Twitch's new Free Games With Prime program offers a collection of freebies each month

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Twitch has announced a new program that’ll grant Twitch Prime members access to a collection of free games each month. Once downloaded, they’re yours to keep forever.

Aptly called Free Games with Prime, the program launches on March 15 with two titles: the excellent first-person shooter Superhot and Oxenfree. Shadow Tactics, Tales from Candlekeep: Tomb of Annihilation and Mr. Shifty are also in the pipeline for March and will join Tales from the Borderlands, SteamWorld Dig 2, Kingsway, Tokyo 42 and DubWars come next month.

Twitch notes that all eight titles from the Indie Amplifier program will be made available for free over the coming months including Treadnauts, High Hell, Tumblestone and I, Hope. Some of these games may not interest you much although others, like Superhot and Tales from the Borderlands, are instant classics worth revisiting or trying for the first time.

Twitch Prime is a free perk that comes as part of an Amazon Prime membership. Amazon, if you recall, purchased Twitch out from under Google in mid-2014 for $1 billion.

Microsoft and Sony offer similar “free game” programs for their respective Xbox and PlayStation platforms.

Amazon Prime subscriptions start at $12.99 per month, or $99 per year. Those participating in select government assistance programs can score a Prime account for just $5.99 per month.

Permalink to story.

"Once downloaded, they’re yours to keep forever."

Oh goody....more games to add to my growing Steam collection of games (400+) that I'll probably never play. ;-)

Oh goody....more games to add to my growing Steam collection of games (400+) that I'll probably never play. ;-)

Except they are not Steam games. You need the Twitch app on your PC to download the game. If memory serves me (away from gaming PC), you can launch the game without the app running. And the app will allow you to watch twitch.

But but but can I download it anytime after the first download or I have to keep the game forever on my HD? It is not clear.

But but but can I download it anytime after the first download or I have to keep the game forever on my HD? It is not clear.

Well I'm just assuming here but if they are following a similar structure to Netflix then you will be able to Install the game as many times as you want from wherever you are providing the title is available on thier server.

If it's 6 new games each month then for $12.99 it's not very value for money (unless of course you also use other Amazon Prime Content).

Microsofts Xbox Game Pass is only £7.99 (so is that about $10?) which is a lot more affordable, but if you are a pc gamer there is only about 3 titles so far that you can play - Zoo Tycoon, Gears of War 4, Recore....

However more will be added soon - Sea of Thieves, We Happy Few. You may be able to find a few more in the links below.

If you google Xbox Play Anywhere and Xbox Game Pass you can find out more

That's what Playstation+, Amazon Underground, et. al. tried to get us to think. Too many services do indeed let you KEEP them forever, you just can't PLAY them unless you keep paying. (fine print).

I used Twitch for a freebee from WG for two day. Refused to pay for another Prime added program. You pay for Prime, you pay for Netflix, twitch Hulu before you know it you are paying more for less content that interested you.

Back