Two mines in North Carolina are the world's only producer of the quartz necessary for semiconductor manufacturing

emorphy

Staff
Why it matters: Ultra-high-purity quartz is an essential component to semiconductor chips, and the only places in the world that can meet this need are two mines in a small North Carolina town. The mines' owner, Sibelco, is investing $700 million to expand capacity, but is that enough to keep up with AI-fueled chip demand?

Spruce Pine is a small town about two hours drive northwest of Charlotte, NC. You can get to the general area via a number of ways, depending on your point of origin, but for the last stretch of the trip, you need to travel down Fish Hatchery Rd. It's a two-lane rural highway, as depicted in Google Maps, set amid a pleasant scenic backdrop.

It's on this road that the modern economy rests, according to Wharton associate professor Ethan Mollick, who teaches innovation and entrepreneurship and also examines the effects of artificial intelligence on work and education. That's because the road runs to the two mines that are the sole supplier of the quartz required to make the crucibles needed to refine silicon wafers.

This is not the first time these mines – owned by Sibelco, which mines, processes, and sells specialty industrial minerals – have been highlighted as integral not only to the global semiconductor industry but also to the solar photovoltaic markets.

Ed Conway raised the issue in his book, Material World, published last summer. Even before that, various media have covered the obscure mines. Mollick raised it again in a recent Tweet, emphasizing its strategic importance. If the mines were somehow to stop operating, "it would likely [be] a few years of major disruption while techniques to generate alternatives were scaled up. But the disruption would be pretty catastrophic."

It is an alarming prospect to contemplate, and it is fair to wonder whether Mollick is indulging in a bit of hyperbole. But there is no denying the fact that digital devices around the world contain a small piece of Spruce Pine's unique ultra-high-purity quartz. "It does boggle the mind a bit to consider that inside nearly every cell phone and computer chip you'll find quartz from Spruce Pine," Rolf Pippert, mine manager at Quartz Corp, a leading supplier of high-quality quartz, tells the BBC.

How did this unassuming North Carolina town gain such an outsized role in the global semiconductor supply chain? The answer is its unique mineral deposits, which formed 380 million years ago during the collision of Africa and North America. The intense heat and lack of water during their formation created quartz rock of unparalleled purity. These rocks are extracted from the ground and turned into quartz gravel, which is then processed into a fine sand. The silicon is separated from other minerals and then goes through a final milling. The final product is a powder that is shipped to refineries.

The inexorable march of artificial intelligence will continue to drive demand for chips and the materials in its supply chain. One question to ponder is whether Spruce Pine can keep up.

Sibelco, of course, has noted these trends as well and last year announced a $200 million investment to double high purity quartz capacity at its Spruce Pine facility, citing demand for the product, which is sold under the brand name IOTA. It will invest a further $500 million between 2024 and 2027.

Permalink to story.

Can say the same thing about numerous mines throughout the world… there’s a reason that Covid sucked (other than the deaths and quarantines obviously).

Global supply chain relies on very specific materials located in various places… zinc, cobalt, lithium, quartz, etc…
It’s no longer just oil - although that’s still huge …

This seems like an article designed to scare people. Who is going to close the only mine? May as well write an article about the eastern seaboard being ten feet underwater. Oh Wait they did that. Worried about sabotage? Close the border, decrease the probability.
My bigger concern would be: what happens when Spruce Pines runs out? How much of that high purity quartz is left in there?

My bigger concern would be: what happens when Spruce Pines runs out? How much of that high purity quartz is left in there?
Several decades worth and I'm sure there are other deposits around the world that haven't been discovered yet. People just aren't looking for it because it isn't nearly as profitable as oil, coal or natural gas.

This seems like an article designed to scare people. Who is going to close the only mine? May as well write an article about the eastern seaboard being ten feet underwater. Oh Wait they did that. Worried about sabotage? Close the border, decrease the probability.
Look up SPOF and why it should be avoided at all costs. Complete utilities have been shut down in the US several times already by hackers, if you think border closures solve anything, you live in the 80s.

I'm sure there's already some other sources, otherwise I doubt Uncle Sam would let the press publish an article that might as well be called 'Enemies of the US: hit *these specific targets* with some form of disruption and you might topple over the entire empire'

Quartz is the second most abundant element on earth, composing about 20% of the earth's crust. The only reason there aren't more mines is that these two easily fill the entire world's supply. This is an article designed to scare the unthinking.

Silicon is also a common element, but how many companies are able to turn it into high-performance chips?

Quartz purity is crucial in applications such as semiconductors, optics and advanced electronics, where even small impurities can affect performance. Processes such as zone fusion, chemical vapor deposition, and chemical purification methods are commonly used to obtain high-purity quartz, but these processes can be expensive and require technical expertise that does not appear overnight.

Several decades worth and I'm sure there are other deposits around the world that haven't been discovered yet. People just aren't looking for it because it isn't nearly as profitable as oil, coal or natural gas.

That.

Sounds like the owners should increase the cost to fund finding alternative sites and securing mineral rights

Key words in the article: High Purity
border closure solves most everything
You're free to believe anything that you want. Just because you believe it and others have said so, does not make it true. Border closings won't stop a cyber attack, but keep believing they will and maybe your belief will make it happen.

Well, I guess every article about stuff that is specific to any particular country or region and is required for high-tech manufacturing is fear mongering by the standards of some.

Key words in the article: High Purity

You're free to believe anything that you want. Just because you believe it and others have said so, does not make it true. Border closings won't stop a cyber attack, but keep believing they will and maybe your belief will make it happen.

Well, I guess every article about stuff that is specific to any particular country or region and is required for high-tech manufacturing is fear mongering by the standards of some.
Who is to say it won't? You? or someone in the Biden administration?

The Spruce Pine Plutonic Suite is enormous, the mining district covers three counties. The quartz was considered gaunge material (waste rock) at one time, and that is why it was used for the sand traps at Augusta. Another fun fact, when the quartz crucibles are beyond spec for drawing a silicon crystal, they are prized by the Japanese for ceremonial use because they will resonate like a giant wine glass. Too bad this article did not include a picture, the quartz crucible is pretty cool looking.

The article is in error stating intense heat and dry conditions formed the deposit. The granodiorite and associated pegamatites in spruce Pine formed under great pressure (depth of 20-30km) at about 500-650C. At those conditions there is a considerable hydrous component in the magma (Swanson et al. 2010).

That.

Sounds like the owners should increase the cost to fund finding alternative sites and securing mineral rights
The world is awash with sand and it's not suitable at all for semiconductor. Do you not think the earth has been probed and prodded for other sources of this class of quartz. This is the problem, this is the only source on earth we've found. Any country that found a new source suitable for the semiconductor industry would be making a killing. All resources are finite, as sure the sun rises in the eat, these mines will run out and the pace the mine depletes will accelrate as demand surges. It is time to rapidly look beyond silicon.

Do you not think the earth has been probed and prodded for other sources of this class of quartz.. this is the only source on earth we've found.
Nonsense. Mines at Spruce Pine have been operating for 150 years; far before the semiconductor era. Do you think they were searching specifically for a semiconductor grade quartz in 1840? Every large deposit of quartz on earth contains pockets of high purity material.

Furthermore, you don't even *need* high purity quartz. Lower quality grades can be used -- it simply requires more time and cost to burn out the impurities. And why go through that trouble, when high-purity quartz is so abundant? In fact, applications which require the utmost in purity already aren't using natural quartz at all -- they're making synthetic quartz, from scratch.

All resources are finite, as sure the sun rises in the eat [sic], these mines will run out
Technically true. However, since the dawn of the semiconductor era, we've consumed less than 0.00000000001% of those finite resources of quartz. I wouldn't advise holding your breath for the day we run out.

The world is awash with sand and it's not suitable at all for semiconductor. Do you not think the earth has been probed and prodded for other sources of this class of quartz. This is the problem, this is the only source on earth we've found. Any country that found a new source suitable for the semiconductor industry would be making a killing. All resources are finite, as sure the sun rises in the eat, these mines will run out and the pace the mine depletes will accelrate as demand surges. It is time to rapidly look beyond silicon.

I do think no-one is looking harder .. why would they the cost to acquire is too high (right now) until it becomes a constrained (not the same as limited) resource.

Back