Tweak radeon 9700 pro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

skv|Kimber

i cant find anything that will make my performance better. I want to be able to make sure im getting the best performance out of my card, without making the graphics look like garbage, but my fps on windows xp isnt too great. Got any ideas?!?!?

What system are you running this card on ? That card has some pretty incredible performance out of the box so I'm wondering how you can feel disappointed about its performance.

The R9700 Pro really flexes its muscle in high resolutions ( above 1024*768 ) & on high end systems ( 2GHZ & above ).

I remember the days where review articles would say "This card really shines in high resolutions so anyone with a 15" monitor doesn't need to buy it". When browsing on a few forums, I was amazed at the amount of people that used GF4 style cards with such monitors.:rolleyes:

i have an athalon xp 2200+ radeon 9700 pro, 1024 ddr, 100 gb 7200rpm, adsl, my computer isnt the problem, radeon drivers are horrible :p, it doesnt even allow me to turn off antialiasing lol, i just want a reg tweak that makes best performance with the same mitmap detail and texture detail, i use 1240 res on desktop, and in half-life 640 resolution, and my fps on some maps drops to 70 which is a joke lol, even my geforce 3 could pump more than that ;P. Even when its sitting still it flexes off 99 fps, sooooo ;o. On windows 2k its better, but there has to be a tweak to just pump up the volume ;o

I tried to answer to your FSAA problem here -> Help with radeon 9700pro

Running HL in 640 doesn't really stress out the card but if you have better performance in this same situation with a GF3, then there's indeed a problem.;)

You were previously using Beta DX9 drivers + Beta DX9 runtimes, have you gone back to DX 8.1 ?

Also make sure you have the latest Via 4 in 1 s ( if you happen to use a Via based board ). The 4.45 drivers are supposed to fix low scores on low resolutions. It was an AGP issue when AGP 8x was enabled.

Taking into the fact that the R9700 runs pretty hot & so would any Athlon ( ;) ), is your case sufficiently ventilated ?

Have you checked AGP Apperture ? Fast Writes ?

Are you overclocking anything ?

Have you checked AGP Apperture ? Fast Writes ?

i think fast writes is off, i dont know where to change it, in my bios??? or in windows?? and i duno wut the agp apperture is. my case is pretty hot, but not hot enough to make the radeon slower. and yes im using xp with dx 8.1 , cuz i have no clue where to find the dx9 anymore (radeon drivers with the dx9 not windows update or anything like that)

You bios has settings for agp aperture size. You can change it in there. I've read opinions suggesting it should be set to half the size of your system ram but have not had that much of a change in performance playing about with different aperture sizes. What games are you having issues with less than satisfactory fps in? It is more likely to be a driver/software issue than anything else.

I read that you are having problems with half life fps. The fact is that this game engine can't do more than 99 fps. The engine itself it probably the cause of the drop in fps rather than the card and its settings. My laptop with GF2Go 32mb does 99 fps in 1024 resolution for crying out loud and I'm pretty sure my system at home with a 9700 Pro can do 1600x1200 at 99 fps with pretty much max settings, I can't check cause I am away from home but I'll post back on friday after I've checked that. I'll let you know what my settings are in bios for the agp and fast writes etc. Have you run 3dmark2001SE? Does it report scores in line with those on the www.madonion.com website for the 9700 Pro with same processor as you running with the same front side bus settings? (133Mhz = 266 DDR fsb).

i get 99 fps in the game. my fps is better on 2k then it is in xp. My fps will dip from 99 to 60 in game ON 640 RESOLUTION. Ill go to my bios and change my aperture size if its not already changed, but it still doesnt stop the fact that on xp its dipping, and even on 2k it was dipping. Its a radeon 9700 pro, im using default settings, with vsync off. Its not getting great performance, compared to my gf3 that is, so there must be some things to change from default to make it better. And yes i have the newest via 4in1.

I changed my aperture size to 256 (highest it went). My bios had no setting for fast writes, or at least i think it didnt, i use a emachines t2200 with my ram and radeon 9700 pro. Im pretty sure its run off a soyo mobo, or at least the bios look very similar ;o.

Originally posted by skv|Kimber
I changed my aperture size to 256 (highest it went). My bios had no setting for fast writes, or at least i think it didnt, i use a emachines t2200 with my ram and radeon 9700 pro. Im pretty sure its run off a soyo mobo, or at least the bios look very similar ;o.

There is no reason to increase AGP aperture over 128 mb with the 9700pro (reported over at rage3d from a couple of people who tested it thoroughly)... (most just keep it at 64)...

What is your smartgart settings (control panel/settings/advanced/smartgart)?
What is your smartgart advanced settings (start/run/smartgart/ok)?
It could be that it's set AGP to 1x, or off for that matter...

Some people are experiencing problems with the VIA 4.45 AGP driver, so you might skip installing that... I've never had any problem with it myself though...

What version of control panel are you using? (Did you download a new control panel when you downloaded the cat's?) If not, grab them here

My guess is that you're experiencing problems due to Trueform with HL...
Try adding this to your autoexec.cfg:
ati_npatch 0

That should give you much better fps in Halflife...

Hope this helps :)

I hear the horrible dreaded word "Emachine". Still regardless of you having one of these you should not be getting your fps dipping to 60 fps at 640x480 resolution. Do you have the RefreshRate fix for WinXP? Also do you have Vsync switched off for OpenGL performance in the ATI Control panel?

You can pick up one of the ATI compatible refresh rate fixes here

That's right, OpenGL based Quake III Arena will run at only 60 Hz in XP! Both of these refresh rate settings will give you much added eyestrain and a nasty headache after playing for a while. This gaming refresh rate issue is such a HUGE and OBVIOUS problem, it makes you wonder how Microsoft can even ship an operating system with such a huge flaw.

im not running xp anymore, im now using 2k. it sits on 100, except in some situations where it drops to 60-70, i honestly think my fsaa is on, because i dont have a button to disable it, just to let the preference set it. Theres litterally no disable button.

im not running xp anymore, im now using 2k. it sits on 100, except in some situations where it drops to 60-70, i honestly think my fsaa is on, because i dont have a button to disable it, just to let the preference set it. Theres litterally no disable button.

There is definitely something other than ffsa. I ran my 9700 Pro on max AA and AF at 1024x768 and didn't notice any drop in fps.
I'll check different maps when I get back to Scotland as I haven't had that much of a chance to play about with the card yet :(

Very Interesting

I am also having the same problem !! I have a simmilar system to you also athalon xp 2400+ radeon 9700 pro, 1024 ddr, 40 gb 7200rpm. The difference is I have athalon 2400 and smaller harddrive. Radeon when I first installed wouldn't play in 3d mode and just like the fsp's were low. I changed the rate to 100 but it still never seemed to stay at a constant rate of 100. From what I read in the test this card should be the absolute best thing for playing counterstike.
Didou, mention something about Via 4 in 1 drivers. I have a mainboard mother board with VIA chips. 8x is enabled under the AGP setting in the CMOS.
MrGaribaldi, you can't skip installing the VIA 4.45 AGP driver or you system will run really slowly and the graphics are worse. Tested this out myself including using the newest version and old versions. I've tried everything I think the Motherboard Chipset does not properly match the video card. I had a Voodoo 5000 that ran much better than this card.
Arris, Emachine is a scarry place to be however I am not the place. I peaced this system together buying parts from pricewatch.com.
Still running XP and i'm in CAL also now. (not a good place to be with 70 fsp)

my smartgart settings r :
set agp speed - off
fast write : off

AGP speed is off?

Try Re-installing your chipset drivers.

Running CS on an R9700PRO doesn't exactly stress the card, do you play any other games? Otherwise, it's overkill... unless you plan on grabbing some current games, and running at 640? My eyes would bleed...:)

Application preference is off for FSAA and AF:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back