Two Routers in series

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have two D-Link DIR-655 XTreme-N Gigabit Wireless Routers. Pretend, for my explanation, that there is no wireless activity, because that's not where the problem is.

My cable modem is downstairs, connected to the first Router (I'll call it "Router A").
Router A is connected to a few systems, and the router upstairs ("Router B").
Router B is connected to a few systems.
No systems upstairs can connect to the intenet, I believe because of a communication error between the two routers. Internet works fine downstairs.

So to summarize Router A can find and access the internet, but Router B, connecting through Router A cannot. I thought that the upstairs router would be able to access through another router the same as any other connection, but it can't for some reason.

I want to find out how to run these two routers in series so that I can have mulitple connections in each end of the house. Can anyone give me some insight into how to set this up?

Each of your routers need to be setup individually, and not through each other.
Once setup, plug the one router into the other. You should have no problems.
But your system would be happier with a switch or even a hub.
Are Router A and B the same brand? When each is used alone, do you get the same readings? Do you have VPN? or other security that could be blocking the second router out?

the easy way is to take one LAN port from A and connect to a LAN port on B, ignoring the WAN port on the B router.

FIRST however, disconnect to two routers. Using any system connected to B,
access the router's config page. Now disable DHCP and save the settings.

Connect the two routers

All systems should have addresses which are the same in the first three positions,
eg 192.168.1.x

You're good to go if all systems can do this
run->cmd /k ping www.google.com

It is possible, see
www dot grc dot com/nat/nat dot htm
www dot grc dot com/nat/nats dot htm

Pitfalls - NAT and DHCP...

What make, model code AND firmware versions are the routers?

raybay
Both routers are identical. Both routers, when connected to the modem directly, do work. But I just can't make them work in series.

joebeard
You want me to try attachin the LAN port from A to a LAN port on B? I will try that as soon as I get a chance. And I will reconfigure the assigned IPs to all begin with the same 3 codes

oasisdolphin
Thank you very much for the link. I'm reading through it now.
Make: D-Link
Model: DIR-655 (XTreme N Gigabit)
Firmware: 1.02, 2006/10/13
I think there is a newer firmware.

I will try all of these solutions as soon as I get a chance. I should be able to in less than 2 hours. I`ll post once I`ve tried them all

You want me to try attachin the LAN port from A to a LAN port on B?
YES and this is NOT what was shown in the sites quoted above BY DESIGN.
This solution is the SIMPLE choice with least complications. The B-router will be
performing as a SWITCH (not a router) and the A-router will control everything with
the DHCP service from A.
I will try that as soon as I get a chance. And I will reconfigure the assigned IPs to all begin with the same 3 codes
Yes and now.. You don't configure it, you let A-router DHCP do that work
and the identical xxx.yyy.zzz.? is just confirmation that it is all on the same subnet.

The sitations by OasisDolphin are good stuff but all the A systems would be separate from the B systems and file/print sharing becomes more difficult -- which is why my suggestion is connect LAN-2-LAN.

What was suggestedin the link supplied by oasisdolphin didn't do the trick. But we may have encountered a new problem with Router A, so we are working on that. I will try connecting them LAN-2-LAN shortly.

Hopefully this helps a bit...

Hi,

This is Tristan's Roommate. Here is a diagram of our network.
Still have to try the lan to lan thing, but yea.

i104.photobucket.com/albums/m164/cian_tucke/diagram.jpg

Sorry for the link, but the thing wont let me clip, because I only have 3 posts.

Hi,

This is Tristan's Roommate. Here is a diagram of our network.
Still have to try the lan to lan thing, but yea.

i104.photobucket.com/albums/m164/cian_tucke/diagram.jpg
Good drawing :)

Do the LAN-LAn and everything will work. You may have issues with the B-connected
Xbox due to port-forwarding -- but we will see :)

If you need extra slots for devices, buy a SWITCH, not a hub -- better network performance :)

Current firmware is 1.11 stable they just release 1.20 but it has issues. 1.20b was release to fix those issues, but I recommend staying with 1.11 for now.

I have this router myself, but you can't use it as a WDS on the second one. Buy a switch not a HUB. Connect the distance you want from the switch to the other DIR-655 to use it as wireless access point. What DLINK wanted DIR-655 owners to do was to go out and buy DAP-1522 which is WDS (100%) doesn't need to be used with any switch it can run on it's own using wireless connection. It can make any wired device wireless. It has 4 ports and doesn't have any ANT on its all built-in.

A=DIR-655 is your DHCP/NAT
B=DIR-655 has DHCP and NAT disabled to use as Wireless Access point through a wired Switch.

May setup in my network closet. (DIR-655 (top) - 8-port prosafe 96KB un-managed switch (middle)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back