me why it would not work on a 10gb HDD. The motherboard has also been checked for any fried components and such and I did not find any. This whole situation is so frustrating. LOL Anymore help would be great. Thanks to everyone

I mean given the age of the drive how long before it fails
would it not be better to buy a small new drive say 20gb seagate for about 30 to 40 USD
then you know you have some time with it
plus a 3 to 5 year warranty
PS
you can download a linux bootable OS burn to disc dvd or cd and run OS from there
windows flavor is called bartPE xp I use for repairs and recovery would not run as a gaming OS
thats how I would give a client advise ,To start the rest of your specs show a descent system get a sata drive for it

Also wanted to add, that I don't want to purchase a new HDD just to have the same problem happen. I don't make all that much money seeing as I am in the military and if the new HDD winds doing the same thing then I will not be able to return it.

Samstoned,

So if I run this OS off of a disc what would I be able to do with the computer? What limitations does this bootable O.S. have? Would I be able to use most windows programs i.e. Office, Word, Media Player, etc.?

you sure can take it back
thats why the are retail
you can take them back
on another ave. of thought burrow a drive thats known good
you will need to reset cmos to default conditions remove jumper and jumper 2-3 for 40 secs or so replace to 1-2 postion
then try a delete of partition and reformat ntfs (it could be a bad cable)
if you can get to bios after the default setting look for drive setup and make sure its set for ide drive as 2nd boot look for anything about stop on errors and just have the keyboard mouse selected
the MB is not in warranty???

The stop on errors is already set as you instructed. As for borrowing another working HDD, there isn't anyone I know that has a spare IDE HDD that they wouldn't mind me re-formatting to have it work on my BIOS. As for the MoBo being under warranty, I honestly have no clue. I have gotten most of the parts for free from various people who were upgrading to bigger and better things. I have no clue how old the MoBo is not to mention that I am not the original buyer so I have no proof of purchase.

options are narrowing fast
I would try to delete reformat again
what version of xp spk1 or 2
may want to try a slipstreaming if you have the 1st xp with no service pak
check disc can be bad optical disk that is not loading the install files proper
still check the bios for what is proper setting for ide channel drives and sata channel
need to sort that as well
may help if you download the pdf manual for the MB
HERE

Samstoned,

This is latest update. I was using a Win XP SP2 disk to load windows OS. I have just aquired a XP Pro boot disc from a friend. I have the validation key from another copy of XP Pro that I have but it was not a bootable disc rather an upgrade. I will be trying this later in the day to see if that works. My BIOS is set to at all proper positions to reflect my hardware configurations. I hope that the problem is as simple as a bad cd because that is much easier to fix then a new MoBo or such. Thanks for all the help and I'll post again with the results of the XP Pro install. I will be doing a clean install as well as writing the disc to zero's using the manufactuer diagnostic disc just to make sure that any and all data is gone. HDD has already passed manufactuer diagnostic.

Holy Cow Samstoned!!!

I can't believe it but apparently the problem was my WinXP SP2 disc. I loaded up XP Pro from my friends disc and low and behold, here I am writing this message from a comp that I have not been able to fix in over a month. I love how the simplest of problems is the last solution thought of. THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR ALL YOUR HELP!!!

windows xp wont start in safe mode

SandV4 said:
Hello everyone,

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption and then restart your computer.

Technical Information:
***STOP: 0x0000007B (0xBA4C3528, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000).

I have tried so many different things including swithcing out the IDE cables, re-installing XP, chkdsk with and without the repair, memtest86+ with 8 clean passes, as well as a diag on the HDD that comes back fine. If there is anything I haven't done, it would be much appreciated for someone to help. I have also gone to the Microsoft website regarding this particular BSOD but it all makes no sense to me and the last thing I want to do is start messing with stuff that I am not comfortable with.

Thank you all for your time and I hope something works.

SO dirs my ? is same but when ,I try to start in safe mode i have this meesege , But nomal mode it is working without any problem and i am able to write here all my programms working fine

please give any advisse or hint what to do..
thanks in regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back