Uber's sexual harassment investigation has already seen 20 employees fired

midian182

Staff member

Back in February, former Uber engineer Susan Fowler wrote a scathing blog post detailing her time at the ride-hailing firm. Now, it's been revealed that the investigation into her allegations of sexual harassment has led to 20 employees, including some senior executives, being fired.

News of the terminations came from law firm Perkins Coie LLP (via Bloomberg), which Uber hired to lead the investigation. Former US Attorney General Eric Holder is heading up a separate investigation, the results of which are expected to be made public next week.

The employees who were fired have not been named. Their dismissals came after the law firm’s review of 215 “inappropriate workplace instances.” These were broken down into 54 for discrimination, 47 for sexual harassment, 45 for unprofessional behavior, 33 for bullying, 13 for retaliation, 19 for “other” harassment, three for physical security, and one for wrongful termination.

57 of the claims are still under review, 100 resulted in no action being taken, and seven have led to final written warnings. 31 of the employees named in the complaints are now in counseling or undergoing training.

The investigation's findings follow a series of moves by Uber to improve its image. CEO Travis Kalanick asked for his senior vice president of engineering, Amit Singhal, to resign in February after the company learned of sexual harassment allegations against him while he was at Google. Singhal denies the claims.

Uber has also hired two women in senior executive roles: Harvard Business School Professor Frances Frei and Bozoma Saint John, Apple’s former head of global and consumer marketing for iTunes and Apple Music. John made headlines last year for her presentation at WWDC, where she got the audience to rap along to The Sugarhill Gang's "Rapper's Delight."

Permalink to story.

Doesn't sound that bad. I mean sexual harassment is always bad but I bet most companies have similar or higher results. Shame they have to hire women to prevent sexual harassment, would have preferred they hired them for their skill not their genitalia.

Doesn't sound that bad. I mean sexual harassment is always bad but I bet most companies have similar or higher results. Shame they have to hire women to prevent sexual harassment, would have preferred they hired them for their skill not their genitalia.
Just as long as they can show staff diversity. Staff diversity seems be far more fashionable these days than employing the most appropriate candidate for a particular position.

Perhaps they need to put them through the "Cosby" test beforehand? At least they would all be able to agree on ONE thing ....

How to avoid corporate sexual harassment in 5 easy steps:

1. Never mention a female colleague's looks, positively or negatively.
2. Never ask a female colleague out.
3. Never view a female colleague as anything other than a colleague.
4. Under no circumstance share a vehicle or any other private space with a female colleague.
5. Do not conduct "guy talk" around female colleagues or low SMV male colleagues.

You may ignore all of these if you are exceptionally attractive and very good with women.

How to avoid corporate sexual harassment in 5 easy steps:

1. Never mention a female colleague's looks, positively or negatively.
2. Never ask a female colleague out.
3. Never view a female colleague as anything other than a colleague.
4. Under no circumstance share a vehicle or any other private space with a female colleague.
5. Do not conduct "guy talk" around female colleagues or low SMV male colleagues.

You may ignore all of these if you are exceptionally attractive and very good with women.

I guess we can know that you are neither of those things if you've derived this rule set to live by.

I guess we can know that you are neither of those things if you've derived this rule set to live by.

^^ This would be an example of No. 5. This is the type of dude who lectures you on sexism when you say something like, "hey, check her out..." when a hot chick walks by.

^^ This would be an example of No. 5. This is the type of dude who lectures you on sexism when you say something like, "hey, check her out..." when a hot chick walks by.
You're still using the rules that don't apply to ugly and socially awkward people though.

You're still using the rules that don't apply to ugly and socially awkward people though.

Those rules are specifically for unattractive and socially awkward people. Like it or not, women are openly hostile to any type of perceived advance by (physically or socially) unattractive men. Follow the guide above and you can never be accused of sexual harassment, because you will never be in a situation where that is remotely possible.

Attractive people get to play by a different rule set. Specifically, much fewer to no rules, depending on attractiveness. Ergo, "you can ignore this if you're attractive."

I don't make the rules. I just know what they are. These Uber fellows clearly don't.

Back