Twitter disables video in Trump retweet after copyright complaint from Linkin Park

midian182

Staff member
In brief: Another day, another Donald Trump/Twitter controversy. This time, the site has taken down a campaign video retweeted by the president following a copyright complaint from rock band Linkin Park.

On Saturday, Trump retweeted a video that had been uploaded by White House social media director Dan Scavino a day earlier. The campaign-style clip featured Linken Park's 2002 hit single 'In the End,' and the Nu-metal giants weren't pleased.

The band posted a Tweet that read: "Linkin Park did not and does not endorse Trump, nor authorize his organization to use any of our music. A cease and desist has been issued." A Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) notice was issued by Machine Shop Entertainment, a management company owned by Linkin Park, and was posted to the Lumen Database, which collects legal complaints and requests for removal of online materials.

Despite being a prolific user of the platform, it seems Trump and Twitter have a love/hate relationship. The president said the service was "interfering in the 2020 presidential election," after it labeled one of his tweets with a fact-check warning back in May. A month later, a retweeted video showing a fake CNN news report on a 'racist baby' was labeled as "manipulated media" by Twitter before it was also disabled following a copyright complaint.

Another Trump campaign video, titled "Healing Not Hatred," that featured images of the late George Floyd was recently removed from Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram following a DMCA complaint from the copyright holder.

Permalink to story.

I listened to see what the fuss was about. It was a cover of the song (though it seems everyone makes it out to sound like it was the original Linkin Park version).

Maybe the guy that used it thought that mattered lol

Isn't it amazing that a guy that claims to be the smartest & richest (yet won't show his transcripts or taxes) has to resort to plagiarism of music, video's, and little hands (had to toss that one it). The more I see of him the more I understand his nieces book and all the analysis there in ......

How is he not?

Was that some kind of joke?
First the account "Dan Scavino" isn't the Donald Trump account. Dan Scavino according to this very article is the White House social media Director. Second, as if it was necessary, "plagiarizing" would mean that the one who commits plagiarism is someone taking someone elses's work and or ideas and passing them as one's own. And not only that but the video was of a cover, not the original Linking Park song, something this article fails to specify. AND is that one cover that appeared in so many comercials and what not, even here in Argentina where I am from and live.

Last edited:
Everything twitter does against Trump will only make his supporters stronger. It’s like the media clearly are always trying to catch him out and that just makes him look good. If they just ignored his outrageous remarks they’d render him inert but instead they feed out of the palm of his hand.

I have a feeling Trump will win this election because I haven’t heard anything but “I hate trump” from his critics and usually these sort of parties fail to get office in the west.

It’s a sorry state of affairs, If I lived in America I’d be furious at the democrats for fielding Hillary and now Biden who seems only about half there.

The crazies have overrun the asylum in the US now, so anything is possible. He may be "an utter horror of a human being" but he may still win... Even more sad is that if he does lose he will just claim it was rigged - as he is a massive narcissist too.

The crazies have overrun the asylum in the US now, so anything is possible. He may be "an utter horror of a human being" but he may still win... Even more sad is that if he does lose he will just claim it was rigged - as he is a massive narcissist too.
pretty sure everyone said the election was rigged when HE won too but ok.

Was that some kind of joke?
First the account "Dan Scavino" isn't the Donald Trump account. Dan Scavino according to this very article is the White House social media Director. Second, as if it was necessary, "plagiarizing" would mean that the one who commits plagiarism is someone taking someone elses's work and or ideas and passing them as one's own. And not only that but the video was of a cover, not the original Linking Park song, something this article fails to specify. AND is that one cover that appeared in so many comercials and what not, even here in Argentina where I am from and live.
A cover of a song is still the same song. Stop smoking meth and go back to your trailerpark.

"The song’s copyright owner must give you a mechanical license if you pay a royalty fee based on estimated revenue from your cover song. " -Legalzoom

Everything twitter does against Trump will only make his supporters stronger. It’s like the media clearly are always trying to catch him out and that just makes him look good. If they just ignored his outrageous remarks they’d render him inert but instead they feed out of the palm of his hand.

I have a feeling Trump will win this election because I haven’t heard anything but “I hate trump” from his critics and usually these sort of parties fail to get office in the west.

It’s a sorry state of affairs, If I lived in America I’d be furious at the democrats for fielding Hillary and now Biden who seems only about half there.
Only half there? As opposed to a bat **** crazy, lying, xenophobe racist that can't speak a word of truth and has no moral compass or empathy? I'll take my chances with Joe, at least he's actually been in public office before.

has to resort to plagiarism of music
Plagiarism and copyright are similar in many ways but they’re not the same. You used the term plagiarism. “Correct terminology matters.” In the same way when referring to someone by the wrong pronoun can get you fired, fined or jailed. “Words Matter,” snowflakes are a delicate thing.

Trump has spread false theories of the corona virus and has lead the world's worst response to the virus, leading to the unnecessary death of many Americans. He also spread false conspiracies, encouraged death threats against people who don't agree with him, and has supported racism.

Trump supporters are an ever shrinking number because Trump constantly attacks anyone who doesn't absolutely agree with whatever inane ideas happen to be in his head. Heck, half the time Trump can't even agree what he thinks as you can see him completely flip flop in a single sentence.

Last edited:
Guide on how to get views and engagement on a news story:
Step 1, Make sure you include the word "Trump" in the title.
Step 2, Include a picture of the Trump (pointing or pulling a silly face will optimize the post).
Step 3, Sit back and watch the comment section erupt as political experts abuse their mechanical keyboards.
Step 4, Profit.

A cover of a song is still the same song. Stop smoking meth and go back to your trailerpark.

"The song’s copyright owner must give you a mechanical license if you pay a royalty fee based on estimated revenue from your cover song. " -Legalzoom

I don't live in a "trailerpark" nor I "smoke meth" and we don't have "trailerparks" here in Argentina, neither that would have anything to do with this, Mister Cheap Hateful Prejudices.
And never said that was the reason the other guy is wrong, but the other two before. That was just to add to the absurdity of the situation: that the song used wasn't the original from Linking Park but a cover, a thing it isn't mentioned in the article, that it is used almost freely for many other things...of course not on that, because oh..."cheeto H itler"...but lets, for example, bow to China, and their concentration camps, the human rights violations of their own and their conquered, the authoritarianism, the slavery, the constant violation of property rights, the buying of people in all countries (especially the cheaper, more treacherous and more immoral of them all: leftists professors hahah! look it up), their political meddling ("but but muh Russia narrative!") the global colonialist expasionism, their constant gifts to the world in forms of deseases, unlimited pollution, animal extintions, no animal rights, no morality of any kind, genocides in the hundreds of millions...Germany in the 30's 40's got nothing on the CPC, NOTHING...aah the right side...hahahaha!

That was just to add to the absurdity of the situation: that the song used wasn't the original from Linking Park but a cover, a thing it isn't mentioned in the article, that it is used almost freely for many other things.
Almost freely and freely are two different things. In the US, it is still protected by copyright laws and anyone wanting to use this must get permission from Linkin Park since they are the legal copyright owner even though its a derivative (cover) work.

Trump seems to think that he can just do what he wants and has done this before without getting permission from the copyright owners, so this is on Trump. Whether he believes he is or not, he is still subject to US law.

I don't blame anyone with copyrighted material that reacts in a similar fashion - whether Trump is involved or not.

Yup. Didn't say otherwise.
Since you said in your original post that you did not get what the fuss was about, I figured that I would edify you on the fact that Trump was in violation of the copyright.

Personally, I don't subscribe to Trump's claim he is above the law. That's the definition of a dictator, not a president.

Since you said in your original post that you did not get what the fuss was about, I figured that I would edify you on the fact that Trump was in violation of the copyright.

Personally, I don't subscribe to Trump's claim he is above the law. That's the definition of a dictator, not a president.
I did not. That's 0/2 assumptions that you've got right.

Guide on how to get views and engagement on a news story:
Step 1, Make sure you include the word "Trump" in the title.
Step 2, Include a picture of the Trump (pointing or pulling a silly face will optimize the post).
Step 3, Sit back and watch the comment section erupt as political experts abuse their mechanical keyboards.
Step 4, Profit.

Hey, I have an optical keyboard :)

Almost freely and freely are two different things. In the US, it is still protected by copyright laws and anyone wanting to use this must get permission from Linkin Park since they are the legal copyright owner even though its a derivative (cover) work.

Trump seems to think that he can just do what he wants and has done this before without getting permission from the copyright owners, so this is on Trump. Whether he believes he is or not, he is still subject to US law.

I don't blame anyone with copyrighted material that reacts in a similar fashion - whether Trump is involved or not.

Again the same, Trump didn't do it. When he does he does, but here, he didn't do it. Which makes the last pharagraph an irony.
Also, you missed the point too.

Back