TV + monitor + one computer, something gave in

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sernomicus

I had a topic here earlier asking about how to hook up tv and monitor and use the extended desktop feature between em. Got that working, the tv is through hdmi/dvi cable. Worked fine for two days, then my monitor decided to lose its signal and went blank in the middle of nothing particular. No matter what I do now, it wont get a signal. Obviously my first guess was that I had bumbed the cord, so I checked and everything was firmly plugged in, did a reboot just to be sure. Strange thing was, although my tv had the primary deskpot set on it, it would only show the boot up of the computer, then when entering login sreen it went blank, but still had a signal. The monitor was blank the whole time. I proceeded to unplug the monitor cord, did a reboot and the tv showed everything properly.

if I plug in the monitor cord, it repeats the same problem.

Any ideas what's going on? Did my cord give in, my monitor or something in my pc? I can check the monitor and cord out with another pc tomorrow, but until then I'm dumbstruck :/

Alright, tested it. Monitor works perefctly, so does the wire when hooked up on another computer.

And because I can use my computer normally through the HDMI hooked up TV, this leads me to believe the socket got fried.

Is it possible to replace the socket (which is directly attached to the video card right?)? Or do I have to replace the card itself?

if the TV shows the boot-up and the monitor is blank, then you've got the cabling
reversed.

The boot sequence should always be on the computer monitor (ie primary)
and the other display device should be secondary.

You missed my point entirely. the TV is acting as the primary display, regardless when they were both operating right, both screens showed the boot up.

I've already determined the monitor works, the wires work, the computer works, but the socket for the monitor wire is fried.

Would just like to know if it's possible to replace it without actually replacing the whole video card.

no I did not and yes I understood your concern.

Alright so, if I somehow had the cabling reversed, how would I change it since this is the only way the cables can be attached. Neither does the computer recognize that there's a monitor plugged in, so I can't change the primary setting either.

And if it isn't the socket that's fried, why then did my monitor just suddenly in the middle of nothing important lose its signal and go blank, and has not since received signal from my video card?

Alright so, if I somehow had the cabling reversed, how would I change it since this is the only way the cables can be attached. Neither does the computer recognize that there's a monitor plugged in, so I can't change the primary setting either.

And if it isn't the socket that's fried, why then did my monitor just suddenly in the middle of nothing important lose its signal and go blank, and has not since received signal from my video card?
Interesting symptoms.
To get the cabling correct, shutdown and then disconnect the tv cable from the PC and then reboot. If your monitor is cabled correctly, you should have a normal display and it should not go blank after a few minutes of operation.

If there is NO display whatsoever at boot time, then the cabling is backwards -- swap the monitor cable to the other video connection.

btw: please post your system info into your profile so we can confirm the hardware.

swap the monitor cable to the other video connection.

Can you elaborate on that?

There's no "other" video connection possible for the monitor. Normal vga socket on both ends, computer and monitor. The default socket doesn't say vga, but instead has an engraving of a monitor next to it, yet it has the same colour as the vga socket (blue) so I'll presume it's vga as well.

Disconnecting the tv, and attaching the monitor + reboot = no response from the monitor. Has no signal, which still makes me want to know, if it's possible to replace just the socket that's apparently fried, or do I have to replace the whole video card.

I'm running a fujitsu with AMD ahtlon 64 x2 dual core processor 3800+, 1.99ghz

windows xp media center edition version 2002, service pack 3

video card is a crappy NVIDIA geforce 7500 LE

if that makes any difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back