Trying to run 3 monitors

Status
Not open for further replies.

abovocipher

Hello,

This is for my work computer and I'm trying to run 3 monitors to maximize my workspace. I already have to working off of one video card. Here's the hardware:

Mobo:
ecs 945GCT-HM (took me awhile to get the XP drivers for it since it came in a HP vista machine)

AGP vid card:
Nvidia geforce 6200 le

PCI vid card:
ATI rage xl

This is what I tried so far. The motherboard has on-board so I tried enabling it in the bios along with the agp. Seems that there was only a primary video option, and when I selected the onboard then the video card wouldn't put out anything. So I figured it'd be easier to get a cheap pci card and use that. Installed fine and in the device manager the drivers look ok, but I'm still not able to select the 3rd monitor.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

Well I haven't heard of windows operating systems supporting three monitors. However ATI software or NVIDIA software, depending on your video cards and whether they can support three monitors, have the ability to use three monitors. I don't know if they allow an extended desktop between three monitors, or if one is a clone.

update:

works, all I needed to do was make the PCI card the primary video in the BIOS and have the ati drivers installed. Then just make sure that the monitor is enabled in the Display Properties-settings, using 'extend my windows desktop onto this monitor' option.

The Rage XL kinda had a hard time with moving windows in and out of the screen, so I upgraded it to a Radeon 7200 that I had laying around. Runs great now and I didn't even need to update the drivers, worked right after installing.

Hope this helps anyone else that's trying to do the same thing. The extra desktop space is great. :)

Thanks for the update. I knew it was possible, but I didn't have any links handy to counter kquick's post so I just didn't say anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back