Two drives in same location

I have a Dell Optiplex 170L with XP OS and a 40 GB PATA hard drive. I have purchased a WD 2 TB SATA hard drive and connected it to the SATA0 port on the motherboard. When I look at the BIOS, the SATA drive appears and the Primary Master PATA also appears. My OS is on the PATA drive, and I boot Windows there, as the SATA has nothing on it, yet. I can run Plug n Play and it will find the SATA drive. I look in the Device Manager and it shows the SATA drive, however, when I look at the properties for each drive it reveals they have the same location 0 (0) and both are working properly. When I look at "My Computer" only the C: is showing and when I click on Properties, and then Hardware, both HDs appear. When I go to Disk Management, again, only the C: drive appears for HDs and it reports "Healthy". Again, clicking on the Properties shows both drives.

I have rebooted, uninstalled the new HD, changed the drive letter for the CD, all of these things have yet to resolve the problem. I do not see any place to import the drive onto Disk Management, nor is there any way to format the disk and put the OS on it since it does not show up anywhere.

I think I need to be able to change the location of the drive from 0 (0), but cannot find a way to do that.

The new drive needs to be initialized and formatted. See if you can download a drive install program from the new drives support website

Thanks for your reply, Tmagic650. I did finally get it set up by connecting to the SATA0 port and with the use of Acronis I was able to split the new drive away in Disk Manager. Problem is now solved.

Back