Two PCs on same connection have different download speeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

pimpmypc

Hello, I am having a big problem on one computer and cant figure it out. Both computers are windows 7 home premium running same software. One computer gets around 11 mbit download and one gets like 2-4 mbit both hard wired to same router. Anyone have any ideas?

1. check the cables makes sure there good
2. check link speed is not set to auto (make the speed of your router port speed)
3. disable any power saving mode
4. enable offloading (all of them) for the nic only
5. make sure router firmware is up to date
6. make sure drivers for NIC on the systems be up to day
7. make sure 7 is up to date
8. if okay go to 9 if not go to 10
9. For the Windows 7 network tweaks..
Below is my tweak after modification.

Querying active state...

TCP Global Parameters
----------------------------------------------
Receive-Side Scaling State : enabled
Chimney Offload State : automatic
NetDMA State : enabled
Direct Cache Acess (DCA) : disabled
Receive Window Auto-Tuning Level : normal
Add-On Congestion Control Provider : ctcp
ECN Capability : disabled
RFC 1323 Timestamps : disabled
** The above autotuninglevel setting is the result of Windows Scaling heuristics
overriding any local/policy configuration on at least one profile.

Note: Same tweaks are used on 100mbps, 1000mbps, 802.11g, 802.11n.

To access this under Windows 7 do this:

Go under all programs,
accessories,
right click on command prompt click on Run As Administrator.

Type: netsh int tcp show global > c:\mysettings.txt

Exit out and go into the computer folder and pull out this file and open it in notepad. Copy and paste your results in the next reply back from you.

If you done all, reset the router back to the factory defaults
Scan system for pest, registry errors, HDD fragmentation

Still nothing, un-plug the power on the router and modem and wait 30 seconds
Reboot all systems

Router could have duff ports (bad) try different ports
If still a no go try a different router.

how do i check the link speed. Its an att router 2 wire. I can't get another one its the only one they use. It cant be the computer because the other computer has the right speed. I just reinstalled windows on this computer too and nothing happened. Im starting to think maybe the port but im not so sure.

Down near the clock in the system tray should be PC/Monitor. Right click on open Network Sharing Center Look at your far left, is should say Change Network Adapter Settings. Click on that then select the wired gig. Right click on that then on properties. Click on Configure look for Speed & Duplex (this is where you change the NiC speed) and make sure all Offload is enabled.

Well I've given you some options to try. Leave the router to the last. You should call up your ISP and let them test your line to see if you're getting the the download and upload speeds your suppose to get. Well as close to it.

its on auto negloation is that what it should be. Its not the router and it's not the ethernet cable. I only have a download bandwidth problem. The upload never has a problem.

anything else to check. I noticed the ipv6 has no internet access idk if that means anything.

its on auto negloation is that what it should be. Its not the router and it's not the ethernet cable. I only have a download bandwidth problem. The upload never has a problem.

anything else to check. I noticed the ipv6 has no internet access idk if that means anything.

Router my not be able to support IPV6. So you're using IPV4. Set that from auto to the router speed it can handle by port. Otherwise leave it at Auto if you don't know?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back