Trying to remove Vundo virus - log files attached after 8 step process

Status
Not open for further replies.

cavicens

Computer ground to a halt - found your post about 8 steps. Followed them. Can you please take a look at the log files?

Welcome to TechSpot cavicens. I'll try to help with the maleware. I need you patience as this is a very busy place. It is also helpful if you print drections to have them available:

• 1)[Download LSP-Fix and Save to its own directory on the desktop..
    2) Double-click on the file to open.
    3) In the left hand column, you should see the yejuhuwo.dll file listed.
    [o[Click on it to highlight
    [o] Click the arrow in the middle of the screen that points to the right
    4)This will move the filename to the right-hand column labeled Remove

[o]NOTE: If the arrow is greyed out and does not allow you to click it, you need to check the box above labeled "I know what I'm doing"

5) Once the file has been transferred to the Remove column, click Finish at the bottom of the screen.
    [o]You'll be presented with a results screen showing the file was removed from the Winsock layer entries in the registry.
    6) Close the LSPFix .
If you need more guidance for the LSPFix or screen shots, please see this Tutorial: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial59.html

Then run this: Please download ComboFix HERE:
  • With ComboFix, at the download window, please rename it to Combo-Fix(.exe) before downloading it.
  • Please disable all security programs, such as antiviruses, antispywares, and firewalls. Also disable your internet connection.
  • Run Combo-Fix.exe and follow the prompts.
    (Understand that things like your system clock changing and your desktop disappearing might happen. Do not worry, because all will be restored later.)
  • Wait for the scan to be completed.
  • If it requires a reboot, please do it.
• After the scan has completed entirely, please post the log here. The log will be located at C:\ComboFix(.txt)

Notes:

• 1.Do not mouse-click Combofix's window while it is running. That may cause it to stall.
    2. ComboFix may reset a number of Internet Explorer's settings, including making I-E the default browser.
    3. Combofix prevents autorun of ALL CD, floppy and USB devices to assist with malware removal & increase security. If this is an issue or makes it difficult for you -- please tell your helper.
    4. CF disconnects your machine from the internet. The connection is automatically restored before CF completes its run. If CF runs into difficulty and terminates prematurely, the connection can be manually restored by restarting your machine.

Follow with new scan using HijackThis:

Handling logs:

The only log that needs to be pasted in the reply is the HijackThis log.

All other logs and reports can be attached unless your helper asks otherwise.

no yejuhuwo in left hand column

surprise ... yejuhuwo.dll is not in the left hand column of LSP-FIX. should I go ahead and run combofix? or do something else?

Yes, wonder where it went! Go ahead and run Combofix. Follow with a new HJT- I can see if the entry is still present.

ran combofix

I ran combo fix and it appears to have cleaned up the yejuhuwo.dll file as indicated in the HJT log file.

There was a wierd message warning of combofix files from other sources at the beginning and did I want to continue - I said yes. Hope this was right.

Also, at the screen shot asking about some recovery part of MS I said NO, but it seems to have worked anyway. Should I run again and say yes?

That file was a bit freaky - is this all legit?

Combofix makes a recovery module of all it has deleted in case a user want to restore any of it.
Do you system a favor- don't make it carry such a heavy load around! Processes that start on boot run in the background. Most don't need to start at all- unless you want to use them- at which point you would start manually:

Start> Run> type in msconfig> enter> Selctive Startup> Startup tab> UNCHECK entries for the following:

All HP processes, including Digital Images.
Canon camera
Cyberlink
Webcam
Dell
Roxio
Real
Java
iPod
iTunes
Adobe Reader
WinZip
Smilebox:
smileboxtray.exe uses excessive system and memory resources with no corresponding benefit. Applications such as these should be disabled to improve overall system performance.

Click on Apply> OK when through.
Reboot the computer: NOTE: the first time you reboot after making changes, you will get a nag message- you can ignore this and close after checking 'don't show this message again.' Stay in Selective Startup.

If you like this, let me know and I'll tell you which processes to remove in the HijackThis log.Note: None of this is malware. None of it need to start on boot and run in the background.

The logs look good. I'd like you to run an online virus scan:
Open
Kaspersky Online Scanner in Internet Explorer

Note: If you are using Windows Vista, open your browser by right-clicking on its icon and select 'Run as administrator' to perform this scan.
  • Click Accept and the web scanner will begin to load
  • If a yellow warning bar appears at the top of the browser, click it and choose Install ActiveX Control
  • You will be prompted to install an ActiveX component from Kaspersky, click Install
  • If you are prompted about another ActiveX control called Kaspersky Online Scanner GUI part then allow it to be installed also.
  • The program will launch and then begin downloading the latest definition files:
  • Once the files have been downloaded click on NEXT and then Scan Settings
  • In the scan settings make that the following are selected:
    [o] Scan using the following Anti-Virus database> Extended (if available otherwise Standard)
    [o] Scan Options: Scan Archives> Scan Mail Bases
  • Click OK
  • Now under select a target to scan:
    [o] Select My Computer
  • The program will start to scan your system.
  • Once the scan is complete, click on the Save as Text button and save the file to your desktop
Note for Internet Explorer 7 users: If at any time you have trouble with the accept button of the license, click on the Zoom tool located at the right bottom of the IE window and set the zoom to 75 %. Once the license is accepted, reset to 100%.

Attach log for Kaspersky. If it's clean and if the original problem is resolved, I'll have you remove the cleaning tools and set clean restore point.

All Clean? Removed Start Up Items

I'm attaching the Kaspersky log file which is all clean.

Also, I've removed (unchecked) the recommended items from startup.ini. Let me know what I need to do in Hajack This Log. Thanks for this reco - it was going to be my next question once done with clean up.

That was my mistake on the LSPFix- sorry. But Combofix has handled it.

Please rescan with HijackThis and PASTE the new log in. I'll tell you what needs to be removed. did you follow the list for unchecking that I gave?

When that is done, I'll have you remove the cleaning tools and set new restore point.

HJT log

Yes - I unchecked the items you recommended in the startup.ini

Here is the latest HJT log

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 8:30:31 PM, on 11/5/2009
Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16915)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\issch.exe
C:\WINDOWS\OEM05Mon.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\Agent\mcagent.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\GrooveMonitor.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxsrvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe
C:\WINDOWS\RTHDCPL.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Digital Line Detect\DLG.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\Update Service\IntuitUpdateService.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee\SiteAdvisor\McSACore.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MSC\mcmscsvc.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\mcafee\mna\mcnasvc.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\mcafee\mcproxy\mcproxy.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcshield.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell Support Center\bin\sprtsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Canon\CAL\CALMAIN.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcsysmon.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee\MPF\MPFSrv.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = about:blank
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: scriptproxy - {7DB2D5A0-7241-4E79-B68D-6309F01C5231} - C:\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan\scriptsn.dll
O2 - BHO: McAfee SiteAdvisor BHO - {B164E929-A1B6-4A06-B104-2CD0E90A88FF} - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee\SITEAD~1\mcieplg.dll
O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - {E7E6F031-17CE-4C07-BC86-EABFE594F69C} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ie\jqs_plugin.dll
O3 - Toolbar: McAfee SiteAdvisor Toolbar - {0EBBBE48-BAD4-4B4C-8E5A-516ABECAE064} - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee\SITEAD~1\mcieplg.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISUSPM Startup] C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\INSTAL~1\UPDATE~1\ISUSPM.exe -startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISUSScheduler] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\issch.exe" -start
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [OEM05Mon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\OEM05Mon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [mcagent_exe] "C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\Agent\mcagent.exe" /runkey
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [GrooveMonitor] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\GrooveMonitor.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Persistence] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RTHDCPL] RTHDCPL.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (reboot)] "C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe" /runcleanupscript
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dellsupportcenter] "C:\Program Files\Dell Support Center\bin\sprtcmd.exe" /P dellsupportcenter
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Digital Line Detect.lnk = ?
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\Office12\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\npjpi160_17.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\npjpi160_17.dll
O9 - Extra button: Send to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: S&end to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\Office12\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {0CCA191D-13A6-4E29-B746-314DEE697D83} (Facebook Photo Uploader 5 Control) - http://upload.facebook.com/controls/2008.10.10_v5.5.8/FacebookPhotoUploader5.cab
O16 - DPF: {406B5949-7190-4245-91A9-30A17DE16AD0} (Snapfish Activia) - http://www1.snapfish.com/SnapfishActivia.cab
O16 - DPF: {41861299-EAB2-4DCC-986C-802AE12AC499} (RSClientPrint 2005 Class) - https://www.tastefullysimple.com/Re...&UICulture=1033&ReportStack=1&OpType=PrintCab
O16 - DPF: {6F15128C-E66A-490C-B848-5000B5ABEEAC} (HP Download Manager) - https://h20436.www2.hp.com/ediags/dex/secure/HPDEXAXO.cab
O16 - DPF: {A93D84FD-641F-43AE-B963-E6FA84BE7FE7} (LinkSys Content Update) - http://www.linksysfix.com/netcheck/67/install/gtdownls.cab
O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://fpdownload2.macromedia.com/get/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab
O18 - Protocol: dssrequest - {5513F07E-936B-4E52-9B00-067394E91CC5} - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee\SITEAD~1\mcieplg.dll
O18 - Protocol: grooveLocalGWS - {88FED34C-F0CA-4636-A375-3CB6248B04CD} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\GrooveSystemServices.dll
O18 - Protocol: sacore - {5513F07E-936B-4E52-9B00-067394E91CC5} - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee\SITEAD~1\mcieplg.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: !SASWinLogon - C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASWINLO.dll
O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
O23 - Service: Canon Camera Access Library 8 (CCALib8) - Canon Inc. - C:\Program Files\Canon\CAL\CALMAIN.exe
O23 - Service: Google Updater Service (gusvc) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe
O23 - Service: HauppaugeTVServer - Hauppauge Computer Works - C:\PROGRA~1\WinTV\HCWTVS~1.EXE
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1050\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: Intuit Update Service (IntuitUpdateService) - Intuit Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\Update Service\IntuitUpdateService.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: Java Quick Starter (JavaQuickStarterService) - Sun Microsystems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee SiteAdvisor Service - McAfee, Inc. - C:\Program Files\McAfee\SiteAdvisor\McSACore.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Services (mcmscsvc) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MSC\mcmscsvc.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Network Agent (McNASvc) - McAfee, Inc. - c:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\mcafee\mna\mcnasvc.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Scanner (McODS) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcods.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Proxy Service (McProxy) - McAfee, Inc. - c:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\mcafee\mcproxy\mcproxy.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Real-time Scanner (McShield) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcshield.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee SystemGuards (McSysmon) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcsysmon.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Personal Firewall Service (MpfService) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\Program Files\McAfee\MPF\MPFSrv.exe
O23 - Service: Pml Driver HPZ12 - HP - C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPZipm12.exe
O23 - Service: RoxMediaDB9 - Sonic Solutions - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\SharedCOM\RoxMediaDB9.exe
O23 - Service: Roxio Hard Drive Watcher 9 (RoxWatch9) - Sonic Solutions - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\SharedCOM\RoxWatch9.exe
O23 - Service: SupportSoft Sprocket Service (dellsupportcenter) (sprtsvc_dellsupportcenter) - SupportSoft, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Dell Support Center\bin\sprtsvc.exe
O23 - Service: stllssvr - MicroVision Development, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\SureThing Shared\stllssvr.exe

--
End of file - 8826 bytes

This will slim the system down:

Please reopen HijackThis to 'do system scan only'. Check each of the following entries if present::

C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell Support Center\bin\sprtsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Canon\CAL\CALMAIN.exe
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = about:blank
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - {E7E6F031-17CE-4C07-BC86-EABFE594F69C} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ie\jqs_plugin.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dellsupportcenter] "C:\Program Files\Dell Support Center\bin\sprtcmd.exe" /P dellsupportcenter

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Handle the Services as follows:
  • Check each entry in the HijackThis log
  • When you have booted into Safe Mode after removing them, do this:
  • Click on Start> Run> services.msc> double click on the name of each Service I have put in BOLD type
  • Change the Startup Type as I have indicated> Close the Services.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe>> set to Manual
O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe>> set to Manual
O23 - Service: Canon Camera Access Library 8 (CCALib8) - Canon Inc. - C:\Program Files\Canon\CAL\CALMAIN.exe>> set to Manual
O23 - Service: Google Updater Service (gusvc) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe>> set to Disabled
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe>> set to Manual
O23 - Service: Java Quick Starter (JavaQuickStarterService) - Sun Microsystems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe>> set to Disabled
O23 - Service: Pml Driver HPZ12 - HP - C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPZipm12.exe>> set to Manaul
O23 - Service: RoxMediaDB9 - Sonic Solutions - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\SharedCOM\RoxMediaDB9.exe>> set to Manual
O23 - Service: Roxio Hard Drive Watcher 9 (RoxWatch9) - Sonic Solutions - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\SharedCOM\RoxWatch9.exe>> set to Manual
O23 - Service: SupportSoft Sprocket Service (dellsupportcenter) (sprtsvc_dellsupportcenter) - SupportSoft, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Dell Support Center\bin\sprtsvc.exe
>> set to Disabled[/b]

Close all Windows except HijackThis and click on "Fix Checked"

Boot into Safe Mode
  • Restart your computer and start pressing the F8 key on your keyboard.
  • Select the Safe Mode option when the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, and then press ENTER.

If you don't use the Dell Support, go to Add/Remove Programs and uninstall Dell Support Center Then use Windows Explore> Programs> right click> Delete on the Dell Support Center folder.

If you get an error message that it is being use> open the Task Manager> highlight sprtsvc.exe> End Task- then unintall.

Make the changes to the Services that I have indicated above.

Reboot the computer.

A note: I was lazy so I combined the info for the Services- just to be clear:
For the 023 Services section:
1. Have the entry remove in HJT
2. After running HJT and booting into Safe Mode, make the Startup Type changes I recommended.

Let me know how it goes.

I cannot start the computer in Safe Mode. Each time I select safe mode from the option list it acts like it is restarting or booting up and then it brings me back to that same screen again. It basically will only let me start in normal mode. This started happening (or I noticed it) when I first got the virus and was trying to start fixing things.

is there some setting I need to change in msconfig or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back